Share your 2019 Black Friday experience

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: ikey2, teknoge3k, Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Share your 2019 Black Friday experience

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:27 am

Let us know your 2019 Black Friday experience. Where did you shop? What did you buy? What was your game plan? Did you spend a ton? Did you get everything on your list? How were the crowds?
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

hiker
Official Zipper

Re: Share your 2019 Black Friday experience

Postby hiker » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:28 pm

Online only shopping. Spent way too much as I always do. My best buy was an MSI gaming laptop that was sold out everywhere online and in most local Best Buy stores across the US it seems.. Finally found 1 left down south (that was originally sold out) and purchased it. Had a friend pick it up for me and he'll bring it up to me next week.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:33 pm

I went out Thanksgiving night at 9:00 pm or so and visited Walmart and Target. By that time, all the crowds and lines had disappeared. Many of the second and third-tier doorbusters were still available then. I was able to get some cheap DVDs and a $5 bath mat at Walmart and a set of $8 doorbuster Rubbermaid containers at Target.

On Black Friday morning I got up late and headed out at 9:00 am. I visited Dollar Tree and got a couple of $1 DVDs. I went to Sportsman's Warehouse and contemplated buying the fishing backpack that was on sale. I went to Costco, looked around and bought a pair of athletic shoes that were marked down to $10.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:51 pm

I went to JCP at opening to get a coupon ($10 off $10 of course) so I got a dress I had been watching for $27.11 including tax. I had come across it last week and it was "on sale" for around $45 or $50 so I think I did ok there. Original price was stated as $74, but I doubt it was ever offered for that price.

Friday morning I went to Kohl's. I got a couple shirts and a sheet set for myself. They didn't have either of the colors I really wanted for the sheets, but I figured this was just a backup set so it didn't matter. I also got a hoodie and sleep pants for my sister. They were out of the sweat pants (except maybe 2 pairs that were the wrong size).

Then I went to Denver Mattress Company because it's near Bass Pro and I've been meaning to look into getting a new mattress... Didn't buy anything today, but got a couple options to consider.

Next was Bass Pro - I wanted jeans but they only had skinny jeans in my size :(. I got a thermal crew like every year (rhubarb color this year), a hoodie for my sister and fleece lined jeans for my mom. I was also wanting to check out the pajama pants but there were only 2 left in women's (the associate said they had 2000 and those 2 were all that were left). They were the wrong size, and seemed kind of thin so I wasn't as disappointed about those.

Went to Menards and got a xtek base layer shirt - fingers crossed it fits. No 99-cent socks this year. I went a bit overboard with them last year. Also proud of myself for not taking the rice crispy treats sheet :P

Finally to tractor supply for some pants my mom wanted. First time I've been in that store...

And now I'm home. Might go to Target tomorrow and see what DVDs they have. That's about it for me.

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfshoppermom » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:07 pm

Started online at Walmart when they went live at 10pm Wed. Grabbed the Apple Watch for one of my kiddos, the record player, and the bluetooth earbud things (the $34 ones.)

Did JCP and got my 10 off 10 coupon and used it on fashion boots for one of my teens. Then I did Walmart for the $98 Roku TV that ad said they would have 6 minimum. My store got 114 of them so that was good news for a lot of people that wanted that item. Then went to my mom's for leftovers (we ate at noon to start.) My college girl worked that morning (Cracker Barrel) and then drove into town so grabbed her and other daughter and we went to Target (and then back to Walmart) to scavenge a bit after the crowds had left. Got a few small things they wanted and then went on home. I was out again just before 6 today to go to Lowe's but didn't win that $500 prize either. I did get a 10 off 50 coupon and used it to get a few gifts and the limit of 16 of the 50 cent Poinsettia's. Then off to Target to get my 20% off coupon (just buying staples I needed anyway and 1 video game for a gift to qualify.)

I wasn't after a ton of stuff this year so I would call it successful. And I made it to the post office today to mail my package for the ornament exchange when girls and I went out to see Frozen 2.

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

Postby justhangingout528 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:48 pm

Went to Famous Footwear to get some shoes for the boy. Typical BOGO 1/2 off deal, plus 15% coupon and I had $5 reward credit, so did pretty well. Nobody in there, so no wait.

Went to Bath and Body works. Boy needed more body spray. I bought him three, and then got 3 new scents for me since it was Buy 3 Get 3 free. This was a non-mall location, so it was only semi-busy, and they had three people at the register waiting on one customer :evil: , so even though I was first in line I had to wait.

