Face it, Black Friday is Dead!

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

daybreaker01
Black Friday Newbie

Face it, Black Friday is Dead!

Postby daybreaker01 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:47 am

Let's face it, for all intents and purposes, Black Friday is dead! The term as it relates to shopping holds absolutely no relevant meaning anymore. Stores now open at 6AM Thanksgiving day with their "Black Friday" deals. Funny, last I checked, Thanksgiving is still on Thursday. I guess the advertising geniuses seem to have forgotten that little detail. Nonetheless, it is just the Thanksgiving day / weekend sale now.

So much is said about the changes to what used to be a great day to shop. People angry and happy about stores opening on Thanksgiving day. People mad and ok about having to work on Thanksgiving. Those who insist Thanksgiving should only be about spending time with family. Many saying that the holiday tradition is going out the window... yada yada yada. They are all valid points. But not everyone has the same lifestyle or priorities. Many don't have family. Many choose not to celebrate. And that is fine. For those who want to shop, go! If you want to be with family and enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner AT DINNERTIME, then stay home and eat! Any way you do it, there is no way you will get a fraction of the deals out there anyway, so pick your battles.

I personally think this whole Black Friday gimmick has been completely run into the ground. The store sales, for the most part, suck now. You can almost always get better deals online or as it gets closer to Christmas anyway. The super deal door busters are typically a sham (i.e. the fine print in the ads, "5-10 items per store") and just end up creating havoc in the stores. You need not look any further than any WalMart store where you have a thousand people practically killing each other to grab one of those 5-10 gems that are a whopping half off! Need a reminder, just watch the YouTube videos of those precious WalMart shoppers over the past few years at the Black Friday openings and you won't want to set foot near one of those stores when they open!

Gone are the days of planning your Friday shopping strategy with your friend, getting up early and lining up at the store, chatting with your linemates about the deals you hope to get while drinking a cup of coffee. Now it is just about the almighty dollar rolling into the retail coffers at any expense. Whether it be personal expense (in the form of injury) or at the expense of holiday tradition. I guess this is what this country has come to. Shopping over family. Dollars over tradition. And what makes it even worse is the fact that more and more people buy into this nonsense every year, all to save a few measly bucks. Now that Black Friday has destroyed Thanksgiving, I suppose the next attack will be on Christmas when the stores will begin to offer door busters early Christmas morning. Never-mind Santa and the gifts under the tree this year, Johnny. We are going to WalMart at 4AM and buying your presents because I can get 25% off! Just wait, it will happen sooner or later.

Even though it isn't what it used to be, I will still go out on Black FRIDAY. I won't line up at 3AM anywhere (or 6AM the day before). No, I will wake up, have some breakfast and make my way to the stores I enjoy shopping at. I will watch the remaining deal hunters scrambling about to find that amazing bargain someone overlooked and the throngs of people still waiting in line for hours to pay for their treasures. And I will smile, and laugh, because for me, this isn't a shopping event anymore. It is free entertainment. And I know I will still find some bargains along with those chuckles. I always do. Because after the store has been destroyed by all the early birds, there are always some gems left in the debris when the cleanup begins. You just need to know where to look!

Enjoy your holiday...whatever you choose to do. :D

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: Face it, Black Friday is Dead!

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 am

Good speech!

For a lot of people, going out shopping is more of a tradition than anything. Whether it be at 6am on Thanksgiving, 6pm on Thanksgiving, or 6am on Friday. It's more about the tradition and fun of doing it rather than the bargains.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:31 am

Change the thread title to expanded for accuracy. The 24/7 store will likely have doorbusters in stock throughout their 24 hour plus sale window. It allows a big box retailer to offer products during different time periods.

I'd like to see a more sophisticated approach with e-location maps where a display has been moved and the said item is the only thing there. Mount eye catching objects from the ceiling to funnel shoppers to that pallet. Co-locate pallets of lesser items that belong in the same department like a coffee maker and a pot & pan set.

