To the person I met at Target in Southern Iowa today

Discuss Black Friday shopping and strategy with your neighbors.

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

melcia
Black Friday Amateur

To the person I met at Target in Southern Iowa today

Postby melcia » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:56 pm

You made my day when you recognized my BFads.net sweatshirt! Thought I'd say hi!

trainnut
Black Friday Amateur

Re: To the person I met at Target in Southern Iowa today

Postby trainnut » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:10 am

Hi! It took me this long to remember my username and password. I saw you in the dot area near the front of the store. Are you going to shop in "O" or go to "DM"? I'll have to find my bfads t-shirt from a couple years ago and start wearing it, maybe someone will recognize it for me too.

melcia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby melcia » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:16 am

I'll be doing the O and then online too. But I'll hit up Walmart first (help!) and then head to Target and end the night at Menards. I'll either pull an all nighter or try to catch a nap between Target and Menards. I just wish there was a store or two that opened around 2 or 3 am, but I can't find one! Oh well! It's going to be a fun night no matter what. :)

How about you?

trainnut
Black Friday Amateur

Postby trainnut » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:49 am

Walmart, Target and maybe Menards and Kohl's. Will probably go to DM. This year is so much different than other years so I am a little depressed about black friday. I like going early morning better that trying to figure out how to go to a sale at 8 pm and then midnight and then 5 am if I am in DM. Also, I am not finding as much good stuff to buy at Kohl's and Menards like I usually find. My batteries from Menards were not good last year. Many of them died before I could use them. Walmart and Target both have a lot I will get but they are at the same time. I think my husband can go to Target and I can go to Walmart easily at the same time if we go to Altoona.

At least it will be warm!!! :D :D :D I remember almost freezing to death some years.

Anyone else here in Iowa? I know you are out there. I think I had to fight some of you off last year! :D Actually I've met way more nice people in lines and in the store than I have had problems. I've even had people help me hold things in line at Kohl's before checking out because I could not get a cart and had too much stuff. Both women in front and behind me held my items for me.

melcia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby melcia » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:01 pm

The O town Walmart was just horrible last year. If it's bad this year, I might wind up going up to Osky next year...

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm in DM :)

i'm usually in the valley west area during BF.

melcia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby melcia » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:46 pm

What's Jordan Creek like on Black Friday? I've always wondered.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:49 pm

probably nuts.

we did the mall there the first year they were open at midnight. it wasn't bad at all. the next year it was CRAZY.
i think last year was the first year we skipped it since all the other stores were opening earlier and then we just went to valley west after their crowd dies.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:50 pm

i like doing the valley west area since nearly everything is right there in a little cluster.

Coreen
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Coreen » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm in Central Iowa (Ames area). I also hate that the sales are getting earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving. I want the PS3 bundle and if I want to get in line at Walmart in Ames, I'll have to leave my house between 6:30 and 7:00, I think. That's ridiculous. I'm hoping I can get it online through Amazon. Then the plan is Walmart/Target on Thursday and back home to bed. Then I'll go out Friday about 6:30. We spend most of the day out and about (my sister, friend and I) just seeing what we find. We will hit Walmart/Target again, Thiesen's, Gordman's, Family Christian and Menard's for sure. Then wherever else we feel like going. We boycott Kohl's and Best Buy. LOL

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:51 pm

i love the thursday night openings. i HAAATE getting up so early on friday and then i end up sleeping all day friday to catch up on sleep.
last year with the early openings we were done by 2 am and then i had a normal friday :)

however the only reason i don't like it is because then i usually miss out on any stores that have sales 4-6am friday morning.

i want to go to gordman's in the worst way for the rachel ray pots and pans set.... i'm going to check it out tomorrow to make sure they even have them.
and i always forget i live pretty close to the east side gordman's..... maybe i should check them out too in case i have to jump out of bed and run over at 5 am.

trainnut
Black Friday Amateur

Postby trainnut » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:54 am

I think we will go to Altoona. Several stores in one cluster. I might go to Kohls but I found out today one thing is not going to be in the stores as advertised. The carabiner watch comes only in red and not the black I wanted. I think the person I called said they don't even have the compass. Not in stock online either.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:40 pm

did you try calling all the kohls in the area? we have a million of them lol

ankeny, merle hay mall, valley west mall area, Jordan creek -- i feel like i'm missing one lol

i'm always curious as to how BF is up in ankeny, they have nearly everything together as well, except a mall.

beanieprincess
Black Friday Newbie

Postby beanieprincess » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:13 pm

i wil be going to walmart and then walgrens

trainnut
Black Friday Amateur

Postby trainnut » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:54 pm

Long line at Ankeny Kohls but very orderly. The lines at the cashier can get long if you spend too much time shopping.

I called all the Kohls except Jordan Creek because I know I won't go that far out to shop. They all have the red watch. Which after hours of looking at all the carabiner watches online and went into my son's room only to find a new watch box laying on the floor. :x Why does he buy himself so much stuff right before Christmas?

Return to “Local Talk”