Share your Black Friday 2016 experience

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Share your Black Friday 2016 experience

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Since a lot of the sales have already started online, share your experience this year. Where did you shop? What did you get? Did all of your online orders arrive on-time? Did you miss out on anything you really wanted? Let us know!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Re: Share your Black Friday 2016 experience

Postby iKitsune » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:49 am

At work, we've already had someone pull a gun on a cashier demanding a BF TV that has a POS sales restriction on it. Does that count?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:47 am

iKitsune wrote:At work, we've already had someone pull a gun on a cashier demanding a BF TV that has a POS sales restriction on it. Does that count?

Holy cow are you serious? That's crazy!!

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

angelmse
Black Friday Pro

Postby angelmse » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:03 pm

iKitsune wrote:At work, we've already had someone pull a gun on a cashier demanding a BF TV that has a POS sales restriction on it. Does that count?

OMG that's nuts!

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:26 pm

Tuesday, I bought everything I wanted from Kohls. It's all been shipped.

This morning I went to Tractor Supply. I wanted the ratchet straps and chicken coop. I did not see any of the ratchet straps, and I bought the ONLY chicken coop they had. But at least I got it. :)

I came home and ordered the drone I wanted from Belk. I have 2, not sure why I needed a third but it looked nice. So, I bought it. I then went ahead and bought the pizza oven from Shopko.

I went to Walgreens to get the laundry detergent but then realized I misread the ad and their sale changed this year. It's always been B1G2F but now it's B1G1 so I skipped that. Now I am going to clean the house and get ready for an early bedtime tonight so I can get up tomorrow and enjoy the big day.

IT'S BLACK FRIDAY EVE Y'ALL!!!!

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

nippythedog
Black Friday Pro

Postby nippythedog » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:52 am

Just ordered everything we wanted from Target and Walmart online. All done! Easy peazy! Have a Happy Thanksgiving/BF everyone!

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Postby iKitsune » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:18 am

Ran in Walmart about 10 PM to see what was kicking. Half-empty parking lot when I got there, and no lines anywhere. Most of the doorbusters were still there, and I got one of the $99 Shanzhai Windows 10 tablets readily. Staff was standing around looking bored. Is this the end of Black Friday?

SantaShopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby SantaShopper » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:54 am

Just hit Kohls and got my Big one throws and some other little gifts for my Kohls cash. Walmart was and Target were pretty dead, but got what I needed. Toys R Us was very lively...everyone looking for hatchimals. Macy's barely had a soul. Going back out when more stores reopen. Doing good so far!

Giraffe34
Black Friday Pro

Postby Giraffe34 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:34 am

My Black Friday went pretty well; shopped online and went to stores. I shopped online at 11 pm (12 Eastern) for the Walmart Black Friday deals.

Walmart.com I got:

Nintendo 3DS Mario edition in white $99
Battery powered scooter $69
Mickey mouse tent, pillow, sleeping bag set $22
LG Bluetooth wireless headphones $29

Walmart in store:

Hatchimal $48.88- Waited close to 4 hours to get this because I usually get to the store pretty early- they had only 16 in stock.
Skullcandy wireless bluetooth headphones $25
Virtual reality head set $10
Ladies fleece pajama pants $4.50
Pie face game $8.88
Mickey MeReader book set $14.00
TMNT pajamas and slippers both $4.75
Sweater for hubby $11.86
Sheet set $25

Target.com:

Sharper Image sound machine $19.99

Target in store:

Razor 2-wheel scooter pink $18
Shopkins toy $9.99
X-shot Dart gun $9.99
Extra darts for gun $4.99
Pokeman puzzle tin $3.99
Sonicare electric toothbrush pink $34.99 but with $10 off now coupon $24.99
Disney I Found It! game $9.99

Home Depot Friday morning in store:

North Pole Express Train $29.98
2 set gorilla ladders $9.98
4 poinsettas @ .99 cents $3.96
22" Christmas wreath $6.88
Last edited by Giraffe34 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:52 am

iKitsune wrote:Ran in Walmart about 10 PM to see what was kicking. Half-empty parking lot when I got there, and no lines anywhere. Most of the doorbusters were still there, and I got one of the $99 Shanzhai Windows 10 tablets readily. Staff was standing around looking bored. Is this the end of Black Friday?

