Why it be so DEE-EEE-DEE Dead here?

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Why it be so DEE-EEE-DEE Dead here?

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:24 pm

Where have all the posters gone? Does no one but the long-timers know these forums exist? Has Black Friday finally died and no one cares about it anymore because the deals ain't like they used to be?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: Why it be so DEE-EEE-DEE Dead here?

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:37 pm

I think a little bit of both.

BFAds is social media driven now, so everything takes place on social media, and they now have Disqus integrated with the actual ad postings, so people post there. Between those 2 outlets, it takes people away from the forums unfortunately.

Also the ads just aren't what they use to be. The deals aren't as good and with online shopping making things easier & cheaper, why wait for BF to get them. It's us old school shoppers who stay with it no matter what.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

angelmse
Black Friday Pro

Postby angelmse » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:30 pm

I;m with you Tek, I am not a big social media person, and like to go out shopping. It's my 1 night out each year, LOL.

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfshoppermom » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:19 pm

Black Friday, when done in the wee hours, was so different. Now more people are out for evening hours and deals aren't so "hot" either.

bogart
Black Friday Pro

Postby bogart » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:18 am

I've been hanging around these forums for 9 years.... wow, 9!

For me, the excitement just isn't there anymore, as even our secret club of "leakers" has become part of the commercialized process. I mean, look at the scans we have now-- they're not leaks. Remember the good ol' days of crappy scans from some hero of an employee that snuck an ad out? I miss those days.

And, I'm also not a fan of this "Black Thursday" crap at all. There is no challenge anymore. Anyone can brave the afternoon to wait in line. But, getting some hard-core people to freeze their butts off for a 5am opening takes some effort.

I also miss the days of fewer children/teens and 2:00am wake-up calls.

I don't care if stores are open on Thanksgiving (we've been a 24/7/365 society for awhile now), but I really want Black Friday to be on Friday!

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:09 am

I think too that the ads aren't too secretive anymore. I noticed that 1 day after the kohls ad was released here; I got an email with the ad. UGH!! So I would guess that more people don't want to sit around here and wait anymore :(

Maybe to help solve atleast the deadness in here that this site promote the forums a little bit. I have a friend that has never been in the forums but has went to the site every year for as long as I can remember. Most probably don't know this exists. Like the island of misfit toys we are.

ethelbert
Black Friday Newbie

Postby ethelbert » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:43 pm

I miss the old BF days. I don't care much for how it is now.

angelmse
Black Friday Pro

Postby angelmse » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:34 am

bogart wrote:I've been hanging around these forums for 9 years.... wow, 9!

For me, the excitement just isn't there anymore, as even our secret club of "leakers" has become part of the commercialized process. I mean, look at the scans we have now-- they're not leaks. Remember the good ol' days of crappy scans from some hero of an employee that snuck an ad out? I miss those days.

And, I'm also not a fan of this "Black Thursday" crap at all. There is no challenge anymore. Anyone can brave the afternoon to wait in line. But, getting some hard-core people to freeze their butts off for a 5am opening takes some effort.

I also miss the days of fewer children/teens and 2:00am wake-up calls.

I don't care if stores are open on Thanksgiving (we've been a 24/7/365 society for awhile now), but I really want Black Friday to be on Friday!

I'm with you, I can't believe people shop with their kids, lil kids and stollers now. NO NO NO it's Santa's night to shop. I do miss freezing my ass of at 2am to wait for 5/6am store openings on Friday. I have not had Thanksgiving with my family in the past 3 years. It sucks. My son knows that this is "his" Christmas and understands that Mom goes shopping to get the deals for him. I feel bad, but that's the only way he gets most of what he wants. UGH...

