Help Me Buy A Switch

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

SavannahSparkles
Black Friday Pro

Help Me Buy A Switch

Postby SavannahSparkles » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:16 pm

Don't worry, I don't want any monetary donations, just your expert opinions :)

I am picking up a Nintendo Switch this year. This is the highest value item I have ever bought in my 18-ish years of Black Friday shopping. I understand that GameStop is offering the best value of all the stores--the red/blue controller bundle with MarioKart Deluxe and a $50 gift card for $299.99.

THINGS I NEED HELP FIGURING OUT:

1. HOW EARLY would you suggest I arrive to wait in line? Stores open at 3 PM, and I normally show up to stores 2 hours early with no issues--but with this being the only store to offer the gift card as part of the bundle, I'm wondering if I should line up even earlier?

2. Their ad states that their sale starts online at 8 pm. What are the chances that the switch bundle with the gift card will be listed at $299 at that point? Also, has anyone ever tried to purchase something from their website right after the sale starts? I'm wondering if the site crashes as bad as WalMart?

3. The bundle + gift card is currently listed as available right now for $349.99. Should I just bite the bullet and buy now? Is that still a good value?

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts/comments/help!
The best I can give you is a fake smile and dead eyes.

It’s one thing not to want something; it’s another to be told you can’t have it.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: Help Me Buy A Switch

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:26 pm

SavannahSparkles wrote:Don't worry, I don't want any monetary donations, just your expert opinions :)

I am picking up a Nintendo Switch this year. This is the highest value item I have ever bought in my 18-ish years of Black Friday shopping. I understand that GameStop is offering the best value of all the stores--the red/blue controller bundle with MarioKart Deluxe and a $50 gift card for $299.99.

1. HOW EARLY would you suggest I arrive to wait in line? Stores open at 3 PM, and I normally show up to stores 2 hours early with no issues--but with this being the only store to offer the gift card as part of the bundle, I'm wondering if I should line up even earlier?

2. Their ad states that their sale starts online at 8 pm. What are the chances that the switch bundle with the gift card will be listed at $299 at that point? Also, has anyone ever tried to purchase something from their website right after the sale starts? I'm wondering if the site crashes as bad as WalMart?

3. The bundle + gift card is currently listed as available right now for $349.99. Should I just bite the bullet and buy now? Is that still a good value?

When they had it online Sunday I bought an Xbox and PS4 from there. I figured they would cancel the order since it was a popular item so I also purchased it from Best Buy. GS never cancelled the order and it has shipped and actually will be arriving today.

In the past when we use to go to the mall, GameStop always looked like a very popular place with huge lines. It may be different where you live. You may go 3-4 hours early, evaluate the lines, then come back depending on how many people are there.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Ryman
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Ryman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:16 pm

SavannahSparkles wrote:Don't worry, I don't want any monetary donations, just your expert opinions :)

The GameStop deal is the best deal for the Nintendo Switch this year (at least as far as I can tell). They're giving you a Nintendo game (which don't really go on sale all that often) and another game for $10 (usually games are $60, so minus the $50 gc. Or an accessory, or whatever . $50 is $50, man! :D)

Depending on where you live, you might see lots of people lined up or you might see only a few - it's hard to say. If you're in a big city like Los Angeles, maybe line up early. If you're living in the middle of nowhere, Nebraska, you could probably get there a few hours before. I live where there are lots of gamers, and I wouldn't be surprised if people are spending the night (I see people camped out in front of Best Buy each year, too). The Switch is a hot console and as you've probably noticed, it rarely goes on sale. So when it does people can get kind of crazy :shock:

I read somewhere online that the gift card with the Switch only starts on Thursday, but this is the internet. I would absolutely call the GS you plan to hit and confirm with them personally - it could even depend on the store itself (or the employee you speak to). They could also verify all your other questions too, since I think the wording is kind of vague on the ad. My plan (if for whatever reason I couldn't call GS and confirm) would probably be: prepare for it to go live at 9pm, just in case, then get to GS (again, how early depends on how many gamers are in your area, willing to forgo turkey for a deal on games lol), with the 349.99 console as my backup.