Same at our Walmart also. We went to Gander Mountain and Walmart ( right next to eachother) around 9 and although it looked kinda busy outside; it was not much going on inside. Must have been all the employees cars.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:10 pm

My BF started earlier this week when TRU, Kohls and Target deals went online. I found the zoomer kitty and miposaur at amazon cheaper. I hadnt thought of Target but on wednesday they had their trees for 50% so I got there as soon as they opened and got 2 trees for $13.50 each, lights and stuff.
Thanksgiving morning I went to meijers on my way home from work at 6am and it was packed. Walls of people with tvs in their carts and a few tv crew filming all of it. I had got 3 dvds in the 3 and 5 buck bin. It was so crowded and rows so narrow I didn't venture looking for anything else. The grocery side was dead which was fine for me. Grabbed a few things I had forgot and went home.
I went to JCP at 3 and lines to get in were wrapped everywhere. I was bummed that they wouldn't give a card to my oldest dd but oh well. Got the $10 off. Still spent $240 bucks but saved over 400. Got 20 tops for kiddos, me an ugly sweater, outfit for my neice and nephews and some cute fuzzy slippers.
I shopped online at BestBuy and got 2 32" tvs for 99. ( had to do 2 seperate transactions)
I am kicking my self in the head bc at Walmart when we went there around 9 had plenty of the 40" hisense for 125. The one I got was a samsung so not too mad bc I have never owned the later. Walmart was not overly crowded and still plenty of stuff everywhere. I bought left for dead 2 for 8 bucks and an extra controller. I was in and out in no time.
We went to the mall to go to d1cks and it was a mad house. They were not bad in store so I am guessing everyone was inside the mall. We went just to kinda browse around. We are trying to find some frog toggs on sale ( hubs and boys do alot of camping) but no luck there.
I had only one hour of sleep yesterday after leaving work and sadly fell asleep on the couch (the colts getting beat up lulled me to sleep LOL)

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:47 pm

Our Black Friday was a complete success.

Wednesday I got the $220 chicken coop from Tractor Supply. They only had 1 of these!!

As previously mentioned, I went to Walgreens to snag some cookies, Ritz crackers, Ghiradeli chocolate bars, and Dr. Peppers.
Then I went to Dollar General and got some more Dr. Pepper and a year worth of Xbox Live cards. Also picked up $100 worth of Chili's gift cards since we eat there often.

I came home and checked on my online orders from Bon-Ton, Kohl's, Belk, Shopko, JC Penney, Target and Office Depot. Then laid around and watched TV for a little bit.

At 2, I headed to Walmart. I had my buggy loaded by 3:30 with the HP Laptop (red) with mouse and case, 4 of the flannel shirts, 8 flash drives, several movies and games, a basketball, a football, Nintendo 3DS and a hoodie. Oh, and some Twizzlers.

Sat at the front of the makeshift isle until 5:45 then checked out. Picked up my wife and we headed north.

Went to Big Lots first so she could get that mirror armoire they had for $200 or something like that.

Next we went to Macy's so I could get some Tommy Hilfiger t-shirts and boxers since they were on sale.

From there I went to JC Penney where she bought some clothes. I had bought all of my stuff online already.

Next, we went to Michael's so she could get some craft stuff. Then we hit another JC Penney so she could find another piece of clothing the first one didn't have.

After that, we went to Kmart to get some sheets and a few other things. After KMart we went to get some food. After we ate, we went to Kohls because she wanted to look at something. She ended up having about 10 things that we didn't get online, but the line was to the back of the store. So, we went to the kiosk and ordered the stuff there.

After that, we came home and got some sleep. We got home around 12:30. We left to go back out at 4. We went to A.C. Moore where she could get some more craft stuff.

After A.C. Moore, we went to Bath & Body Works and got the tote and a ton of smelly stuff. Then we went to Gamestop to get some games to go with the 3DS. Ended up spending a couple hundred dollars in there which we hadn't planned.

After A.C. Moore, we went to Staples to get some toilet paper.
Then we hit Target just to see what they had. I had about 6 movies I wanted but didn't think they would have them. They did!! We bought the movies and a few XBox One games for my oldest.

Then, we went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast, then headed back south.

Once we got back to our town, we went to Olympia Sports so I could get some socks since they were B1G150%. Then we went to Lowe's to pick up my order I placed yesterday for 2 sets of those headphones. After Lowe's, we went and got gas and came home. Unpacked everything and she shopped for more stuff online.

This was a very successful Black Friday and I can't wait until next year!!!!!

