smart home

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

ncbn0902
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:56 pm

smart home

Postby ncbn0902 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:02 am

Good Morning,
I was wondering what I need to start turning my home into a smart house.
Can I start with a google mini or do I need to start with the google hub? Also our cell phones are both apple base, will google work with them and will it work with Itunes?
Thanks for any help

User avatar
teknoge3k
Forum geek
Posts: 10696
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: smart home

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:00 pm

This isn't going to help your cause because I have neither any Apple devices nor Google Home but figured I would respond for anyone else looking to setup their smart home this holiday season.

We have Amazon Echo. We have an Echo Show in the kitchen, an Echo Spot in the bedroom, then 6 Echo Dots throughout the house. I love it because of the intercom feature plus the calling ability to my in-laws where we can video chat with them. Plus it handles everything else we need. It operates my Roomba, HVAC system (Nest Thermostat), all of the lights in my house (Philips Hue system) and most of the plugs (TP-Link plugs) in my house. It also shows my security cameras (Arlo) when I need them. With all of my smart devices in conjunction with IFTTT my house is setup pretty solid. As soon as I turn on my street if it's dark, the lights in my house turn on and my security cameras turn off. If we're home, as soon as it gets dark the lights come on, then turn off automatically when we go to bed. The Roomba starts every morning at 10am. If we're gone and something triggers the cameras, then the lights turn on as well as music. I love the smart home. We all use Samsung Galaxy phones in the house as well.

Now I am sure you can do all of this with the Google/Apple setup but I am just not familiar with those 2 devices. Good luck with it all though. I love having a smart house!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

ncbn0902
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:56 pm

Re: smart home

Postby ncbn0902 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:27 pm

teknoge3k wrote:This isn't going to help your cause because I have neither any Apple devices nor Google Home but figured I would respond for anyone else looking to setup their smart home this holiday season.

We have Amazon Echo. We have an Echo Show in the kitchen, an Echo Spot in the bedroom, then 6 Echo Dots throughout the house. I love it because of the intercom feature plus the calling ability to my in-laws where we can video chat with them. Plus it handles everything else we need. It operates my Roomba, HVAC system (Nest Thermostat), all of the lights in my house (Philips Hue system) and most of the plugs (TP-Link plugs) in my house. It also shows my security cameras (Arlo) when I need them. With all of my smart devices in conjunction with IFTTT my house is setup pretty solid. As soon as I turn on my street if it's dark, the lights in my house turn on and my security cameras turn off. If we're home, as soon as it gets dark the lights come on, then turn off automatically when we go to bed. The Roomba starts every morning at 10am. If we're gone and something triggers the cameras, then the lights turn on as well as music. I love the smart home. We all use Samsung Galaxy phones in the house as well.

Now I am sure you can do all of this with the Google/Apple setup but I am just not familiar with those 2 devices. Good luck with it all though. I love having a smart house!


Thanks, this might be the way that I might go.

User avatar
teknoge3k
Forum geek
Posts: 10696
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: smart home

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:45 pm

ncbn0902 wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:This isn't going to help your cause because I have neither any Apple devices nor Google Home but figured I would respond for anyone else looking to setup their smart home this holiday season.

We have Amazon Echo. We have an Echo Show in the kitchen, an Echo Spot in the bedroom, then 6 Echo Dots throughout the house. I love it because of the intercom feature plus the calling ability to my in-laws where we can video chat with them. Plus it handles everything else we need. It operates my Roomba, HVAC system (Nest Thermostat), all of the lights in my house (Philips Hue system) and most of the plugs (TP-Link plugs) in my house. It also shows my security cameras (Arlo) when I need them. With all of my smart devices in conjunction with IFTTT my house is setup pretty solid. As soon as I turn on my street if it's dark, the lights in my house turn on and my security cameras turn off. If we're home, as soon as it gets dark the lights come on, then turn off automatically when we go to bed. The Roomba starts every morning at 10am. If we're gone and something triggers the cameras, then the lights turn on as well as music. I love the smart home. We all use Samsung Galaxy phones in the house as well.

Now I am sure you can do all of this with the Google/Apple setup but I am just not familiar with those 2 devices. Good luck with it all though. I love having a smart house!


Thanks, this might be the way that I might go.


We have the Echo primarily because they existed long before the Google system did. We've had this for a while. It helps that literally everything in life comes from Amazon for us so it makes it easier. Not knocking Google at all though so don't take that the wrong way.

BTW in the future no need to click the 'report' icon when responding. That's to report spammers/abuse. ;)
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

ncbn0902
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:56 pm

Re: smart home

Postby ncbn0902 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:56 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
ncbn0902 wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:This isn't going to help your cause because I have neither any Apple devices nor Google Home but figured I would respond for anyone else looking to setup their smart home this holiday season.

We have Amazon Echo. We have an Echo Show in the kitchen, an Echo Spot in the bedroom, then 6 Echo Dots throughout the house. I love it because of the intercom feature plus the calling ability to my in-laws where we can video chat with them. Plus it handles everything else we need. It operates my Roomba, HVAC system (Nest Thermostat), all of the lights in my house (Philips Hue system) and most of the plugs (TP-Link plugs) in my house. It also shows my security cameras (Arlo) when I need them. With all of my smart devices in conjunction with IFTTT my house is setup pretty solid. As soon as I turn on my street if it's dark, the lights in my house turn on and my security cameras turn off. If we're home, as soon as it gets dark the lights come on, then turn off automatically when we go to bed. The Roomba starts every morning at 10am. If we're gone and something triggers the cameras, then the lights turn on as well as music. I love the smart home. We all use Samsung Galaxy phones in the house as well.

Now I am sure you can do all of this with the Google/Apple setup but I am just not familiar with those 2 devices. Good luck with it all though. I love having a smart house!


Thanks, this might be the way that I might go.


We have the Echo primarily because they existed long before the Google system did. We've had this for a while. It helps that literally everything in life comes from Amazon for us so it makes it easier. Not knocking Google at all though so don't take that the wrong way.

BTW in the future no need to click the 'report' icon when responding. That's to report spammers/abuse. ;)


That was an accident and I didn't know how to stop it, sorry, I clicked the wrong button on accident

User avatar
teknoge3k
Forum geek
Posts: 10696
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: smart home

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:59 pm

ncbn0902 wrote:
That was an accident and I didn't know how to stop it, sorry, I clicked the wrong button on accident


:lol:

No worries at all my friend. 8)
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

User avatar
mabrey
Black Friday Pro
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:48 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: smart home

Postby mabrey » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:28 pm

We started to turn our house into a smart home and started with the Google mini. It is great and just ordered some more for other rooms. There also is google assistant that you can set up on your phone to also turn your devices on & off.


Return to “Off Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest