What's the craziest thing

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

What's the craziest thing

Postby justhangingout528 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 pm

(hope this is in the right place)

you've ever seen happen in person on Black Friday?

I know there are tons of olds posts that look like it might be similar, but would love to read the stories all in one place.

Me? Well, no grabbing or fighting or anything like that, but the very first Black Friday I went out shopping I had no clue what I was in for. I went into Best Buy and there were people EVERYWHERE. And they were just standing. I went in looking for one DVD (stupid me, and never found it) and people were just in EVERY single part of every aisle....just standing there. I remember one guy hugging his item to him. Hahaha!

I didn't realize till a year or two later when I learned more about Black Friday that.... ALL THOSE PEOPLE WERE IN LINE. Every single person just standing there was in line waiting to checkout. That's why they weren't going anywhere.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: What's the craziest thing

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:15 pm

justhangingout528 wrote:(hope this is in the right place)

I know there are tons of olds posts that look like it might be similar, but would love to read the stories all in one place.

Me? Well, no grabbing or fighting or anything like that, but the very first Black Friday I went out shopping I had no clue what I was in for. I went into Best Buy and there were people EVERYWHERE. And they were just standing. I went in looking for one DVD (stupid me, and never found it) and people were just in EVERY single part of every aisle....just standing there. I remember one guy hugging his item to him. Hahaha!

I didn't realize till a year or two later when I learned more about Black Friday that.... ALL THOSE PEOPLE WERE IN LINE. Every single person just standing there was in line waiting to checkout. That's why they weren't going anywhere.

First of all, let me say welcome to the forums! Glad you can join us. We're here year-round so make this your Internet home. We have cookies!

Now onto the topic...

About 7 years ago (Vets of this board remember this) I had brain surgery the Friday before BF (back when it was actually ON Friday). I told my neurosurgeon I HAD to be out to shop. He thought I was crazy. I was discharged from the hospital on Tuesday. I went BF shopping. I looked like Frankenstein. I had gauze and Ace bandages wrapped around my head. lol
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Leojr
Black Friday Pro

Postby Leojr » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:38 pm

teknoge3k wrote:

First of all, let me say welcome to the forums! Glad you can join us. We're here year-round so make this your Internet home. We have cookies!

Now onto the topic...

About 7 years ago (Vets of this board remember this) I had brain surgery the Friday before BF (back when it was actually ON Friday). I told my neurosurgeon I HAD to be out to shop. He thought I was crazy. I was discharged from the hospital on Tuesday. I went BF shopping. I looked like Frankenstein. I had gauze and Ace bandages wrapped around my head. lol

I remember that, I wasn't sure if the brain transplant would take, but you insisted on leaving anyways
I am adorable and cute

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

Postby justhangingout528 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:56 pm

teknoge3k wrote:

Now onto the topic...

Haha! That's great.

stacykay4
Black Friday Pro

Postby stacykay4 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:17 pm

I haven't seen anything crazy. Couple years back, I heard a commotion at Walmart while I was standing in line for something, but I don't think it was at that level of craziness you can see on YouTube. I elbowed someone a few years back too because she came flying into me trying to push me out of the way for some DVDs when I had been waiting patiently for a few hours.

Then again, my usual BF experiences is: Walmart & Menards. And online. If I get to anywhere else, it is always way after the rush.

clubing25
Black Friday Pro

Postby clubing25 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:04 am

A couple years back Walmart had the 3 crockpots thing for like $18. There was about 30 on the skid. Everyone is crowded around waiting for time to happen. Right at time people started jumping from behind trying to get these things. I was standing in front next to this lady probably in her 60s at that point. Someone jumped from behind knocked in her on top of the skid. People just kept pulling them from under her while her husband is on the otherside trying to get to her. I was so shocked. I forgot all about the crackpots and attempted to help her off the skid. Theyou had pulled them all so she was literally left on the empty skid. I was so disappointed I didn't get one but this lady wasn't harmed so I was ok with it. About 10 mins later a lady walked up to me and said I seen you try to help that lady so I got one of these for you and she hands me a 3 crockpot thing. It was awesome!

stacykay4
Black Friday Pro

Postby stacykay4 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:29 am

That is crazy. People are just insane. I don't understand why people act like that, or when they trample over people. There is no deal that good enough to treat another like that.