I would also say consider GS stores that aren't in malls or in big, popular areas... often the stores tucked away (freestanding) are the ones that people don't seem to pay much attention to (in my experience, your mileage may vary)

I've had their site crash on me before. I haven't been to Wal-Mart's site, but the GameStop one went down pretty hard. Be ready to refresh like crazy and have your cc ready :shock:

When I click on the 349.99 bundle on the GS site it takes me to a 404 page, so either it's broken or it isn't available yet, or maybe even sold out? (but I imagine it probably isn't active yet, otherwise what's the point of going there at 3pm?) That's still a solid deal if that's the one you end up with it!

SavannahSparkles
Black Friday Pro

Postby SavannahSparkles » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Ryman wrote:

The GameStop deal is the best deal for the Nintendo Switch this year (at least as far as I can tell). They're giving you a Nintendo game (which don't really go on sale all that often) and another game for $10 (usually games are $60, so minus the $50 gc. Or an accessory, or whatever . $50 is $50, man! :D)

Depending on where you live, you might see lots of people lined up or you might see only a few - it's hard to say. If you're in a big city like Los Angeles, maybe line up early. If you're living in the middle of nowhere, Nebraska, you could probably get there a few hours before. I live where there are lots of gamers, and I wouldn't be surprised if people are spending the night (I see people camped out in front of Best Buy each year, too). The Switch is a hot console and as you've probably noticed, it rarely goes on sale. So when it does people can get kind of crazy :shock:

I read somewhere online that the gift card with the Switch only starts on Thursday, but this is the internet. I would absolutely call the GS you plan to hit and confirm with them personally - it could even depend on the store itself (or the employee you speak to). They could also verify all your other questions too, since I think the wording is kind of vague on the ad. My plan (if for whatever reason I couldn't call GS and confirm) would probably be: prepare for it to go live at 9pm, just in case, then get to GS (again, how early depends on how many gamers are in your area, willing to forgo turkey for a deal on games lol), with the 349.99 console as my backup.

I would also say consider GS stores that aren't in malls or in big, popular areas... often the stores tucked away (freestanding) are the ones that people don't seem to pay much attention to (in my experience, your mileage may vary)

I've had their site crash on me before. I haven't been to Wal-Mart's site, but the GameStop one went down pretty hard. Be ready to refresh like crazy and have your cc ready :shock:

When I click on the 349.99 bundle on the GS site it takes me to a 404 page, so either it's broken or it isn't available yet, or maybe even sold out? (but I imagine it probably isn't active yet, otherwise what's the point of going there at 3pm?) That's still a solid deal if that's the one you end up with it!

I have added the Switch for $349.99 to my cart with no problems, but it says that it is a "pre-order", so I'm not sure when it would ship. Maybe after Black Friday? I halfway considered biting the bullet and doing this deal, but with so many other stores offering the Switch for $299 on Thursday, I think I will just try for those if I strike out at GameStop on the day of. I know that they will be missing the gift card, but I guess I could just live without it.

Honestly, best case scenario is the bundle being available on the website. I was really hoping it wasn't as jammed as WalMart's site (which is a total and complete nightmare), but hopefully if I wait a few hours it won't be as bad...and hopefully not sold out :(

Thankfully, I live in a town with multiple GameStop's and I plan on going to one that's not at the mall. I think I'll take Tek's advice, show up 4 hours early and evaluate the lines. I was a bit worried about overnight campers too, but again--I guess I could just strike out and either try a different GameStop or go to a different store.

Also, I will call the GameStop I'm going to and see how many Switch's they will be getting in stock. Thanks for all the tips guys!
The best I can give you is a fake smile and dead eyes.

It’s one thing not to want something; it’s another to be told you can’t have it.

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:07 am

Yes, I would not go for the $349 and gift card. That's $299 for the console and $50 in gift card (same as cash) so it doesn't really save you cash. Truthfully, if you miss this one, you're better off going to Target and picking one up with a Red Card and saving 5%.

Return to “Off Topic”