Face it, Black Friday is Dead!

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

raymacfla
Black Friday Pro

Re: Face it, Black Friday is Dead!

Postby raymacfla » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:51 pm

bfaddict wrote:If people were worried about missing the sales then they would have come out in the middle of the night or early friday morning. So seeing as how sales have increased with the earlier sale times, it's likely not for that reason.

Earlier times allow for MORE people to come out. A lot more people have thanksgiving off than the friday after.

And you hit the nail on the head. People are really lamenting the influx of shoppers who traditionally have never been able or willing to shop before.

Staying up all night was a badge of honor and not easy to do, especially in cold weather. We fondly remember those times. I can deal with the change, but not the sudden hate from those who feel that campers are now to blame for the thanksgiving sales.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:55 pm

The ONLY thing that I don't like about the sale times this year, is that EVERYTHING opens at 6. This makes it hard because with staggered times, I could get to each place before they opened. Now when I get to each place, they'll already have been open for a while and I risk missing out on items I am going for. I have never ever not gotten anything on my list and I don't intend on this year being any different. It's just going to make it more challenging.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

franjesca
Black Friday Pro

Postby franjesca » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:09 pm

I miss the spending thanksgiving with my family, going over ads while eating pie, going through our lists, maybe catching a few hours sleep before we head out to wait in line around 2 am, coffee thermos in hand. It was the thrill and the fun of it, even if it was just to get the $10 plush Dora doll. Its all different now. I haven't been able to actually go out and do black Friday shopping in a few years cuz of kids and schedules and now that I can with the new sales times, I have to admit, its just not the same for me now. :( Ill still try to get the best deals, with 5 kids that's the whole point of black Friday, but it sure wont be as much fun now. Especially with a lot of the things I want going live in the stores right about when we sit down to dessert. :(

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:10 am

Give it a few more years and the "changes" in times, sales, price matching, pre-sales will all work itself out.. then it will all fade away into a general "November sale".

The term door-buster has been overused.. I see them in weekly ads now all year.
You can pre-buy doorbusters online
Stores are price matching other stores' door busters if they have them in stock
Everyone is opening 6pm on Thursday now

The novelty is gone I think.

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:03 am

blue3715 wrote:Give it a few more years and the "changes" in times, sales, price matching, pre-sales will all work itself out.. then it will all fade away into a general "November sale".

The term door-buster has been overused.. I see them in weekly ads now all year.
You can pre-buy doorbusters online
Stores are price matching other stores' door busters if they have them in stock
Everyone is opening 6pm on Thursday now

The novelty is gone I think.

Rinse - repeat... all of the stores are trying to one up themselves.. they are putting all of their sales online now... basically pushing cyber Monday to today.. I'm sure a few juicy items are being held till CM, but all of the hype of going out at 6pm on BF to get the doorbuster's have been dumped as you can do all of the BF shopping now (Target, Kohls, etc).

Bonus for the shopper, boo for the BF stalwart.

saladdays
Black Friday Pro

Postby saladdays » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:56 pm

I usually find really good deals online after Black Friday, and really have been the last couple of years. I never was a big BF shopper anyway, but I tend to not go out and do much of anything on actual BF anymore.

midmofan
Black Friday Pro

Postby midmofan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:53 pm

My post from 2013...

So, what do I think will happen next year? I think that the end of BF as we all knew it has pretty much happened (as, I must say, I predicted a couple months ago...). The sales will be even more spread out, the online buying will be easier, and the doorbusters will not be the amazing can't miss deals they once were. Doorbuster used to be limited loss-leader type items that were to get you into the store so you spent $$ on higher margin items as well. That is not the case anymore for the most part. We got too good at cherry-picking the good items and either going to the next store with the internet chart in-hand or having split up purchases with friends so we all got the super deals and passed on the rest. This is even easier to do with the day and times spread out so it does not make sense for the stores to offer items that they lose money on when its not helping the bottom line. Face it, WE helped cause the death of Black Friday

In other words, if EVERYTHING is a "doorbuster" than nothing is a "doorbuster." And if everybody gets one of an item no matter how many people show up (walmart), that's not really a doorbuster, its just a price. Best Buy is apparently having items especially manufactured for BF (just like the "outlet" mall stores have items especially made for the outlet stores) and even on the good deals this year, I saw very few items that made my head spin. In the past I got TVs, cameras and laptops that I know the store lost or made no money on (yup you can find that info if you look hard enough) but nothing seemed that way this year. And what was there that was a worthwile purchase was often available online with free shipping and sometimes no sales tax!

So sites like this will still be important to find the best deals, but its not going to be the same. I doubt I will ever have to again set my alarm for the middle of the night, watch my wife shake her head and roll over, then go to wait in a freezing parking lot with a thermos of hot chocolate, arm full of ads and meeting new people.

Something lost and something gained....

Proving pretty accurate so far...

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:10 pm

I have felt this way the last few years. I scanned the ads this year and nothing popped out at me. Could be me, could be the stores, who knows. I will probably go out tomorrow for a bit, it is just my husband and I at home, and there are a few things I would buy but by no means will I wait in line for them!

I have already gotten some great deals in the last month, some better than what I am seeing in the ads. :wink:

newkirk32
Black Friday Pro

Postby newkirk32 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:21 pm

I'd have to say so, went to one best buy, around 4pm, 3 people in line, went to the other, and no one in line. Just a few years ago, there would be at least 20 people in line 2+ days before Black Friday. Deals just aren't as good anymore. Kinda sad!

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:00 am

newkirk32 wrote:I'd have to say so, went to one best buy, around 4pm, 3 people in line, went to the other, and no one in line. Just a few years ago, there would be at least 20 people in line 2+ days before Black Friday. Deals just aren't as good anymore. Kinda sad!

This is from the 11 O'clock news tonight, they reported six people in line.
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:38 am

Good thing you are down south in the "warm" area! It is supposed to be below zero tonight here in MN. Nothing in the ads are worth waiting in my weather for!!!

jamizer
Black Friday Pro

Postby jamizer » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:26 am

Checked my local Best Buy tonight around midnight. Two tents...maybe 4 people there. Something tells me it is going to be a bad year for the brick and mortar stores which are left. Online shopping is where it is at. Sure there will be the hoards at Walmart, but the real savvy buyer knows there are better deals to be had for more quality merchandise than a lot of the stuff Walmart is peddling.

Agree with all the sentiment here. We need to put the Friday back in "Black Friday".

dkst0426
Black Friday Pro

Postby dkst0426 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:36 pm

As long as the shoppers keep showing up, the retailers will keep doing what they are doing. I agree that the quality of sales has been dipping the last couple of years. I used to have a pretty decent personal wishlist, but lately, it's all about the stuff I'm picking up for the kids, and that's not just because I'm trying to provide a bit extra for my kids either.

On the flip side, my beef with the "boycott Black Thursday" or whatever it is crowd is that so many of them just can't seem to let it go when it comes to respecting what others choose to do. It's as if they can't see that we aren't going to feel bad about getting out there. For me, I enjoy the Shopper's Camaraderie with complete strangers whether it's standing in line waiting for doors to open or in the checkout line or staking out items on the Walmart floor before the Go hour. I got all but like 2 things this morning online, and still made it out to the stores this evening. It's the sport of it all. :)

Return to “Rants and Raves”