Has anybody ever bought a TV over the internet?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: ikey2, teknoge3k, Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

janicetn
Black Friday Newbie

Has anybody ever bought a TV over the internet?

Postby janicetn » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:07 pm

Hi,,

I am interested in buying a small HDTV over the internet with free shipping and no sales tax. Otherwise I would buy one here locally.

Has anyone had an experience doing this? Do they pack them well enough to withstand shipping? I used to work at the post office and know the rough treatment that packages get. Pros/Cons??
Thanks ,, Janice

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:13 pm

I have received flat screen computer monitors via shipment before and they have had no problem but what is the size? Also, is it LCD?

It all depends on the type of shipping and from where?

I normally would go to a store so if there are any immediate problems you can go directly to them instead of dealing with the hassle of phones/email.

svngpvtry
Black Friday Pro

Postby svngpvtry » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:59 pm

Just do your research and stick with reputable sources and use a credit card for the purchase. Even if you have the money use a credit card. It is a whole lot easier to dispute a charge for whatever reason with your CC company that it is your bank. Many credit card companies even offer their own warranties for products you purchase and so on. Just make sure and take care of that balance during the grace period.

Michael
The King

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:30 pm

Bought a television through http://www.6ave.com and I know people who have purchased televisions through Amazon.

Great experiences with both companies.

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:09 am

I bought my TV last year through Circuit City Thanksgiving Day at Black Friday prices to avoid a higher sales tax at the nearest Circuit City (it's an hour away, but in another state). It came the next week in the packaging that it would have been in if I went to the store. I was hoping they would have at least packed it in another brown box, but they didn't. They let anyone and everyone see what I was getting. That part made me a little nervous after I received it. Other than that the transaction went smoothly.

Ghost3B
Black Friday Pro

Postby Ghost3B » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:25 am

I ordered my 52 in Sharp LCD from Circuit City on Thanksgiving day last year. I did in-store pick up, so I'm not sure about the shipping...sorry.

bogart
Black Friday Pro

Postby bogart » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:40 am

I got my 37" LCD from Target (BF bargain!) last year and it shipped in the same box that you'd buy at the store.

No additional packaging, and having worked at UPS I was a bit skeptical when I saw the big brown truck show up....

However, the TV was well-packed in the manufacturer's box, and snug with styrofoam-- no damage, no problems.

killasnake
Admin

Postby killasnake » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:55 am

I worked for UPS and USPS before, let me tell you they are really rough on every single package that are very heavy. Doing ground shipping is worst because a lot of "hands" will be tossing the package around. It has to be sorted 2-3 times into different containers before it arrives to your door step.

Pay more for 3 day or next day delivery.

Tony
Admin

Postby Tony » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:43 pm

killasnake wrote:I worked for UPS and USPS before, let me tell you they are really rough on every single package that are very heavy. Doing ground shipping is worst because a lot of "hands" will be tossing the package around. It has to be sorted 2-3 times into different containers before it arrives to your door step.

Pay more for 3 day or next day delivery.

So you were the one who broke my 32" HDTV screen :(

Vetterin
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Vetterin » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:55 pm

I bought a 42" Panasonic plasma from Amazon in 2005 and have had no problems whatsoever. The company that delivered it actually brought it in the house, unpacked it from the box, installed the base and placed it on my stand. They even were going to remove the packaging but I thought it better to keep it just in case. I was pretty impressed to say the least.

robb01
Black Friday Pro

Postby robb01 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:56 pm

I know several people that have, never had a problem w/ them. Ive personally ordered 3 LCD monitors and all are running strong. Just buy from a reputable dealer
On the Hunt for Great Deals!

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:05 pm

I have bought a tv and 2 surround systems through CC with mail deliver. One of the surround systems was thrashed!! And it had gas or something awful smelling like that spilled all over the box which got on the item. It was a christmas present and it was the biggest hassle. They had no more, couldn't get one out to me on time, blah blah. We ended up keeping it and took it out of the box to air out for awhile and it was ok. I think it is a 50/50 chance.

killasnake
Admin

Postby killasnake » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:27 pm

Tony wrote:So you were the one who broke my 32" HDTV screen :(

Sorry about that, I knew it was yours and I slammed it on the ground. :twisted:

BrianMDPhD
Black Friday Pro

Postby BrianMDPhD » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:12 am

I have purchased two monitors and an HDTV via online before, they are shipped very well packaged and padded. Although, anything bigger than say a 30" TV, I would much rather buy it in-store.

Return to “Off Topic”