The crowds were very minimal, no action, no drama, everyone was great. Perfect weather and no complaints. Great BF for the books.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:50 pm

I went out late (10 pm) Thanksgiving evening, to Target and the mall. By then, there were no lines in Target, except for mobile phone sales. Target seemed to be cleaned out of their stock Apple products. The mall was somewhat crowded. I went to Sears and noticed that their electronics section has been greatly reduced in size.

I went out late (9:30 am) Black Friday morning to Costco to look at coffee makers. At Costco I bought a discounted turkey. 16.02 pounds at $0.99 a pound = 15.86, minus $10 discount = $5.86 for a 16-pound turkey. Now, I just have to figure out how I'm going to portion/freeze/use it all. I then visited: Dollar Tree to pick up a few items. Walmart to look at coffee makers (there were still many doorbuster items available). Harbor Freight to look at tape measures, Target again (a different Target) where I bought Pride and Prejudice on Blu-ray (the 1995 Ehle/Firth BBC miniseries version, for just $5) and an Apple TV. I then went home. I might go out later again this evening. I have a 60% off coupon for A.C. Moore, thought I'm not sure if I really need anything there.

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfshoppermom » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:03 pm

I shopped online but only really bought one thing. Then girls and I went to jcp to hit the doors for coupons (yes we go to more than one door - most do) and then used those coupons. We had about 10 coupons when we were done (we always end up with some off the ground because people won't stand in the ridiculously long lines when they want to go to Target/Walmart. They just popped in to try for the big ones. We didn't have anywhere to rush to be so we waiting for things to thin out and made all those transactions. Averaged $3 out of pocket per item that we bought so that was great. we scavenged Target and Walmart. Found the $19 TV mount still at Walmart so got that since my son wants to mount a TV for gaming. Also got some movies and games. Then home. This morning we went to local thrift store that was doing 75% off. My daughter found book to Wicked and we got Apples to Apples to go and a couple other small things. Nothing too exciting.

My middle one wants outdoor roller skates (she is a teen) so now I have to figure out how to get decent quality for those in budget. My son is getting a long board skateboard (he didn't ask but he needs to go outside too) so the skates would be perfect for two of them to go out together.

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:06 am

Time for my yearly novel....

This year, our Wednesday night turkey dinner ran super late, so I skipped my morning routine of hitting Kmart, Dollar General and CVS since I was far too tired to drive. So I ended up leaving for my Walmart shopping trek an hour earlier than usual so I could stop by Kmart and see if they had anything left. The only things I wanted there were the $3.98 storage totes since we're getting ready to move, and the $9.99 comforter sets. Priority one was the totes, so I looked around the store and finally found some. I got the last 5 without cracks in them, so that's a start. Checked out the comforter sets on the way to the registers and there weren't any in any colors I liked, so to the checkout it was and out the door.

Next, since Kmart was such a quick trip, I went to the Dollar General. They were picked clean of all the things I had on my list, so big ole goose egg there. :(

Then, to Walmart. I got there way earlier than I wanted to, so they were still setting up pallets and stuff. Got myself a map and walked around the store several times, each time noting where things on my list were, how many there were and prioritizing where I was going to camp out to wait for the sale to start. Decided it would be a good thing to camp out near the thumb drives and earphones (which were right next to each other) since I needed multiples of each and there weren't a whole lot of them in the little boxes. I made friends with the people around me, as always, and there was a couple there to get a printer and a pallet TV who were keeping us all informed on what was happening. Last year, we weren't allowed to touch anything until 6pm. This year, they lost control of everyone around 5:20pm. Grabbed my small electronics and swapped with the people around me for other things I needed, then took off to grab everything else on my list. There was a ginormous line for the towels, which were locked in like it was Fort Knox, so skipped over those for the time being. Got down to the kitchen and home stuff and had to have another customer, a burly looking guy, put my dish set into my cart for me since I couldn't lift it. In return, I grabbed him one each of the Rubbermaid containers, thanked him, then went on my merry little way. After I got absolutely everything but the towels, I ended up getting trapped in the bottlenecked cluster that was to be the checkout line. Finally made my way through to get back to the towels, got what I needed and tried to find the end of one of the at least 8 lines that were clustering up the whole rear of the store. The checkout line was a nightmare. They had ONE entrance to get to the checkout lanes and had everything else blocked off with the displays that are normally back around electronics and the cleaning section. If you got stuck, you were literally stuck with no way out. It was terrible. I finally made my way to the end of one of the 2 main lines that headed for the single file checkout line, and it only took about 15 minutes from the back of that line to get through to the aisled checkout lines, then only another 10 minutes to get to a checkout. Checked out at nearly 6:45pm, which is the longest I have ever been in any Walmart after the sale started. Ever. Hopefully, they get their act together next year because the checkout process was absolutely awful.