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:31 pm

Every Best Buy store I've been to on BF has been like that. And sadly they always have EXTREMELY LIMITED stock; like only 2 of each of the big doorbusters, maybe 3 copies of each DVD/BD title... I remember one year(I think it was the first year I joined BFADs) I was going to hit up BBY for something(not a big doorbuster), even stood outside in line (place #30 of 600+) for about 30 min before deciding that the item I wanted wasn't worth being there - When I got back to my truck, I looked back at the line and about 200 people from the back of the line just DARTED for the doors. Trampled over those who have been, literally camping, there for days. I hung around to see if the store security team would do anything but they just yelled at the crowd to form a single file line otherwise they wouldn't open the doors. At that point the campers were packing up their stuff and leaving...To me, THAT was crazy - camp outside a store for days prior to a sale only to leave within minutes of opening? LOL!!

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

Postby justhangingout528 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:05 pm

cinemike16 wrote:

Every Best Buy store I've been to on BF has been like that. And sadly they always have EXTREMELY LIMITED stock; like only 2 of each of the big doorbusters, maybe 3 copies of each DVD/BD title... I remember one year(I think it was the first year I joined BFADs) I was going to hit up BBY for something(not a big doorbuster), even stood outside in line (place #30 of 600+) for about 30 min before deciding that the item I wanted wasn't worth being there - When I got back to my truck, I looked back at the line and about 200 people from the back of the line just DARTED for the doors. Trampled over those who have been, literally camping, there for days. I hung around to see if the store security team would do anything but they just yelled at the crowd to form a single file line otherwise they wouldn't open the doors. At that point the campers were packing up their stuff and leaving...To me, THAT was crazy - camp outside a store for days prior to a sale only to leave within minutes of opening? LOL!!

Yeah, that's nuts. Wait all that time and then ditch it? Heck no.

My son and I like to drive by the Best Buys and see how early people are out there waiting. I think Monday was the earliest, but then, we never thought to even check before then. It's all extreme.

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

Postby justhangingout528 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:07 pm

clubing25 wrote:A couple years back Walmart had the 3 crockpots thing for like $18. There was about 30 on the skid. Everyone is crowded around waiting for time to happen. Right at time people started jumping from behind trying to get these things. I was standing in front next to this lady probably in her 60s at that point. Someone jumped from behind knocked in her on top of the skid. People just kept pulling them from under her while her husband is on the otherside trying to get to her. I was so shocked. I forgot all about the crackpots and attempted to help her off the skid. Theyou had pulled them all so she was literally left on the empty skid. I was so disappointed I didn't get one but this lady wasn't harmed so I was ok with it. About 10 mins later a lady walked up to me and said I seen you try to help that lady so I got one of these for you and she hands me a 3 crockpot thing. It was awesome!

Wow! That's just sad.

angelmse
Black Friday Pro

Postby angelmse » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:17 pm

justhangingout528 wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:

Now onto the topic...

Haha! That's great.

angelmse
Black Friday Pro

Postby angelmse » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:24 pm

angelmse wrote:
justhangingout528 wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:

Now onto the topic...

Haha! That's great.

OMG Tek I do remem that. Your all good now?

The crazy things for me, happen over housewares. No matter what store I have been to, there is ALWAYS a fight over crock pots, or the big boxes of storage containers. It blows my mind that peeps actually go to blows over that stuff.

The most annoying , tho most stores don't allow it anymore, is when you show up hours early: about 10th in line, and just before store opens, a bunch of peeps show up and flood the front of the line, so now I am 60th in line. Well they had family members hold their place at the front and 15 of them show up. That really pisses me off. First BF I got screwed. Now I make a big fuss with the store manager if that happens to me. Now I know better.

wwefk
Black Friday Pro

Postby wwefk » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:22 pm

YOU ASK FOR IT.

one bf at kohls we had

a kid try to jump over a bush in the parking lot and break his arm

A woman berating other customers in junior because "I can say whatever the f#(« I want"

And a woman who didn't want to wait in line for the bathroom so she changed her tampon in the fitting room

ALL IN THE FIRST HOUR!!!!
Decorating the tree
(Gardening)
Wiring all of the lights
(Electrical contracting)
Wrapping up packages and writing out cards
(Office work, out of sight!)

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfshoppermom » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:17 pm

I really can't think of anything too crazy I have seen in person. The typical grab and shove of a few years ago at Walmart most of us have seen. And the families that bring all the kids out in their pajamas used to drive me nuts. The kids would be crying/cranky/trying to sit down in the aisles while parents are piling toys around them.

clubing25
Black Friday Pro

Postby clubing25 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:53 pm

Yep I could even imagine bringing ny kids when they were younger. Of course now my 15 yrs old isn't let me leave without her.

Return to “Rants and Raves”