Headed down to Barnes and Noble. That was semi-busy (it's right near the mall.)

Mall was hoppin'. Got there about lunchtime, but didn't have to wait to find a spot. Checked out Old Navy, found nothing great, especially considering the line. Went to Penney's and found a couple of shirts for my husband (not the plan lol) and some PJ bottoms for me - then proceeded to wait in a line that was like 40 people long. (ALL the lines in that store were like that. Ugh.) By then I was BFed out for the day (at least for now. Might head to Kohl's later.) By the time I left the mall the parking was totally full, the traffic inside the mall circle road was horrid, and was glad I was leaving.

Still had to do grocery shopping, but that wasn't too bad since everyone was at the mall :lol:

Did do some online shopping previously and got some decent deals.

Irishmaire
Black Friday Pro

Postby Irishmaire » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:10 pm

This BF was a bit different for me. I had leg surgery two weeks ago. I was hoping to do some BF shopping at the stores but I knew I had to limit my walking. I did more online shopping this year than I typically do. I started on Monday when I checked various sites. Some sites had their sale going then so I ordered then. I placed more orders on Wednesday at Old Navy, JCPenney, Boscov's and Famous Footwear. Thursday we hosted Thanksgiving dinner so I didn't focus on ordering. I got up and out for the 6 am opening of Joann Fabrics on Friday. I picked up a gift there for dd. Then I headed to Home Depot for batteries and a fresh wreath. Then I went to Dicks Sporting Goods for a sled and boots. From there I went to Michael's and picked up some crafting materials for dd. I headed to Bath and Body Works and picked up their plug in scents. Then I headed to Bed Bath and Beyond hoping to get a gift for dd but they didn't have the item. By that point, it was 9 am so I headed home. There were no crowds. There were generally 2 people working a register and just one person in front of me at the check out line. Gone are the days of me shopping at 5 am and returning at 11 am or 12 pm from waiting in line and shopping.

When i got home, I placed orders at QVC and Amazon. Two packages that I ordered on Monday arrived this afternoon. We tested lights for the Christmas tree and discovered a few died since last year. I ran out to Walmart just before dinner to get tree lights and C batteries for the train. The lot was fuller than normal. Next thing I knew, I was buying more gift items there. I was contemplating turning in my basket for a shopping cart it was getting so heavy. It was kind of like "Well, since I'm here and walking past it and it's on my list to buy, I might as well buy it now." There were only four lanes opened with lines being two or three people deep. It really wasn't bad at all. After dinner, I started to work on the the budget spread sheet. I think that we are getting close to being done shopping for the family. Oh, sure, they'll be small incidentals here and there but the bulk of it is looking good now. I'm really glad. I have to go in again for surgery next week. I want to get as much shopping and wrapping done as possible.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to bfads.net! The summary of sales, store openings, emails, spread sheets, .pdfs, wisdom, etc. have helped me out a lot this year. I really appreciate it!

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:37 am

Started Wednesday morning, spent literally the whole day trying to find a guitar. Found it. Then Wednesday night (at the bar for a party mind you) when walmart went live. Snagged three more gifts.

Thursday morning dropped son off at best buy. One person in line when we get there. All day nothing. Then 3pm 8 more people show up, 330 they pass out tickets, 4pm 2 more people show up they get tickets then slowly more people show up closer to 5 when the store opened. Shocked the heck out of me. Then I saw the news and was grateful, the best buy I typically go to had close to 50 people in line before the break of dawn Thursday morning.

Thursday night after best buy hit up walmart. Got some wine, Christmas decorations, and then all the stuff I typically get except those meal prep containers.

Friday morning went to lowes literally just for a can of paint. Pulled up well past 100 people in line at 5:45am. Got my can of paint and a poinsettia. Got one because people were going crazy over them lol and I figured I would jump on that train by snagging one. Just one :lol:

After lowes went to ulta beauty since they were open and snagged the fragrance gift set for $14.95. Then went to Walmart and got the meal prep containers and some socks. Then went to autozone to get brakes and then went home to watch disney plus with my family all day.

SoDangPretty
Black Friday Pro

Postby SoDangPretty » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:06 am

I started last Saturday with Best Buy elite early access, snagged the Razer gaming keyboard for $54 for my son. I actually got the same keyboard on clearance for $29 at Target about a month ago, but they only had one and my husband refuses to share. :roll: :lol:

Got some leggings and winter boots from Kohls online on Monday, the boots were a doorbuster so paid a couple dollars more on Monday but actually came out ahead with the Kohls cash back.

