Tipping on 2-go orders

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

lovemesomebargins
Black Friday Pro

Tipping on 2-go orders

Postby lovemesomebargins » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:51 pm

Had me some Texas Roadhouse tonight and wondered what everyone else's take are on tipping on to-go orders? When we eat in, we always tip generously. I'm not sure whether to tip when we pick up at places like TR. What do you think?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: Tipping on 2-go orders

Postby teknoge3k » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:31 pm

lovemesomebargins wrote:Had me some Texas Roadhouse tonight and wondered what everyone else's take are on tipping on to-go orders? When we eat in, we always tip generously. I'm not sure whether to tip when we pick up at places like TR. What do you think?

I usually tip a dollar and round up my change. Not much goes into that aside from packing up the order and giving it to you. It's not like they give you the service as an in-house server does.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:45 pm

^^^^^ What Tek said. We frequently get Red Robin and AppleBee's curbside and this is exactly what we do as well. I may tip a little more if it's someone I know though, or if it's the holiday season.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:07 pm

I usually tip 10% on takeout orders, rounding up. (Usually $2.) Preparing/packaging takeout orders does take some time and, depending on how the restaurant is run, can take the wait staff away from their other duties.

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:34 pm

So, let me get this straight, you guys actually tip McDonald's employees?

I'll tip if I'm eating in but for take out, no, I don't tip. An exception to this, I do slip the car hops at Sonic a buck or two depending on service, but I don't eat there much to really think about it.

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:20 pm

cinemike16 wrote:So, let me get this straight, you guys actually tip McDonald's employees?

Nope, not McDonald's. Just places that do curbside delivery like Red Robin, AppleBee's, etc. The places that are not considered fast food persay where you call in your order and they deliver it right to your car. We don't have any Sonics in our area, but when we stop there when we're on our way to the shore or something, we always give the carhop at least $2 for a tip. Same as our local fish place that is almost like a Sonic, we tip our waitress.

When I was much younger, I used to work in the service industry, and knowing what it's like, I always make sure I tip well unless the service is awful. I don't know how it is in other states, but in PA, most wait staff only make $2.83/hr and have to claim a certain percentage of their sales in tips. If you get stiffed on a larger table, that's money out of your own pocket and can screw up your entire paycheck. I would feel very guilty about not leaving a tip at all, knowing I could be taking food out of the mouth of a single mom's child or food money from a broke college kid.

So let me ask ya'll this - Do you tip your delivery people? Like the pizza guy and whatnot? Just curious.

lovemesomebargins
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovemesomebargins » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:52 pm

I wondered if the people working the to-go services get paid like waiters/waitress or if they are paid a regular wage and tips are extra? Maybe I should ask next time I go :?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:12 pm

carmenslackey wrote:
So let me ask ya'll this - Do you tip your delivery people? Like the pizza guy and whatnot? Just curious.

Delivery people typically get about $5 from me.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

hiker
Official Zipper

Postby hiker » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:15 pm

For me, it depends on what I'm ordering. A lot of places, if you order a salad, the hostess (or person taking the order) is the one that prepares it. Same with desserts. Then they also need to verify the order, add in any extras (silverware, dressing, etc..). So usually I tip a minimum of $2. (I don't tip fast food... actually I don't eat fast food..)

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:34 pm

I've never had a Togo order delivered to my car so if I stop in somewhere and place an order to go I don't tip.
I get to go at Olive Garden a lot for lunch at work. I have to go in there to get it so I don't tip.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:00 am

cinemike16 wrote:So, let me get this straight, you guys actually tip McDonald's employees?

No. I think it was implied that the question was about to-go orders from restaurants where the majority of customers dine in and where the wait staff customarily receive tips from dine-in customers. At least, that's the question I answered.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:44 am

I think the restaurants that have to-go service delivered to your car don't use their general waitstaff to do the delivering. Any restaurant I've been to that had that service and I was actually in the restaurant dining in I always notice specific people who were stationed by the to-go door.

And if you call in a to-go order from a sit-down restaurant that doesn't offer delivery service to the car, the to-go orders are generally handled through the bar area/bar tender.

A waiter/waitress is tipped because they take care of you while you are dining. They bring your food to you in a timely manner and make sure it's correct, they fill your drinks and come by and check on you. A quick 5 sec trip to someone's car does none of that so I don't see how they should expect a tip.

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:44 pm

Sitting in a restaurant I tip pretty well (18-20%), unless it is crappy service, then they will get the lower end of the tip (10-12%). But, I always tip. I don't do drive-thru anymore but I never tipped there and would never tip there. The team does the food. When ordering to go from a restraunt, I will add $2-$5 dollars for their time ensuring it is packed and correct (I check before I leave or have them go through it with me). Delivery to the house (don't do that anymore either) I will tip $2-$5 depends on how big the order is.

I have to have gluten free so, I feel any person handling my food that ensures I eat safe, deserves a good tip so they know I appreciate the care they took. Mess it up though, and I will not tip them well. I cannot risk my health.

live in CA and min wage will be $15 hour in the next few years. They do have to claim their tips as well.
It just isn't Black Friday when it is Thursday.......

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:14 pm

hadn't really thought of it before

hiker
Official Zipper

Postby hiker » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:22 pm

tinytim35 wrote:hadn't really thought of it before

And now that you've thought about it, what do u think? :) :)

Return to “Off Topic”