Amazon

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Amazon

Postby blue3715 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:13 am

Looks like they are once again pulling the trigger on 2 weeks of sales, starting tomorrow.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/16/news/co ... -stack-dom

notably:

32" 720p LED TV for $69.99
55" LG 4K Smart TV for $398
$150 off a Delonghi Super Automatic Coffee Machine
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Closed Back Headphone for $99.95
Sphero Star Wars BB-8 Droid for $99.99
Amazon Fire HD 8 for $59.99
Amazon Kindle for Kids Bundle for $69.99
Up to 60% off select Disney toys and apparel
Intex Explorer K2 Kayak for $70.99
Nest Thermostat (3rd Generation) for $199

As for the last item, this is so over hyped. I have a simple "smart" thermostat (Example of one).

You just put in the cooling and heating range and it swaps from heat to cool on its own. I mean how smart do I need a thermostat to be,

in the winter keep my house between 72-74 depending on time of day, and in the summer between 70-72, etc.

I programmed it 2 years ago and never had to touch it since.

SantaShopper
Black Friday Pro

Re: Amazon

Postby SantaShopper » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:07 pm

I see that they have the Echo marked down, yet are still holding out on the dot price reduction.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:19 pm

SantaShopper wrote:I see that they have the Echo marked down, yet are still holding out on the dot price reduction.

I honestly don't see the Dot coming below $40 anytime soon.

As far as the thermostat, if you have Echo/Dot, then a smart thermostat is nice because you can be sitting in the kitchen and simply say "turn up my thermostat" and it will do the rest.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

SantaShopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby SantaShopper » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:22 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
SantaShopper wrote:I see that they have the Echo marked down, yet are still holding out on the dot price reduction.

As far as the thermostat, if you have Echo/Dot, then a smart thermostat is nice because you can be sitting in the kitchen and simply say "turn up my thermostat" and it will do the rest.

I just have to say, I'm so excited to get my Dot! I have been researching it for weeks now and I'm very excited to have it in my house. Thanks for all the info you've given Tek! Very helpful!

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:27 pm

SantaShopper wrote:I just have to say, I'm so excited to get my Dot! I have been researching it for weeks now and I'm very excited to have it in my house. Thanks for all the info you've given Tek! Very helpful!

You're welcome! You will love it. Out of the box it's pretty fun but once you start customizing it, it REALLY gets fun and you have your whole home controlled by it.

Some tips

- Invest in the Philips Hue system. The starter pack comes with the hub and 2 white bulbs. This will control your lighting. Just add however many bulbs you want to control.

- Invest in some sort of outlets. I have the TP-Link outlets. I think they were $30/ea. That way you can control the outlets as well. It's nice to have your Christmas tree plugged into this so you don't have to worry about turning it on/off.

- Once you get the thing setup, you can add features to it via your Echo app.

- Go ahead and start learning IFTTT . You will create recipes to link to your Echo to control everything automatically. i.e. Every evening at 4:45, all of my Christmas lights, Christmas tree, lamps and candles turn on automatically. At 10:30, they turn off automatically.

- You may invest in a Fire stick with the voice remote. This can also help control Echo from other rooms.

Hope this helps!

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

SantaShopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby SantaShopper » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:35 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
You're welcome! You will love it. Out of the box it's pretty fun but once you start customizing it, it REALLY gets fun and you have your whole home controlled by it.

Some tips

- Invest in the Philips Hue system. The starter pack comes with the hub and 2 white bulbs. This will control your lighting. Just add however many bulbs you want to control.

- Invest in some sort of outlets. I have the TP-Link outlets. I think they were $30/ea. That way you can control the outlets as well. It's nice to have your Christmas tree plugged into this so you don't have to worry about turning it on/off.

- Go ahead and start learning IFTTT . You will create recipes to link to your Echo to control everything automatically. i.e. Every evening at 4:45, all of my Christmas lights, Christmas tree, lamps and candles turn on automatically. At 10:30, they turn off automatically.

- You may invest in a Fire stick with the voice remote. This can also help control Echo from other rooms.

Hope this helps!

Great tips, thanks! I'll post about it after the holidays too, once I get it, and let you know what I think!

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:41 pm

teknoge3k wrote:

Yeah, but what someone tells you to "go yourself"... will spot start to slide over....

bls
Black Friday Pro

Postby bls » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:32 pm

Does anyone know if the Black Friday sales themselves are searchable? It seems Amazon wants you to scroll through tons of side deals instead of pinpointing what I'm interested in.

I liked it in past years when they told you the whole lightning deal calendar in advance so you could actually plan ahead!

SantaShopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby SantaShopper » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:20 pm

Kindle fire users, Did you see that this morning our device got the Alexa update? Kindles can now use Alexa, which is pretty neat for me until I get an Echo Dot. Only downside being that you have to hold the home button down to speak. Its been fun to play around with today, but It seems to be more functional on the Echo devices.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:55 am

so do we think amazon will match the 39.99 price on the echo dot like the other stores?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:38 pm

bfaddict wrote:so do we think amazon will match the 39.99 price on the echo dot like the other stores?

I expect they'll be lower than that on their flash sales.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:14 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
bfaddict wrote:so do we think amazon will match the 39.99 price on the echo dot like the other stores?

i need you to send me some sort of batman beacon if you see it less lol
i think home depot has it for $40 all weekend so that should give me ample time to get it from somewhere for that price.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:23 pm

bfaddict wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:

i need you to send me some sort of batman beacon if you see it less lol
i think home depot has it for $40 all weekend so that should give me ample time to get it from somewhere for that price.

Were you the one looking for 3 of them? Seems like I saw a special offer for buying 3....like save X dollars when you buy 3 or something.

Update: it was Amazon - promotion details

hiker
Official Zipper

Postby hiker » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:28 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
SantaShopper wrote:I just have to say, I'm so excited to get my Dot! I have been researching it for weeks now and I'm very excited to have it in my house. Thanks for all the info you've given Tek! Very helpful!

Some tips

Hope this helps!

So looking at the Hue starter kit by Philips, and came across a bundle on Best Buy. Amazon Dot + Starter Kit (2 Bulbs and hub) for $100.00. Does that seem like a good price? Looking at the starter kit is $70.00, but not sure if I'm looking at the wrong one.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:42 pm

hiker wrote:
So looking at the Hue starter kit by Philips, and came across a bundle on Best Buy. Amazon Dot + Starter Kit (2 Bulbs and hub) for $100.00. Does that seem like a good price? Looking at the starter kit is $70.00, but not sure if I'm looking at the wrong one.

I paid $80 for the Hue kit last December so it's definitely a good deal.

Keep in mind, that's 2 WHITE bulbs. They won't change colors like the other bulbs but you can always add the color changing bulbs on.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Return to “Online Stores”