teknoge3k
Forum geek

Share your 2018 Black Friday experience

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:25 pm

How did you do?
What hours did you spend shopping?
Where all did you go?
What great deals did you score?

Share your Black Friday experience here!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Re: Share your 2018 Black Friday experience

Postby Shopper X » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:57 am

I went out at around 10:00 pm Thursday, to Target and then Walmart. Both stores were not crowded, but both were also pretty much cleaned out of most of the good doorbuster items. At Target, I managed to find the last $10 slow cooker sitting on the side of the aisle. I got back home about 2 hours later.

I'll go back out tomorrow morning.

headbanger783
Black Friday Pro

Postby headbanger783 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:47 pm

I just went to target at 8am today...they had almost EVERY door buster still in stock....one guy was even still buying the 55inch element tv for $199....whe;I checked out at 9am. Don’t know if they just weren’t busy or got a lot of stock...but they had everything. The only thing cleared out was the $4 Blu-rays.

SoDangPretty
Black Friday Pro

Postby SoDangPretty » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:04 pm

So it's been a good week. Started out with the Elite Plus sale at BB and got my teenager the G502 mouse he wanted. Watched Target every night and every day for that stupid weighted blanket that I seriously think they only had one of like 3 weeks ago. Wanted the giant Blue dino but he was in store only. Really didn't have a lot of luck online this year, wore me out getting up at 230 every morning for sure.

Headed out yesterday around 430 to Walmart, made one leap around the store and picked up the Playdoh set, Sharpies that we get every year, 3 of the wireless ear buds (which are actually really decent for 10 bux!), 2 of the wireless mouse sets (I use them with my laptop at work), some of the cheap cables, the Jurassic Park slippers, and some packs of the 5.00 toddler underwear (Score!). Literally left the parking lot at 609, almost beat our record.

Stopped by Kohls and picked up the King size big one blanket, I love the designs on the 8.99 one a but this one is SO much bigger! Got a couple of the womens flannel shirts that are super comfy. Line was long but went quick.

Dropped into Target which was a mad house and there were no stupid weighted blankets or Blue dinos! I picked up a King comforter set that was super heavy and soft, it scanned for 59.99 so I put it back. Came home and regretted not getting the set so looked online and it showed 47 bux..figured I would price match on Friday.

Started this morning at Krispy Kreme and took the Baristas at SB some donuts and got my coffee. Went over to Target to get my set, they were all on an end cap for 30 bux! The manager honored the price since they were all the wrong spot..SCORE!! (Screw you stupid weighted blanket!! :lol: ) Grabbed the last 9.99 tickle me Elmo and some toddler clothes for 3 bux. Dropped into Gamestop and got the PS4 spyro sock bundle, and then headed back to Kohls. Got the 24.99 womens Peacoat, some of the Carters 3 peice outfits for my nephew and some more flannel shirts.

I think I bought more for myself this year then I ever have. Oh well, us ladies gotta spoil ourselves some times!

Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving and Happy shopping!

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:50 pm

I was apparently very unorganized this year.

Wednesday I went to Bass Pro to get a couple women's thermal shirts and a couple jeans. I found the purple thermal to run a bit smaller than the red one. Weird.

Thursday I went to JCP near opening time to get a $10 off $10 coupon. I walked around a bit but left without buying anything because it was just too much. I wasn't going to go back the same night, but decided to because it was going to rain Friday and I thought maybe I could avoid the mall area in the rain by getting done with it Thursday. So I got a $4.99 shirt for my mom and a set of $12.99 cooling racks. I liked a $12.99 shirt in the ad, but my store didn't stock any - and I prefer to try clothes on instead of ordering online. After that I walked around the mall - into target and pretty much straight out seeing how bd it still was. I was only going to look at DVDs anyway. I went to Kohls and walked around a bit but left without buying (once again because I wasn't going to wait that long - I had hoped it would be a little less crowded a couple hours after opening but I guess not. Anyway, that was Thursday.

Friday, I was going to go to Kohl's first, but I couldn't get myself motivated to leave the house until 10:30. I went to Menards to catch the end of the 6 hour sale. Amazingly, everything I wanted was still stocked. I got the base layer shirt, the large dog bed, and the stackable cooling racks. I had thought the racks were 6 hour sale and would be gone by the time I got there, but turns out they were 2 day sale and there were still some. So back to JCP for a 3rd time to return the cooling racks I got there. I was going to try to do an even exchange so as to still make use of that coupon I had gone early for, but I couldn't find anything for that amount I wanted. Thought about asking them to order that shirt, but it looked to be out of stock online. I ended up just doing a normal return. It seems like I still go a bit of value from the coupon though. Overall I was out $2.89 for a $4.99 doorbuster shirt - That's less than I would have paid if I had only bought the shirt to begin with and I wouldn't have been able to use the coupon. On the way to JCP I stopped at Best Buy and picked up a $49.99 BluRay player. My DVD player needed replaced and I thought getting a new DVD player might be like getting a new VCR in 2000. Anyway, I had a $17.47 gift card so I only paid about $36 after tax.

After JCP, I went back to Kohl's, but by this time it was 2pm so i missed doorbuster pricing. I got a shirt for my mom that wasn't a doorbuster and a shirt for myself that was, but was now $3 more. I had a $10 yes 2 you reward. With that and the 15% off, I only paid $3.67 for the 2 shirts.

Next I went to Walmart to look at the cheap DVDs, but I didn't get any of them. I did get a couple things - but neither was a sale item.

Before going home I stopped in at GameStop and Dollar Tree as they were in the same strip shopping center,but I didn't get anything. Then I went home.

I tried on the base layer shirt and it was too small, so I went back to Menards to do an even exchange for a larger size. I was bummed purple apparently only came in small. Anyway, after that I went to Bass Pro and got my sister a pair of socks (apparently lifetime socks according to the cashier).

So I went to 1 store 3 times and 3 stores 2 times.

llamagrl
Black Friday Pro

Postby llamagrl » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Did almost all my shopping Wednesday & Thursday night online. At Best Buy, got my son’s laptop and 2 dvds. Got my husband anew griddle @ Target. Got my BIL the new GoPro 7 black at aafes cheaper than the ad price for $299.99. Eddie Bauer & Gap had everything 50% off and went a little crazy at Bath & Body Works. The only thing I bought today were 5 packs of batteries @ Lowe’s & got a new iPhone @ Verizon. I’m broke!

Oh...and Amazon really sucked this year for DVDs. I got 1 (The Incredibles 2 Blu-ray for $15ish). Usually I’m buying many more. Pretty disappointed.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:11 pm

We had a great day/week and accomplished a lot I feel like.

Saturday:
I was able to use a friends account to order things from Best Buy on their Black Friday event for the Elite Members. I ordered the 10TB hard drive for $129, an Xbox One S Minecraft bundle for $199, a PS4 Spider-Man bundle for $199 and 2 Viper Remote Car Start systems for $199.99/ea for 2 of our vehicles.

I figured that Best Buy would cancel my order for the Xbox/PS4 so I went ahead and ordered them from GameStop as well. Well, Monday both placed shipped my order so I ended up with 2 Xbox One and 2 PS4s. I've sold one of the PS4s and am still trying to sell the other Xbox. If I don't sell it, I'll just return it, no big deal. I went Monday and picked up the 10TB drive since they couldn't ship it for some reason. I still need to call and schedule for my remote start installs.

Also I ordered the 2 pack of wireless charging pads from Samsung. It was 2 for $39.99, normally $99. They have shipped but not arrived yet.

Tuesday:
I ordered a few things from Shopko. I ordered the Anchor Hocking 16pc glass food storage set, 6 of the $4.99 tank tops, 4 of the B1G3 blankets for my wife to give out at work. Only 1 blanket and 1 shirt has arrived. Everything shipped separately for some reason.

