Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

Who does Black Friday "right"?

Walmart, where everything is sold out by the time the sale begins, but you can get stuff if you want to wander around the store with a full shopping cart for 5 hours.
24%
Every other store, where you form a line and enter the fully stocked store at opening time.
76%

Total votes: 68

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:56 pm

I'm shocked every year that some people actually think WalMart's approach to Black Friday is better.

nikkigirl01
Black Friday Pro

Re: Poll: Who does it right, Walmart, or everyone else?

Postby nikkigirl01 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:05 pm

My Walmart's "style" this year was great. Enabled me to get out of there by 10:05 and get in line at Target... I'm not necessarily concerned aout things being sold out by 10PM. You snooze, you lose....

danimo
Black Friday Pro

Postby danimo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:16 pm

I voted every other store, however, their approach to doorbusters is more fair than BB. Since, I know at WM, nobody was able to cut in line, like they did at BB.

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:18 pm

nikkigirl01 wrote:I'm not necessarily concerned aout things being sold out by 10PM. You snooze, you lose....

I just think its ridiculous. They publish a starting time for the sale, but that isn't the real starting time. The real starting time is some unknown, ambiguous random and inconsistent time. And because its random, every WalMart is different and, even more ridiculous, different products go on sale at different times at the same WalMart (i.e., the waffle irons may roll out at 6:00pm, and the DVDs roll out at 9:30pm). Furthermore (and this is the most frustrating thing about WalMart), say you show up at 8:30pm looking for Paula Deen cookware, and you can't find it. Does that mean (a) it is "sold out" even though it doesn't go on sale until 10:00, (b) the store never had any in stock even though it was advertised, or (c) it is still sitting in the warehouse somewhere and isn't on sale yet? There's no way to know (and, in my experience, no employee can accurately and confidently provide such an answer). So what do you do? Sit around until 10:00 hoping it shows up sometime, or move on assuming it is already gone?

tlwg04
Black Friday Pro

Postby tlwg04 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:36 pm

Everyone else.

I feel that I have a fairer shot, and more control over getting the items I want when there is a line and my success is predicated on my place in line. there is no such organization at walmart, where the person who strolls in with 10 minutes to spare* can get just as lucky.

**10 minutes to spare is highly subjective, as the mob mentality generally takes over 30 minutes prior to sale and all hell breaks loose.

PLUS, unless its a special promo item shipped in for BF, sometimes the item isnt even there, having sold out in the days or weeks before. :roll:

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:35 pm

For people who use this forum every year, it'd be Walmart because the regulars on this board KNOW to go to Walmart several hours early if they want to get everything on the list. Those who are new to Walmart, or who don't read these forums would vote the other way because they don't know to get there early.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

LHaro
Black Friday Pro

Postby LHaro » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:37 pm

I don't want to wait outside and get trampled in a mad rush. I show up early, get the items I'm going to price match and wait for the sale to start for the items in the pallets (I have never been there when the pallets were opened more than 30 minutes early - I realize that may happen in some stores, but my Walmart is very organized and the staff try really hard to keep things wrapped until the sale starts, sometimes people just aren't willing to wait any longer). What is the difference between walking around the store for 5 hours and standing in line outside for 5 hours - inside I'm warm and safe and I've always left with what I came for.

angel_of_oz
Black Friday Pro

Postby angel_of_oz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:17 pm

teknoge3k wrote:For people who use this forum every year, it'd be Walmart because the regulars on this board KNOW to go to Walmart several hours early if they want to get everything on the list. Those who are new to Walmart, or who don't read these forums would vote the other way because they don't know to get there early.

Except the rare ones of us who have decent Walmarts. I do believe I am in the minority on that, big time. If I had to deal with a Walmart like you have, or everyone else, I might think differently. I am very thankful to have our Walmart.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:44 pm

angel_of_oz wrote:Except the rare ones of us who have decent Walmarts. I do believe I am in the minority on that, big time. If I had to deal with a Walmart like you have, or everyone else, I might think differently. I am very thankful to have our Walmart.

Our Walmart is GREAT! They started at 7:30ish with everything, and then let us stand in line afterwards. They even gave out 5hr energy shots for free!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

nikkigirl01
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikkigirl01 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:47 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
angel_of_oz wrote:Except the rare ones of us who have decent Walmarts. I do believe I am in the minority on that, big time. If I had to deal with a Walmart like you have, or everyone else, I might think differently. I am very thankful to have our Walmart.

Our Walmart is GREAT! They started at 7:30ish with everything, and then let us stand in line afterwards. They even gave out 5hr energy shots for free!

Love my BF Walmart too...(which is saying something because it's in a bad neighborhood and doesn't have the "best" clientele.)

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:59 pm

i prefer that they let people grab stuff ahead of time. at ours they don't allow it for the movies and it's freaking NUTS and SCARY.

angel_of_oz
Black Friday Pro

Postby angel_of_oz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:12 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
angel_of_oz wrote: They even gave out 5hr energy shots for free!

WHAAAAAAT?! too funny. Ours gave cookies but no 5 hour energy lol

ETA I totally read the original question wrong...well....I read it right but processed it wrong. I thought you were saying that Walmart did it wrong....lol

kimg
Black Friday Pro

Postby kimg » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:44 pm

I don't have a problem w/ them being open and letting you shop early. I actually like that - but they act like they aren't going to let you do that at first, w/ employees "guarding" the pallets at first, then more and more people sneak stuff until they give up. I don't like that their employees have no idea the answer to ANY question you ask, or if they answer, they are telling you something that's usually not correct. I don't like that you have to wait in line for items like the xbox and then put the games that go w/ it on sale on the opposite side of the store. I'd like to be able to get more than one doorbuster if I happen to be there alone (I wasn't) - which BB and Target's system gives you a better chance if you don't have people working w/ you. I like the early bird gets the worm model #1 for every store. It ticks me off that people can waltz in at the last minute and take things those who have been waiting can't get to b/c they are in a line.

Even though it worked for me, I would not want every store to be open all day Thanksgiving either. There should only be one Wal-mart w/ all it's craziness.

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:49 pm

teknoge3k wrote:For people who use this forum every year, it'd be Walmart because the regulars on this board KNOW to go to Walmart several hours early if they want to get everything on the list. Those who are new to Walmart, or who don't read these forums would vote the other way because they don't know to get there early.

But you're just guessing. You never really know.

Say you get to WalMart at 7:00, but this year they decided not to bring out any of the pallets yet. At 8:30 they start rolling pallets out, but have $7.65/hour Walmart employees guarding them and telling you that you can't put things in your cart. Finally, when 10:00 hits, they unwrap everything. Great! Whatever you happen to be standing next to, you'll get. But that's all you'll get.

So, you get there plenty early, might even be first in line if there were actually a line, and you get one thing.

Of course, you might luck out and guess right as to how the store is going to handle Black Friday. And if you do guess right, you'll like get a lot of the things on your list.

Compare that to every other store. You get there early enough to be first in line, and with rare exception, you're virtually guaranteed to get everything you want. If you don't, its because you didn't scout the store and know where to get things - and, accordingly, you've got only yourself to blame. If you don't get eveything you want at WalMart, its because WalMart doesn't know how to operate a Black Friday sale.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:52 pm

I much much much prefer Target even if I have to wait outside in the cold w/ no bathroom.
Steff

Return to “Rants and Raves”