Got up at 4 on Thanksgiving, ran to Kroger to get a paper ( I still enjoy paper ads!) and then stopped by my Starbucks for my coffee and dropped off Apple pie and ice cream for the baristas to enjoy later.

When I got home, i jumped back on kohls and got the hubby 2 pairs of sketchers for $53 and got more kohls cash. Then I cooked and we ate around 12.

Around 3, I headed out and the teenager came with me ( his first year!) Stopped at Starbucks again for another coffee and dropped off more goodies. Headed to Walmart, walked in and got everything we wanted. Those $34 earbuds, $5 kids underwear, $10 kids shoes, the pillows, some leggings, $12 jeans..I ended up spending $140 which wasnt too bad. We were first in line and out by 6:03.

Then we hit Kohls..again. I got 2 more pairs of boots, some more leggings and graphic tees..and more Kohls cash.

Left Kohls and headed to Target. Right as I walked in..BOOM! Best doorbuster ever..Tek and his beautiful wife were there!! It was really great to just chat for a few minutes, he is such a great friend and it was the beat past of my day!

After that, we grabbed a purple ps4 controller and headed home.

I went out Friday and ended up back at Kohls. Got me a nice jacket and more boots LOL everyone I know is getting boots this year!! Got more Kohls cash!! I have $60 in cash to spend, but at this point..not sure what else to buy lol.

Overall, it's been a great week. Target is buy $100 get $50 off everything Christmas this weekend and tomorrow they start more daily deals!

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

Postby justhangingout528 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:58 am

Started Wednesday morning, spent literally the whole day trying to find a guitar. Found it. Then Wednesday night (at the bar for a party mind you) when walmart went live. Snagged three more gifts.

Thursday morning dropped son off at best buy. One person in line when we get there. All day nothing. Then 3pm 8 more people show up, 330 they pass out tickets, 4pm 2 more people show up they get tickets then slowly more people show up closer to 5 when the store opened. Shocked the heck out of me. Then I saw the news and was grateful, the best buy I typically go to had close to 50 people in line before the break of dawn Thursday morning.

Thursday night after best buy hit up walmart. Got some wine, Christmas decorations, and then all the stuff I typically get except those meal prep containers.

Friday morning went to lowes literally just for a can of paint. Pulled up well past 100 people in line at 5:45am. Got my can of paint and a poinsettia. Got one because people were going crazy over them lol and I figured I would jump on that train by snagging one. Just one :lol:

After lowes went to ulta beauty since they were open and snagged the fragrance gift set for $14.95. Then went to Walmart and got the meal prep containers and some socks. Then went to autozone to get brakes and then went home to watch disney plus with my family all day.
I was going to stop at Toyota to see if they had any deals on parts and totally forgot. :cry: I need to get brake pads and was hoping I could get some sort of discount.

I stopped at the tire place last week to have them check my tires, because I was totally going to take advantage of any of their deals if they had them, but he was honest and said I didn't need them. :)

bertaha
Black Friday Pro

Postby bertaha » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:20 am

We stopped at a Cabela's on the way to my in-laws on Wednesday. We looked around a bit and bought 3 of the $10 hoodies, one for my duaghter, my son and myself.

There wasn't really anything that I needed to buy on BF. I have started doing more and more online as the years have progressed, especially since most of the time I can get things delivered directly to my door in boxes that conceal the contents from my kids and husband.

I did go out with my husband's step-mother and daughter on Friday, but we didn't leave the house until 10 AM. My daughter wanted to go to Half Price Books. She had a specific book she was looking for, but they didn't have a copy in the store. My in-laws are getting her a record player that she wanted for Christmas and since the store sells record players my mother-in-law got her a gift card to go along with it. She also got a gift card for my son, so I know one thing that will be on our to do list while I take days off after Christmas.

Our next stop was Burlington. Nothing specific that we were looking for there but since we don't have one close to us here at home my daughter likes to go there when we are with the in-laws. She found some false eyelashes and nude lipstick colors that she needs for dance team competition on Thursday.

From there we went to Mill's Fleet Farm. They had a hunting backpack on sale that the in-laws wanted to get for my son for Christmas. We were able to get one of those and my mother-in-law also picked one up for my father-in-law. My mom had dual knee replacement on Halloween and she wasn't able to get out on black Friday so I picked her up some popcorn tins that she wanted and some trail mix to have for road snacks on our way home.

Our next stop was Marshall's. We do have one near us, but it's one of those stores that we like to go to in MN due to the no sales tax on clothes and shoes there. My mother-in-law bought me a beautiful lavender top and I found some chocolate covered espresso beans for my husband's stocking and a game for my son.

