Target: 40M card accounts may be breached

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: ikey2, teknoge3k, Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Re: Target: 40M card accounts may be breached

Postby bfaddict » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:35 am

nothing on mine, but i only use my target debit card and that usually takes a week to post.

kinda wondering if i should look into getting a new card?

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:38 am

One of the articles floating around states any debit card users within that period should request a new card. So maybe.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:49 am

wonder if i can do it online without calling.

once my new bank debit or credit card got lost in the mail (i'm assuming, my one was expiring and i never got a new one) so i just had to call up and follow the phone prompts to request a new one with a new number and the other one was marked as lost

HanShotFirst
Black Friday Newbie

Postby HanShotFirst » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:19 pm

bfaddict wrote:nothing on mine, but i only use my target debit card and that usually takes a week to post.

kinda wondering if i should look into getting a new card?

Hope you have better luck. I've been trying to call Target and log onto the MyREDcard site to cancel my card for 2 days now with no success. The only option left is to get a new bank account number I think. That should render my REDcard debit card useless, and I can't do that until the 3 outstanding checks I mailed this week clear.

What a mess.

pdavis
Black Friday Pro

Postby pdavis » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:50 pm

a friend of mine was affected. they ordered an ipad using her info.
I'm addicted!

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:20 pm

i was just reading some other comments else where and someone made a good point. Target DEBIT cards can only be used at target, so as long as you change your pin number you should be ok. So I just changed my pin number and we'll see how that goes. now i'm glad I only use my target debit card at target!

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:38 pm

I need rum.

I just got off the phone with our credit union. They told me they are seeing fraudulent charges on customer accounts and highly advised me to replace both my debit and visa.

Done and done but not happy.

angelmse
Black Friday Pro

Postby angelmse » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:33 pm

bfaddict wrote:i was just reading some other comments else where and someone made a good point. Target DEBIT cards can only be used at target, so as long as you change your pin number you should be ok. So I just changed my pin number and we'll see how that goes. now i'm glad I only use my target debit card at target!

That's what I thot also BF, however my credit card company told me, that it's not the red card they are after. They pulled ur personal information from the red card or credit card and are using it to print their own fake credit cards under ur name and social# and using that new card as you to make purchases or withdrawal's. That is the danger and also it might not be right now, they could hold this info for a while until the "heat" wears off and in 6 mos from now make purchases. So it is very important to cancel ur card, have a new one issued and let ur bank and credit card company know that u may be affected.
That's what they told me. FYI E1.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:35 pm

My credit card company was very easy to deal with. I'm not stressing it. I hope nobody else gets bothered by this though!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Tomfranklin
Black Friday Pro

Postby Tomfranklin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:32 am

just because you don't have any purchases on your account doesn't mean you aren't affected. if you used a cc/db between the times i'd cancel and get a new one to be safe. which is what i did.

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:40 am

Very good article on this situation:

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/12/card ... d-markets/

angelmse
Black Friday Pro

Postby angelmse » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:33 pm

With Target already reeling from a massive hack that left up to 40 million credit and debit cards compromised, The New York Times now reports that all that data has been pouring into the black market since the break-in. With the breach taking place between Black Friday and December 15th, criminals on hundreds of illicit card-selling markets have likely had access to consumer information for weeks to date.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guests will not be held responsible for fraud

Security experts, including security blogger Brian Krebs, say that criminals sell stolen credit cards in bulk, with individual cards going for as little as a quarter or as high as $100 depending on the credit limit. With that kind of access, they can then burn the information onto counterfeit cards or use them to purchase gift cards that siphon off the victim's account.

Target issued a statement today reassuring customers that they will not be held responsible for any credit or debit fraud. While the company states that it hasn't received many fraud complaints since news of the breach broke, it has given affected account numbers to credit card companies. In addition, the company is offering a 10 percent discount on in-store purchases — evidently to curry good will among customers.
Target is now offering an additional 10% off to anyone shopping in their stores now until Christmas

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:33 pm

There's no telling what the bad PR did to Target's near term bottom line. I read where the stock price took a big hit. Not sure if a measly 10% off (which is what employees supposedly get) will mend the fences via it's CEO's goodwill gesture.

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:50 pm

How about Target offering 10% off to all customers who use cash in the future? It would save them money in credit fees, as well as headache in case of another security breach if more customers used cash. If gas stations can do it, I don't see why department store chains can't. As a cash consumer I would be more apt to shop at Target than Walmart if they offered a incentive for using cash.

BTW I heard this on the radio this evening and thought I'd ask it here...

CASH ... In God We Trust.
CREDIT CARDS ... In Computers We Trust.
Which would you prefer ?

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:22 pm

angelmse wrote:
bfaddict wrote:i was just reading some other comments else where and someone made a good point. Target DEBIT cards can only be used at target, so as long as you change your pin number you should be ok. So I just changed my pin number and we'll see how that goes. now i'm glad I only use my target debit card at target!

That's what I thot also BF, however my credit card company told me, that it's not the red card they are after. They pulled ur personal information from the red card or credit card and are using it to print their own fake credit cards under ur name and social# and using that new card as you to make purchases or withdrawal's. That is the danger and also it might not be right now, they could hold this info for a while until the "heat" wears off and in 6 mos from now make purchases. So it is very important to cancel ur card, have a new one issued and let ur bank and credit card company know that u may be affected.
That's what they told me. FYI E1.

But they didn't get social security numbers. And if they don't have the correct pin to my debit red card then it's useless to them. And even if they somehow got other info to help them open new cards I don't see how getting a new target debit card will stop that.

I must have missed the announcement of 10% off but my mom mentioned that tonight.
They sent out a email today that said they will offer free credit monitoring to everyone affected. They are currently in the process of setting it up and wills end out more info when it's ready to go.

Return to “Off Topic”