After that debacle, it was Target time. Got there around 7pm, got a great parking spot and a cart right out of the corral, then did a good deed for the day. As I was pushing the cart into the store, I noticed there was a bag in it with someone's purchases. I returned it to the customer service desk as soon as I walked in. Hopefully those people got their stuff back. Then it was off to look for the Blu Ray players. There were only 2 of the Samsungs left, but a stack of the Sonys, so I opted to pay $2 more for the Sony since I've had really crappy luck with the Samsungs. Then it was off to look at the movies and TV shows. Usually, our Target is super organized on BF and follows their map locations to a T, but not this year. The sales DVDs were scattered between where they were supposed to be according to the map (little girls' clothing) and the actual movie section of the store. It took some time, but I eventually found all the movies on my list. Then it was off in search of the towels, which were supposed to be in the produce section with some other bed and bath items, but there was nothing there at all, not even an empty bin. Confused, I headed back to seasonal, where I found a ton of the bedroom type things, but no towels. So as I headed to the checkout, I happened to spy 3 yellow towels sitting on top of a few leftover toys by electronics. I wasn't sure that they were the right ones since they were thicker and fluffier than the ones I bought last year, so I found a price checker and indeed they were the $2 towels! Score for me! Then I headed to the checkout line, which only took about 15 minutes to get through, then out the door after a quick potty break and off to the next store.

I got to Boscov's with time to kill until I headed back to search through the leftover DVDs and games at Walmart. I looked through a ton of stuff there at Boscov's and found a ton of things for super super cheap prices. I only spent $45 there and walked out with 2 incredibly huge bags full of stuff!

After wasting about an hour or so in Boscov's, I headed back over to Walmart, which was still semi-kicking at 9:30pm. I scored some poop emoji PJs for myself that I didn't see when I was in earlier, a ton of cheap DVDs and BRs, Pikmin 3 for the Wii U (which I was sure would be sold out due to its popularity in my area) and 3 more gray bath towels since they actually had some left. I also could have waltzed out of there with any number of their front page wristbanded TVs if I had needed one since they had pallets left. Another thing they had a ton of were the Rubbermaid sets, which is shocking since they usually sell out of those. I missed out on the last of the double pack dump truck toys for $20 though. I think my great nephew probably won't miss it all that much since he's only 18 months old. :lol:

Then it was off to Five Below and Best Buy. I'm kinda ticked at 5B for what I think is sort of false advertising. As I was walking through the checkout, I was checking out all the stocking stuffer candy they had laid out on the table there. Amongst the $1-$2 candy stuff I found some jelly belly jelly beans that I thought my boys would get a kick out of. I couldn't find a price on it, but I assumed it was probably $2 since all the candy around that stack was $2. I got home and checked my receipt, thinking they had charged me regular price for the giant hershey kisses, only to find out that those boxes of jelly beans were $5 each! That's highway robbery for a few jelly beans!

I got home around 11pm. Took me an hour to separate out all of the bags, then I decided I wanted to leave them in the car overnight since my only stop in the AM was going to be B&BW. Got inside my house, got something to eat, then decided I was going to wait up for my hubby to get home from work. Big mistake. He's usually home around 12:30am on Thanksgiving, but he didn't get home until almost 2am. By that time, I was so totally exhausted that I knew I wasn't making it back out for the 6am sales. So I decided to order all of my Bath & Bodyworks stuff online, something I've never done before. I got 2 emails from them after I placed my order; one to say they received it, and another that confirmed the order, so I hope that means my order will be shipping soon. If not, I'll be pretty miffed.

All in all, it was a great BF for me. I got 95% of what was on my list, even after getting delayed by Walmart's crappy checkout lines, so I would say I did fairly well. I think in-store BF is slowly ending though. The crowds were thinner and milder this year as compared to years past. There were no fist fights, no people screaming and yelling. Just calmness. Even with the WM checkout lines. No pushing or shoving or anything. What there was more of though was children. Whole families with small children everywhere you looked. I'm really surprised that someone's kids didn't get trampled in the chaos of the sale openings. I know that wouldn't be me. I'd hire a babysitter instead of risking my child's injury or death. :roll:

Hope you all had a great BF as well!! :D

Return to “Rants and Raves”