By then we needed a short break and went to Target for drinks and popcorn since it was next door. We didn't buy anything else in the store, but it was convenient for a place to sit and just chat for a bit.

Next we went to Home Goods. My daughter is obsessed with the store and is determined that she is going to redecorate her room. She walks around the store and takes pictures of things and then floods my text messages with them so that there are no questions about what she wants. My MIL bought some wrapping paper there and we were headed home.

My husband, my son and my FIL went to Cabela's while us ladies made the rounds. My husband was able to find the duck hunting parka he had been looking to buy on sale for 50% off. It had not been listed in their ad and he went on the off chance that they MIGHT have it on sale. it was the best find of the day. My son also bought a blanket for my daughter for Christmas and my husband bought her some thick, comfy socks.

We stopped at the Cabela's from Wednesday again on the way home yesterday. This time we picked up $10 jeans that they still had available for both myself and my daughter. We got some other things that we wanted that weren't on sale and went on our way home.

After we got home and unloaded the truck I made a trip to Wal-Mart to get the things that we need for my son's 4H meeting tonight. They are doing a gift exchange, donating to a food pantry and a cookie exchange. They still had BF items available. I bought myself a pair of $5 Eeyore PJ pants and was going to put a set of the $7 Rubbermaid containers that they still had, but I ended up putting them back. If I decide that I can't live without them I may go back today to see if they are still available. :lol:

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:09 am

I was going to stop at Toyota to see if they had any deals on parts and totally forgot. :cry: I need to get brake pads and was hoping I could get some sort of discount.

I stopped at the tire place last week to have them check my tires, because I was totally going to take advantage of any of their deals if they had them, but he was honest and said I didn't need them. :)

My brake pads went up by $10. I'm like where's the BF sales? Geez.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:31 am

We had a successful Black Friday although not as much as in years past. I am not sure if the deals just didn't jump out at me, or we just didn't need as much. I don't know.

A week before BF, I ordered a Tommy Hilfiger jacket from Macy's, a heated blanket from Target, a Nintendo Switch from Amazon, some Switch games, a new laptop, a laptop bag from Best Buy. I ordered 4 mice from Staples, 2 extra Ring cameras from Target, a FitBit Versa 2 from Kohl's, PlayStation year access from GameStop, and a Viper remote start system for my new car from Best Buy. Everything had arrived prior to BF. I am scheduled for the remote start installation next week.

Tuesday, I ordered a few more Tommy Hilfiger hoodies, and basketball and volleyball from Academy Sports. I was going to order the weight set but shipping was $75 so I skipped that.

Wednesday I woke up and ordered my wife a robe, an Under Armour fleece and hoodie from Macy's. I also ordered 6 Switch games and another blanket from Target with their Red Card early access. Then I ordered a Puma hoodie and sweatpants, and a Vans hoodie from JC Penney.

Thursday morning I woke up and ordered my wife a laptop, new desk, and office chair from Staples. Then I went to Dollar General to get some Tostitos, salsa and Dr. Peppers, as well as Xbox Live gift cards and Chili's gift cards from there. Then I came home and watched the parade until 3pm.

At 3pm I went to Walmart to hang out. Everything was wrapped in plastic as always. When the employees went to the back for their team meeting, I grabbed one of the Pioneer Woman Crock-Pots and put it in my buggy, then covered it up with a jacket. I then went to stand next to the cheap $150 laptops for my 8 year old. Once the plastic came off, I grabbed one of them, 7 packs of the MErkury smart lightbulbs, and 7 packs of the Merkury LED strips, then went to check out. I was the first person, no wait, did self check-out and was on the highway by 6:03.

I came home, dropped everything off, grabbed my wife, let my dog out and we drove an hour to the city to do some more shopping. First we hit Target which I had to pick up a game, she got some candy and I got the Pokemon MegaBlox thing for my kid. Then we were out within 10 minutes. We went to JCPenney and Belk which we ended up with nothing there. Then we went to Michael's where she bought some stuff. Then we went to FiveBelow and then Kirklands. From there, we went to A.C. Moore where I bought a TON of the $4 vinyl rolls. That's a steal on them for the Cricut.

After AC Moore went to dinner, then went back to Walmart to grab a turkey and just see what was left. I bought some more LED strips and smart-bulbs. Then we came home. We were home fairly early, and ended up watching tv and going to bed.