Expanded hours are a marketers dream and anything but reduced opportunities.

blueredzone
Black Friday Pro

Postby blueredzone » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:51 pm

While times have changed from original black friday. It was always about people lining up at the stores. Someone has always camped out at best buy to be first in line. I don't think it was ever about the bargains. Because looking at the ads back then... Best buy didn't really have anything worth lining up for a day early (IMO).

To me it seems the bargains have gotten better on better stuff. I remember when the store I worked at had a $49 dvd player and that was just an amazing deal. But the player was a piece of crap. Now you can save money on Bigger items like the game systems or even major appliances.

If it was about the bargains no one would line up more than 1 hr early to save $20 on a dvd player or a game system or whatever.

The excitement and the tradition I feel is what many people are after.

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:09 pm

Don't like stores open on Thanksgiving, here's a thought: Skip the big box stores and shop at local, small businesses! Keep your money in your community, skip the crowds of Walmart and Best Buy this holiday season.

I've always gone out at around midnight, whether it was to stand in line for a 5am store opening or to see what is remaining from a 6am/6pm sale. To me that's the tradition I'm planning on holding, and even continuing through my daughter starting this year.

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:51 pm

I used to enjoy going out at midnight, getting some coffee and pancakes at the local IHOP, with only a few other people there. The people who were there were probably BF shoppers to, with a subtle nod to each other as we drink and scan some ads. Calm before the storm,.. before the battle. Even if the deals weren't excellent, it was a fun tradition.

Now that tradition is gone. IHOP is packed all day and night with shoppers who don't earn the right to be called "BF Shoppers" in my opinion. The deals are so horrible that it's hard to really find the point in going out, if only for the sake of some kind of tradition that might be left.

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:37 pm

totally agree.. stores are one-upping and putting sales out before Black Friday.. or items you can get now at BF prices (Target just put one such ad out).

BF pricing will start to move closer and closer to the day after Halloween as stores continue to try to get the buyers in sooner and quicker. It's just the natural progression of things.. like the fact that more and more stores are opening on Thursday, etc.

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:36 pm

I'm hoping (as I do every year) that the Thursday sales are a bust this year. With the short shopping window after Thanksgiving this year, and then the long window coming up next year, I'm hoping some of the stores will return to the more traditional Black Friday sales. It used to be that Best Buy and Circuit City were the first to open - 6:00am eventually became 4:00am before all hell broke lose. Then everyone else would open an hour later with the office stores being 2 hours later.

With online options, deals being spread out with 4 or 5 different "doorbuster" times at the same store, and just my lack of desire to sacrifice for a $50-$100 savings, Black Friday is pretty much over for me after 20 years. I'll still shop over the weekend - perhaps even early Friday morning. But it will just be shopping. I won't be standing in line anymore.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:40 pm

BFVet wrote:I'm hoping (as I do every year) that the Thursday sales are a bust this year.

I know you and many others dislike the Thursday sales and I can see your POV. However, since the Thursday openings, sales have just increased and gone up every year since. It's not going to be a bust, and can almost guarantee you sales will be higher than previous years.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:39 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
BFVet wrote:I'm hoping (as I do every year) that the Thursday sales are a bust this year.

I know you and many others dislike the Thursday sales and I can see your POV. However, since the Thursday openings, sales have just increased and gone up every year since. It's not going to be a bust, and can almost guarantee you sales will be higher than previous years.

I feel like sales increase because everyone is afraid if they don't go they will miss the deals. Right now, Target has one of the better ads but it all depends on whether or not people think it is worth the hassle as there are comparable deals either now or most likely later (except for some of the small things). I find it funny how these stores just don't say "heck it, let's open up 10 AM Thanksgiving." We know they want to do it and tap into the day off. They just better be ready to be fully staffed and pay the holiday salary. :mrgreen:

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:18 am

BFVet wrote:I'm hoping (as I do every year) that the Thursday sales are a bust this year. With the short shopping window after Thanksgiving this year, and then the long window coming up next year, I'm hoping some of the stores will return to the more traditional Black Friday sales. It used to be that Best Buy and Circuit City were the first to open - 6:00am eventually became 4:00am before all hell broke lose. Then everyone else would open an hour later with the office stores being 2 hours later.

