2018 Spreadsheet of all the Black Friday deals

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

Will1993
Black Friday Newbie

Re: 2018 Spreadsheet of all the Black Friday deals

Postby Will1993 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:30 pm

You deserve the equivalent of Reddit gold sir.

Vette184
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Vette184 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:51 am

Thank you for your effort once again this year!

koepkemf21
Black Friday Newbie

Postby koepkemf21 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:34 am

As every year, you are my hero Shopper X!

Only because you asked for feedback, one thing I noticed in the .xlsx versus .csv files is the sorting of the prices. If I filter for an item, and then tell Excel to sort by sale price A to Z, the Excel file doesn't appropriately sort. The CSV file brought into Excel does appropriately sort from cheapest to most expensive, both giving me the same number of filtered results. I believe it is because the XLSX file has the price stored as text, whereas the CSV automatically translates it to currency and would be an easy formatting change on the user's end for the Excel version.

I have not seen any real issues for the Excel file and I have been downloading it each day. But figured I would point this out in case other users encounter the same thing: just use the CSV file if you don't want to take the extra 45 seconds to format the field. :wink:

Thanks again!!

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:38 am

koepkemf21 wrote:one thing I noticed in the .xlsx versus .csv files is the sorting of the prices. If I filter for an item, and then tell Excel to sort by sale price A to Z, the Excel file doesn't appropriately sort. The CSV file brought into Excel does appropriately sort from cheapest to most expensive, both giving me the same number of filtered results. I believe it is because the XLSX file has the price stored as text, whereas the CSV automatically translates it to currency and would be an easy formatting change on the user's end for the Excel version.

I think that it might be because prices in the CSV file contain "$" dollar sign characters, making the sales price a text field rather than a number.

In the test Excel file, I manually stripped out the "$" dollar sign characters at the start of the price fields, so plain numbers don't get converted to text. I can have the script do it automatically in the future. However, stuff like "$64.99 - $69.99" will have to remain as text, so it might make sense to leave the dollar signs intact for those.

It is still nice to have the dollar sign characters In the text CSV file. It might be better to create two separate CSV files during the process, one for uploading as text and one to use when converting to Excel.

I also see now that I may want to manually edit the Excel files before uploading anyway, to make the spreadsheet prettier by adjusting column widths and formatting the price columns as Currency.

Edit: Removed test file. The Excel file price column formatting should be fixed from now on.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:02 pm

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Black Friday spreadsheet found on other sites? At least 6 different deals websites (hip2save, fabulessly frugal, mama cheaps, deals to coupons, utah sweet savings, the coupon challenge) have posted their own Black Friday spreadsheets. But it's all the same spreadsheet! The spreadsheets are all identical except for modified titles and affiliate links. (Additionally, someone stole the spreadsheet from one of the sites and posted it to slick deals.)

So, what is the deal with these other deals websites? Are they stealing the same spreadsheet from each other? Or, are they all secretly owned by the same parent company?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Shopper X wrote:Does anyone know what the deal is with the Black Friday spreadsheet found on other sites? At least 6 different deals websites (hip2save, fabulessly frugal, mama cheaps, deals to coupons, utah sweet savings, the coupon challenge) have posted their own Black Friday spreadsheets. But it's all the same spreadsheet! The spreadsheets are all identical except for modified titles and affiliate links. (Additionally, someone stole the spreadsheet from one of the sites and posted it to slick deals.)

So, what is the deal with these other deals websites? Are they stealing the same spreadsheet from each other? Or, are they all secretly owned by the same parent company?

They're probably all stealing from one another.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

shants2000
Black Friday Newbie

Postby shants2000 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:13 pm

Hello All,

Thank you so much for putting the excel together. I generally build dashboard every year based on this. This years dashboard is below:
https://public.tableau.com/profile/shan ... hbyKeyword

- You can view this on any device including mobile.
- But for best view and functionality view this on a laptop.
- There are total 3 views
- You can search by keyword
- You can filter by clicking category or using filters on top
- Click on the item so it opens the item and gives more information using BFADS website.

Don't forget to give your comments/pointers for improvement if any.

nynamyna
Black Friday Newbie

Postby nynamyna » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:32 pm

Interesting. I also build a dashboard every year and post here. Here is my version

https://public.tableau.com/profile/bhar ... ridayDeals

I have a separate thread below

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=35288

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:47 am

It appears that the dealscircle web site stole our spreadsheet. From the watermarks I put into the spreadsheet, I see that currently they stole the Nov. 20, 2018 version.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:59 am

Do they have a forum? Don't think I won't go call them out on it. :twisted:
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:05 am

No, I think that the site hosts only the spreadsheet, from what I can tell.

The dealscircle link was posted to:
https://www.reddit.com/r/blackfriday/comments/9zafjd/black_friday_2018_deals_and_master_list_updating/
https://www.reddit.com/r/blackfriday/wiki/2018

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”