Thursday:
I woke up around 8am, not by choice. I came back to the computer to do some shopping.
I ordered some earrings from Kohl's for $19.99 and a puffer jacket for $29.99 for my wife. Then I ordered the Ring floodlight with camera for $190. I also ordered the Dymo Labelwriter label printer for $79.99 from Staples. I ordered the office chair for $79.99 from Staples as well as Quicken 2019 Premier from Staples. I ordered the step stool ladder that was $12 and the Bissell portable rug cleaner that was $89 from Lowe's.

At 2pm I left and went to Sheetz to grab some food which wasn't too bad. I then went to Walmart to hang out and kill time. I walked around to see where everything was then just hung out. My mother in-law said she wanted one of those $15 Pioneer Woman Crock-Pots so I stood by those to grab one of those. Beside of those were the Pioneer Woman cookware set for $59. I grabbed a set of those, then a set of the Pyrex glass dishes (second set) for $19. I grabbed a set of $4 PJs as I walked by then up the isle to grab 6 of the $10 smart LED bulbs, 2 of the $10 wireless charging pads for the office, 1 of the $10 smart outdoor plugs, 1 of the $10 Pioneer Woman cookbooks, then I went to get in line. I was second in line at 5:40. We had to wait until 6 for the sale to begin though. EVERYONE was going after those Crock-Pots. There were a ton of people out but it wasn't too bad.... except for the Crock-Pots.

I got home and realized I left the smart plug behind. I guess I left it in my buggy, I don't know. Kinda disappointing because I was going to use it for my chicken coop and their heat lamp.

After I left Walmart, I came home and unloaded, got the wife and we drove to Roanoke. We went to Michael's and bought 2 $7 gingerbread houses and a few of the little $1 craft kits. After that, we went to Macy's where we just walked around. Then to JC Penney where we walked around as well. Didn't spend a dime. After that, we went to TGIFridays for dinner which wasn't good at all.

From there, we went to Five Below to buy some dog clothes for our dog and some candy for stocking stuffers.

After that we went to Target where we only bought a bottle of Clorox Scentiva to clean with, lol. Then we went to Walmart where we just looked at what was left which wasn't much there. We did buy a box of the $9 LED lightbulbs.

From there we stopped by Kohl's but saw how busy they were. We didn't even go in.

From there, we came home and went to bed about 1am.

Friday:

We woke up at 5:30 and went to Dollar General where we got some of the 3 for $9 Dr. Pepper 12pks and then headed to A.C. Moore where my wife bought some paint.

After that we went to Bath & Body Works where she bought that $35 tote + other things.

After that we went to PetCo where we bought some food for my sons hamster and some treats for our dog for Christmas.

From there we went to Verizon where they had the $400 off new phones sale. We ended up buying 2 new Galaxy Note 9s which is an upgrade from our old Galaxy S7 Edge phones. We were way overdue.

After that we went to CVS to get some B1G1 M&Ms. Then we went to Kohl's where my wife got some jewelry for her mother.

After Kohl's we went to Home Depot to pick up my online order. Then we went to Waffle House to grab breakfast. After Waffle House we came back to our little town. We went to Lowe's where I picked up my order there. After that we came home, unloaded then went to Ollies to look around. Didn't buy anything there, then went to Dunham's so my wife could look at buying a new Ruger 9mm. They were sold out but will have more in stock next week.

From my online shopping, everything has either shipped or arrived.

While we were out shopping the 2 days I did buy a $54.95 pair of Turtle Beach headphones on Amazon, a $12 surge protector, $118 Ring Doorbell 2, $35 WiFi range extender, some canned air and some labels for the label make. All from Amazon.

Most of the stores weren't busy at all. Surprisingly, Verizon was the busiest.

We got everything we wanted, had a good time and are sad that it's over. I guess we can start counting down until BF2019 ;)

I hope everyone had a great week and got everything you went after.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Irishmaire
Black Friday Pro

Postby Irishmaire » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:00 am

Wednesday we started our shopping at Old Navy. It was beautiful sunny weather. Then we took the rest of Wednesday and all of Thursday to focus on Thanksgiving and hosting dinner.