DiBaskin
Black Friday Newbie

Postby DiBaskin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:57 am

I rarely come to the forum and rarely post when I do come. I enjoy reading the stories. I have been doing BF for about 15 years. I am thinking of skipping it this year. My daughter and grandson normally go with me and that makes it more fun. They won't be coming this year so I would have to go alone. I agree it isn't what it used to be. The deals aren't the same and the crowds are out of control now that they do it on Thanksgiving. I live about four blocks from Target and and about 10 blocks from Walmart. I normally go to Walmart first then Target. I was thinking if I do go out I would hit target and go home. The only thing I really want is a DVD player. Walmart has one for $45 and Target has one for $52. Not enough of a difference to fight the crowds at Walmart. I am getting older and it is harder for me to stand for hours and I really don't need a lot of things. I will tae another look at the ads and see how I feel. Also I am not happy about it being on Thanksgiving day. They are talking the workers away from their families every year and I know a lot of them aren't happy about having to work. Also a lot are doing Cyber Monday.

nfalks
Black Friday Pro

Postby nfalks » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:54 am

I've been around here for a few years. I don't post much, but I enjoy reading the posts. I started BF shopping about 10 years ago. (I had never heard of it before then.) I always thought that I couldn't wait until I had kids to shop for. Now that I do, the deals are not that good. I'll still go out this year, but I only have a couple of stores to hit, and then I'm heading home. I wish it would go back to the way it was. My husband and I have an agreement...It is the one day a year that is just for me and he doesn't call me asking when I'll be home. Now, I only get a few hours. :cry: I miss my me time and buying fun stuff for my kids at great prices.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:23 am

You know I have come to realize something. Forums in general have become dead. We are so used to just commenting and leaving that there aren't any true conversations anymore. And that is the way it is in real life also. I love to gab; just who I am. I get so many weird looks from people when I try to strike up a conversation. We are so plugged into technology that we have checked out of reality.

Also, everything is about instant gratification. Why come and chit chat on the forums or anywhere for that matter waiting on an ad when it will be posted and reposted on social media, emails, etc. There is nothing secret about the bf ads anymore. Within hours to a day the ad that we see is then emailed to subscribers.

I miss those days when it was all hush hush. You felt like you got a jump start on the rest of the population that had to quickly make their list from the newspaper ads that morning. Now it's the survival of the fittest. And even the deals are not that great to play a twisted version of hunger games.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:33 am

sportymonkey wrote:You know I have come to realize something. Forums in general have become dead. We are so used to just commenting and leaving that there aren't any true conversations anymore. And that is the way it is in real life also. I love to gab; just who I am. I get so many weird looks from people when I try to strike up a conversation. We are so plugged into technology that we have checked out of reality.

Also, everything is about instant gratification. Why come and chit chat on the forums or anywhere for that matter waiting on an ad when it will be posted and reposted on social media, emails, etc. There is nothing secret about the bf ads anymore. Within hours to a day the ad that we see is then emailed to subscribers.

I miss those days when it was all hush hush. You felt like you got a jump start on the rest of the population that had to quickly make their list from the newspaper ads that morning. Now it's the survival of the fittest. And even the deals are not that great to play a twisted version of hunger games.

I am huge into collegiate athletics, and I am on sports forums all of the time. You're right, they're dead. Everything has moved to social media. It's easier to pull up the Facebook app on your phone than it is to come to a forum, login, find a thread, and post.

As far as taking kids shopping. I don't mind parents taking their kids BF shopping. What I mind is the teenagers who aren't out shopping, just out trying to look cool. They get in the way!!! I do mind the parents who take kids out in strollers late at night in the cold. They should be at home in bed. But for a normal 6pm Thanksgiving sale, by all means bring them out. I am sure it's easier for parents who don't have babysitters to bring their kids to the 6pm sales than it is the 2am/5am sales.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

midmofan
Black Friday Pro

Postby midmofan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:45 am

Part of the problem with the forums is when, last year, BFAds took the "Forum" link/button off of the top bar on the web page. It used to be right there for people to check out. Now you have to go to "features" to get to "forums." Not a big issue for those that have been here for years and want to find it, but it kills attracting any new folks.

rcav8r
Black Friday Pro

Postby rcav8r » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:28 pm

Problem with the discus software, is that it keeps the old discussions under the newest ad scans and listings. I found myself replying to comments that were "2 years ago" and "4 years ago".

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:22 pm

Kids looking cool.... ding ding ding!! All the teens with their selfie sticks with dozens of instragram/facebook pics.

Some on the other hand go out looking to make or start chaos. I remember one 12am opening of Old Navy we had to stand outside of the mall. As soon as the guards opened the door; teens behind started yelling Push and almost pushed us in the front down. It was scary.

Return to “Rants and Raves”