With online options, deals being spread out with 4 or 5 different "doorbuster" times at the same store, and just my lack of desire to sacrifice for a $50-$100 savings, Black Friday is pretty much over for me after 20 years. I'll still shop over the weekend - perhaps even early Friday morning. But it will just be shopping. I won't be standing in line anymore.

I hope, that this is a pendulum swing. It will eventually reach a point where moving the opening time or offering a special 5% Mail in rebate will not be enough to win a shopper, especially from online retailers, and thus brick and mortars will have to figure out a new strategy, whether it be actual better sales or back to just having one major BLOWOUT sale on Black Friday.

I hope. But even if I'm right, it may take a few more years for the pendulum to start swinging back in our favor.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:55 am

If people were worried about missing the sales then they would have come out in the middle of the night or early friday morning. So seeing as how sales have increased with the earlier sale times, it's likely not for that reason.

Earlier times allow for MORE people to come out. A lot more people have thanksgiving off than the friday after.

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:13 am

After seeing Walmart's ad, there is nothing and I mean nothing being shown item wise or in minor price reduction that would make me give up half a day off waiting in line for certain deals. (This was not the case with Black Friday days of the past). Other than some software deals and a couple of items that you have to wade through, these are some of the worst ads I have seen in years...especially since they are creeping into Thanksgiving.

EDIT: Even Amazon with their "Black Friday" deals have been pretty disappointing. And yes, with the release of certain ads this week, I have seen them adjust their deal prices...even increasing them.

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:19 am

As stores come out with ads, other stores agree to price match if you buy them ahead of BF. So stores like Walmart, etc are being sneaky and trying to grab sales from other stores. It's all about getting you in the door.

If this trend continues you might find a regression in announcements.. i.e. stores waiting later to make the announcements so their doorbusters aren't trumped by early price matching.

So many retailers are doing "buy now at BF pricing" because they don't want to wait until Thurs/Fri or Cyber Monday.

So I see the overall trend of "Black Friday" sales fliers on the downtrend.. and "black November" sales showing up. Just one mans opinion.

-- Comment 6pm 11/19- See I was right.. Walmart just announced another price matching today. Buy other stores BF items today at the BF price (while in stock). They won't match a gift-card inclusion, only the sale price

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:20 pm

blue3715 wrote:As stores come out with ads, other stores agree to price match if you buy them ahead of BF. So stores like Walmart, etc are being sneaky and trying to grab sales from other stores. It's all about getting you in the door.

If this trend continues you might find a regression in announcements.. i.e. stores waiting later to make the announcements so their doorbusters aren't trumped by early price matching.

So many retailers are doing "buy now at BF pricing" because they don't want to wait until Thurs/Fri or Cyber Monday.

So I see the overall trend of "Black Friday" sales fliers on the downtrend.. and "black November" sales showing up. Just one mans opinion.

-- Comment 6pm 11/19- See I was right.. Walmart just announced another price matching today. Buy other stores BF items today at the BF price (while in stock). They won't match a gift-card inclusion, only the sale price

BF is turning into Black November. However, the deals will most likely get worse or more chaotic with stipulations for price matching and different timed deals...just so stores can get the better of each other. We will see what happens after BF but it is safe to say that stores are trying to get the "big push" from compulsive BF shoppers by creating a huge demand with maps in their store and staggered times to get people to spend in bulk...as most fear that once they spend now they may not spend later.

Let them do what they want. They only ruin it for themselves, creating more chaos and then having to change their ways to get themselves out of it again instead of creating a firm standard with some fluctuation. Then again...no one ever said that retail was smart. lol

Return to “Rants and Raves”