Today, we got up at 4:30 am, ate breakfast and then started shopping at AC Moore at 5 am. The temperature at 5 am was 15 degrees F! It was one of the colder Black Fridays that we've had. We picked up a few items for gifts at AC Moore and several games to donate to Toys for Tots. Then from there we went to Kohl's looking for clothes and jewelry. We left with a few items. We headed over to Payless Shoe Source and got some shoes. We stopped for coffee and then went to Target. Nothing caught our eye so we headed over to Bath and Body Works. We found some lotions. After that we went to the bookstore and left with a puzzle magazine. By then, it was 10 am and I was ready for lunch so we headed home. :D

After lunch, I went back out with one child to do Secret Santa shopping. Then I went out later with my other child to do Secret Santa shopping. I then made a list of the gifts that I wanted to buy but wasn’t able to find in the stores. I ordered items from Mindware, Payless Shoe Source, Gamestop, Nordstrom, Scholastic, Amazon, Kohls, Old Navy and QVC. Short of a few smaller items, I am done my family’s Christmas shopping.

There were a number of stores that I wanted to get to but I had my daughter join me on the excursion. I am typically an woman on a mission when I’m by myself. However, I did the shopping at my dd’s pace. It was harder on me to miss those stores than I realized. However, I kept reminding myself that this day was going to be a memorable day for my dd just like it was for me when I was her age. So I slowed the pace down and thought only about the bargains that would benefit my children more than me. It didn’t seem so bad then. I am very thankful for online shopping now. It really has revolutionized the shopping experience for me. I get the best of both worlds on Black Friday - the one on one conversations with fellow shoppers and then later the comfort of shopping at home for that elusive gift.

KMAKKSMOM
Black Friday Pro

Postby KMAKKSMOM » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:18 am

I worked from 4pm Thursday til 6:30am Friday, then back again from 12:30pm til 10pm. I'm just now getting some rest. I was able to do a bit of shopping at work (I work at Kohl's as OMNI & FULFILLMENT). I pick online orders from the floor and stockroom and package them to go out via UPS and I pick items from the back to put on the floor to replenish the stock. I thought it would be busier than it was, but nope. It was basically a dead zone. Kohl's corporate was supposed to disable the BOPUS (Buy Online Pick Up in Store) feature for Thursday and Friday, but they did not so we had that to deal with this year unlike other years when we didn't need to worry about that type of order.

Anyway...

I was able to get a Nike sweatshirt that was 50% off, a few of the $8.99 Big One throws, a Kohl's Cares Minnie Mouse because I needed $4.73 to make it to $15 in Kohl's Cash, so I'll give cute Minnie to my 3 year old daughter.

I also got on WWEShop to get something for my youngest teenage daughter that she wanted from one of her favorite wrestlers...it's a hoodie that was originally $54.99 plus tax. I got it for $28 even with tax. She will never know that I only paid $28 for her $55 hoodie, haha.

Later today we are going to Wal-Mart to get our prescriptions, so we will see if any DVDs and/or kid pajamas are left. They always honor the Black Friday pricing until everything that was in the black Friday ad is gone.

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:13 am

Couldn't find anything of interest in the ads this year so I voluntarily worked a full day shift Thursday and a half day Friday. Stopped by Walmart after work to pick up a few movies. For the second year in a row I spent less than $50 on BF sales. I don't care what the overall numbers show, BF will never be the same as it was ~5 years ago.

SantaShopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby SantaShopper » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:06 am

I feel pretty good about my BF. I shopped exclusively on Friday. We went out around 6am, when our mall opened to grab a couple stocking stuffers at Ulta. GameStop was also in the mall, so I grabbed a game. Then we headed to PetSmart where the line was JUST heading in as we pulled into the parking spot. Unfortunately we didn't get a handout :( . I grabbed the BOGO cat treats, but not the fresh step litter this time. Also some cat scratchers. Then we tried Target which was mostly a bust. At Kohls I asked an associate where the CuddlDud sleep wrap from the ad was, and she walked me to an As seen on tv Snuggie... So that became difficult to find. By the time I got to Wal-Mart a lot of the little gadgets were gone. I wanted the $5 wireless charger, but it had been ravaged! But I grabbed some socks, long johns, a bath mat, and shoe inserts. On the way home I stopped at Rite aid for the 2 for $1 socks, and I'm pretty impressed. Nice socks! Also we ate at Buca Do Beppo for lunch. :D

