Official Countdown to Black Friday 2015 Thread!

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, hiker, lwmjr, ikey2

shrcpark
Black Friday Pro

Re: Official Countdown to Black Friday 2015 Thread!

Postby shrcpark » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:15 pm

Getting an earlier start on the BF planning this year...Got my list started:
- PS4 for brother's family (a bit more than I usually spend on them but he told me not to get them any more Legos or Nerf toys lol)
- Laptop for wife since apparently the new desktop we just got isn't good enough
- New TV for my parents since their 20+ year old CRT TV is finally dying
- OBDII code scanner for a friend of mine (looking at Craftsman for this, since the Innova crap sold at auto parts stores are junk)
- Looking for some motor oil deals for the shop, I know PEPBOYS usually has a decent MIR deal on oil and filters...may have to work in that store Friday sometime

Not sure how I'm going to swing BF shopping if stores start in the middle of the day on Thursday again. Looking at my calendar for that week, I'm working a 12 hour shift(triple holiday pay!!) then I volunteered to serve turkey dinner to the community at the firehouse that evening which I signed up for last year and almost forgot about. On top of that, my wife is going south with her cousin that week so I'm going to have the kid...so I'm trying to figure out how I can keep her busy that day without having to hire a babysitter --any suggestions?[/quote]

My suggestions to keep "the kid" busy:
Serve the turkey dinner with you and clean up after the meal. She will cherish this memory.
Is there any crafts/projects she likes to keep herself busy with at home? Rainbow loom? Making bracelets?
How about purchasing a rainbow loom and some silly bands at AC Moore or Michael's and make bracelets or keychains for the firemen while you serve dinner?
Purchase a jigsaw puzzle and invite the other kids from the community center to piece the puzzle together. Puzzles can be purchased at the dollar store or dollar spot at Target.[/quote]
She'll help serve the dinner - she likes helping others, so she'll undoubtedly volunteer to help out. My issue is finding her something to do while I'm working during the day, 12 hours is a bit much for her to just sit in the break room. The puzzle idea sounds good, she'll likely have her mom's laptop and some DVDs to keep her busy...My other option would be to drop her off at my parents' house for the day, but they're going to be so busy with their own festivities that I don't want to burden them. My supervisor has already told me that if she looks bored he'll put her to work cleaning up the building haha, I'm sure he was joking but hey, it'll keep her occupied.[/quote]

Can she run some errands like get everyone coffee or lunch at a local store? Can she walk around outside, collect leaves and make a collage with mod podge (found at AC Moore/Michaels)? Can she read or do extra credit homework? Can she take a tour of your workplace and see what you actually do? Can she be with spend 1/2 the day with your parents and the other half with you at work? Maybe pick her up during your lunch break?

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Postby iamkristen » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:32 pm

Heeeeellllloooooo Everyone!!!

What a year I've had. Glad to be back. My favorite time of year is here, and this time, I'm celebrating a Florida fall! What have I missed?

ikey2
Forum Moderator

Postby ikey2 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:17 pm

Having so munch fun today and all weekend long watching QVC Christmas sales.
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

LarandaW
Black Friday Pro

Postby LarandaW » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:52 pm

ikey2 wrote:Having so munch fun today and all weekend long watching QVC Christmas sales.

OMG we are 2 peas in a TN Pod...LOL I started watching at 4am today :D

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas"..............among my Halloween stuff but hey anything holiday will do!!!!

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:23 pm

closer & closer it creeps.....................

ikey2
Forum Moderator

Postby ikey2 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:13 pm

LarandaW wrote:
ikey2 wrote:Having so munch fun today and all weekend long watching QVC Christmas sales.

OMG we are 2 peas in a TN Pod...LOL I started watching at 4am today :D

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas"..............among my Halloween stuff but hey anything holiday will do!!!!

Lol, yes we are im a geek for anything christmas
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:11 am

Damn with 3 months to go before Christmas, I'd say a good 90% of my shopping is already done. This is the earliest I've ever started preparing for the holidays in years. I guess I better slow down so I can have a reason to go out on BF :lol:

Biggest gift was paid for back in July, and that's a trip to Disney World over Christmas break for the wife and kid.

LarandaW
Black Friday Pro

Postby LarandaW » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:45 pm

cinemike16 wrote:Damn with 3 months to go before Christmas, I'd say a good 90% of my shopping is already done. This is the earliest I've ever started preparing for the holidays in years. I guess I better slow down so I can have a reason to go out on BF :lol:

Biggest gift was paid for back in July, and that's a trip to Disney World over Christmas break for the wife and kid.

OMG how sweet!!!!!! So I'm very nosy!-- How will you give them the gift of Disney being that it's a trip "over Christmas" will it be an after Christmas trip so that they open the surprise Christmas morning or a through Christmas trip? Just asking because wouldn't it be fun to leave little hints along the way say after BF maybe weekly a clue or scavenger hunt type of deal? Then again if it's from Santa that wouldn't work.....LOL (sorry I get so excited over anything anyone does)

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:35 pm

LarandaW wrote:
cinemike16 wrote:Damn with 3 months to go before Christmas, I'd say a good 90% of my shopping is already done. This is the earliest I've ever started preparing for the holidays in years. I guess I better slow down so I can have a reason to go out on BF :lol:

OMG how sweet!!!!!! So I'm very nosy!-- How will you give them the gift of Disney being that it's a trip "over Christmas" will it be an after Christmas trip so that they open the surprise Christmas morning or a through Christmas trip? Just asking because wouldn't it be fun to leave little hints along the way say after BF maybe weekly a clue or scavenger hunt type of deal? Then again if it's from Santa that wouldn't work.....LOL (sorry I get so excited over anything anyone does)

They're flying out Christmas morning and will return January 2nd. They know of the trip, but they don't know any details yet. I'm thinking about wrapping up the plane/park passes, itinerary and some memory cards for her camera in a box to watch them open before they take off. We were supposed to take the trip as a family last year, but after my wife's miscarriage our house was a mess, we couldn't make the 40 mile trip to my parents' house for dinner so there was no way we were going ~2000 miles to Orlando. My daughter was crushed, so I had made a promise to her that she'd see Mickey and friends in 2015. At the time I figured I'd be self-employed and could take the time off to go with them, then one thing after another forced me to find another job. Since I just started I won't have any paid vacation time for the first year, and if I took a week unpaid leave off there's no guarantee my job would still be here when I got back I decided to make it a Christmas gift to the two of them, and we'd make the family trip (by car so we can make other touristy stops along the way) later on.

LarandaW
Black Friday Pro

Postby LarandaW » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:56 pm

Hugs to you friend for such a difficult year and for the ability to put them first. How selfless!!!!
well since they know but don't know give them a printed picture weekly as a clue (just an idea something I'd do but please don't take me for being bossy :) )
example -- small Earth (small world)
-- apple (snow white)
-- skunk (Bambi)
-- last one before gift a mouse trap LOLOL :lol:

I just notice you really embrace the holidays like I do and I've done this before with my boys.

shrcpark
Black Friday Pro

Postby shrcpark » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:05 pm

Psst...... Is it Black Friday yet?

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:24 pm

Almost OCTOBER 1st, any first leaked ad predictions yet? Harbor Freight is always one of the first IIRC and if I'm not mistaken they still have traditional BF hours(5am Friday?) correct? Although for the most part the "sales" tend to not be any thing special then their regular offerings

lwmjr
Forum Moderator

Postby lwmjr » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:57 pm

BREAKING NEWS :lol:

Black friday is next month

Welcome to October
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

ikey2
Forum Moderator

Postby ikey2 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:43 am

Been a great couple of days here in Southern TN. We have been in the low 70 to mid 60's with drizzle, rain, and misty grey days. This is my favorite time of the year love when it is all grey and dreary it makes all the colors pop even more than when it just bright and sunny.
Hester, Pat

Andy Rooney

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:58 am

lwmjr wrote:BREAKING NEWS :lol:

Black friday is next month

Welcome to October

I WANT IT NOW!!!!

Return to “Off Topic”