Friday I woke up and went to Lowe's to get some things, then Tractor Supply. After that I went to PetSmart, then came back home. I was officially done! I shopped some on Amazon throughout the day and bought some stuff but that was it. I spent the rest of the day watching football. :)

It was a success and I got everything on my list except for the weights.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

shrcpark
Black Friday Pro

Postby shrcpark » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:14 am

Thursday night, I purchased outside Christmas lights from Target and wreaths from Hobby Lobby. This year's focus is outside Christmas lighting decorations (Merry Christmas to me). I also ordered all several pairs of clothes, socks, and toys for the 3 kids on the Angel tree at church. I ventured out with my daughter Thursday night to pick up coffee at Manhattan bagel and some soaps at Bath and Body works. I want to Best Buy to grab my son's Oculus Rift S. The crowds were crazy at 8:00 pm and almost got ran over by 2 different cars.

Friday morning, my daughter, husband and a family friend went to Hobby Lobby to pick up outside bows for decorating the windows and banister. Then, we went to Michael's to pick up some outside reindeer decorations, lighted presents and garland for the outside windows. We went to Manhattan bagel to grab breakfast and coffee. We walked into Target to check out the Christmas light prices and see online was a better price. After that, we went to Bambu for bubble tea and Loews to check out if any poinsettias were left; they were all gone :(. We walked around the mall for 1.5 hours and walked in and out of various stores for winter clothes for my daughter. We came home and had Chick-fil-a for dinner. It was a nice weekend of relaxing and enjoying the family.

SavannahSparkles
Black Friday Pro

Postby SavannahSparkles » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:27 pm

Started off the week online Monday with Kohls, ordered two pairs of blackout curtains and a memory foam kitchen mat. Picked up the curtains in the store later in the week, had the mat shipped to my home (still waiting). Had my heart set on a winter coat advertised for $24, but they sold out almost immediately online, so I figured I would just try for in store on Thursday.

Wednesday I headed to a local furniture store to buy a sectional couch for our family room that was half off. Excited to have it delivered this week! Hit up Walmart online in the evening in order to avoid it on Thursday, they were sold out of the Wilton 2pk Pan Set I wanted, so I just ordered a BlackWeb screen protector for my phone and chose ship to store. Will pick it up later this week.

Blacksgiving Day was a bit hectic. The weather was AWFUL. 40 degrees and pouring rain for the first part. Went to JcPenney's first, waited outside for almost 2 hours for the $10 off $10 coupons, the rain eventually stopped but it was still pretty cold. Grabbed a Wet Brush/Curling Iron gift pack for myself.

Second stop on Thursday was Kohls. We showed up 2 1/2 hours early (I was determined to get that winter coat) and were the first people in line. No more rain, just strong cold winds. Got inside--only to be told that they don't have that coat in stock :cry: Was super upset, but at least I got the buy one get one 50% PopSockets for my daughter.

Went to Michael's afterwards, grabbed my Big Happy Planner for 2020.

Afterwards we went to Bed Bath and Beyond to grab the 25% off your entire purchase coupon, I purchased two white faux fur rugs for my master bedroom closet and sitting area.

Headed to the mall and back to JcPenney's. Found a different winter coat that I loved even more than the Kohls one on sale for 60% off plus another $10 off, so happy that I got it. Went to Lush afterwards to sample their new perfumes but didn't purchase anything (I like to go on Boxing Day for their big sale). Also hit up Bath and Body Works and Victoria's Secret.

Friday morning I woke up and got to Home Depot an hour early. I forgot to bring earbuds, but I figured I would just be surrounded by a bunch of quiet, burly men. I was dead wrong! I had to listen to insanely loud banter about construction jobs, roofing, and a guy claiming he was from Silicone Valley and owns a $300k home (pretty sure he was hitting on the girls in front of me) :roll: At least it was only for an hour. Grabbed my 3 step step stool for $9.89 and a push broom. Afterwards we went to WalMart and shopped their leftover items. Got the 30 piece Sharpie Set marked down to $5, and my husband got a pair of slippers. Also picked up a trash can and a Wilton cookie sheet.

Michael's split up their doorbusters over 3 days, so Saturday I went a couple of hours early to grab their Lexington 3 shelf rolling carts for my craft room. Last stop was at Lowes to buy a 5 tier shelf and ceiling fan on sale.

Got everything and more on my list, totally exhausted and happy it's over with :mrgreen:
The best I can give you is a fake smile and dead eyes.

It’s one thing not to want something; it’s another to be told you can’t have it.

Return to “Off Topic”