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:12 am

cinemike16 wrote:Couldn't find anything of interest in the ads this year so I voluntarily worked a full day shift Thursday and a half day Friday. Stopped by Walmart after work to pick up a few movies. For the second year in a row I spent less than $50 on BF sales. I don't care what the overall numbers show, BF will never be the same as it was ~5 years ago.

Yeah, I felt extra "meh" about it this year. In a year or 2 I might just stop doing the Black Friday thing altogether. Maybe that's the goal - Retailers want to normalize so-so deals in hopes of getting high turnout to sales throughout the year so they can phase out the big shopping event. Or maybe I'm just cheap.

inthedark
Black Friday Pro

Postby inthedark » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:38 am

cinemike16 wrote:Couldn't find anything of interest in the ads this year so I voluntarily worked a full day shift Thursday and a half day Friday. Stopped by Walmart after work to pick up a few movies. For the second year in a row I spent less than $50 on BF sales. I don't care what the overall numbers show, BF will never be the same as it was ~5 years ago.

I miss the old days :(

midmofan
Black Friday Pro

Postby midmofan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:15 pm

Did not participate much in actual early BF shopping this year for a couple of family-related reasons but it looked like it was pretty successful for the retailers in central Missouri.

Was not out and about until mid-afternoon. Stopped by Bass Pro to check out the cheap blue jeans but they were sold out of men's jeans and almost out out of women's. Last year, they had plenty. One of the salespersons said it was very crowded with the big items being the jeans and a couple of the guns which sold out in 20 min. Did pick up a nice $10 flannel shirt. They were expecting a big crowd Saturday morning for the "first 300" giveaway promotion.

At Menards, I picked up a couple of items that were on the 2-day part of the sale, but it did look like they had not sold out of several of the 6-hour only items.

Where the money went this year was Best Buy but got everything I wanted on the Elite Rewards early access sale. I did pop in to pick up one of my ordered items and to survey the carnage.One guy said the super cheap Toshiba TV was gone in about 15 min. Also out of Apple watches which were a big seller. They still had a couple of cheap chromebooks left. Per email, it looks like they added some new doorbusters for Saturday. Best part of the BB trip was the food truck that was outside that sold nothing but grilled cheese sandwiches of all kinds and types. I got one with bacon and tomatoes!

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:21 pm

midmofan wrote:Did not participate much in actual early BF shopping this year for a couple of family-related reasons but it looked like it was pretty successful for the retailers in central Missouri.

Was not out and about until mid-afternoon. Stopped by Bass Pro to check out the cheap blue jeans but they were sold out of men's jeans and almost out out of women's. Last year, they had plenty. One of the salespersons said it was very crowded with the big items being the jeans and a couple of the guns which sold out in 20 min. Did pick up a nice $10 flannel shirt. They were expecting a big crowd Saturday morning for the "first 300" giveaway promotion.

At Menards, I picked up a couple of items that were on the 2-day part of the sale, but it did look like they had not sold out of several of the 6-hour only items.

Where the money went this year was Best Buy but got everything I wanted on the Elite Rewards early access sale. I did pop in to pick up one of my ordered items and to survey the carnage.One guy said the super cheap Toshiba TV was gone in about 15 min. Also out of Apple watches which were a big seller. They still had a couple of cheap chromebooks left. Per email, it looks like they added some new doorbusters for Saturday. Best part of the BB trip was the food truck that was outside that sold nothing but grilled cheese sandwiches of all kinds and types. I got one with bacon and tomatoes!

What town did you go to? You're in the lake area, right? (I'm in Columbia and the food truck sounded like Grilla Brothers)

Edit: it was the Big Cheese I was thinking of, not Grilla Brothers.
Last edited by jeanerz13 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rants and Raves”