Your first time out on BF

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Re: Your first time out on BF

Postby azerigold » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:27 am

Hmm... well I remember my first time was in Terre Haute, IN, we made a family 'girls' day out, but we didn't hit the store openings, we went in the afternoon and stayed out all evening. It was so much fun :)
That was 1999.
I worked BF at Kmart in 2002, it was a blast to work. They let us take turns getting our breaks so we could shop the doorbusters. I worked layaway, so we didn't get customers right away, I think I remember that Layaway didn't open right away, but I know I was out helping on the floor for a little while. Then when layaway did open we were swamped all day.

My first outing I think must have been in 2005 as that's the earliest I can remember going out. I went by myself, I went to the TRU opening, and Walmart, then stopped by Meijer <Lexington, KY>. It was the best trip I ever remember at TRU on BF.

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:53 am

I went in 2001 when I was a young pup I went with a friend who had a 1 yr old. The friend got accused of elbowing a lady on purpose; however, the "group" around the Tickle Me Elmo stood up for my friend because the other lady was being crazy trying to get a second Tickle Me Elmo by yanking on it while my friend was pulling it off the shelf; in the process of the lady doing this it made my friends arm jerk back (cause my friend wouldn't let go) and ultimately the friends elbow connected with the lady in the face. It was a big hoopla that worked out well but still scared me off from BF shopping for a couple of years. People were crazy!

In 2004, started going again but was just shopping not competing. The game changed in 2005 when a friend and I started standing in line before dawn to wait on the goods. 2006 I was very close to the front of the line at Target and the mad dash for items was thrilling but sucked cause I realllly needed a cart! Some years we make the line and some years we have been there close to opening but late enough for line to diminish. Last year, was second in line at Walmart for a trampoline.

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:22 pm

I can't really remember when, but it had to be around 98/99. I think Best Buy was opening at 6:00am (it might have even been 7:00). I got there around 3:00 and there were fewer than 100 people in line. The good ol days......

harleygirl6363
Black Friday Pro

Postby harleygirl6363 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:46 pm

BFVet wrote:I can't really remember when, but it had to be around 98/99. I think Best Buy was opening at 6:00am (it might have even been 7:00). I got there around 3:00 and there were fewer than 100 people in line. The good ol days......

i miss those days :(

digby723
Black Friday Pro

Postby digby723 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:23 pm

I started going with my parents around 2001 I believe. They've been doing it for a couple of years already and my mom always says they started by pure chance. Said they were driving around and saw a line outside Best Buy early in the morning (back when they opened at normal business hours, so 9 or 10 am!) and said they must have good stuff, so they stood in line and asked to borrow some guys ad to see what was on sale lol!

We got up really early, maybe 4 am and stood outside Best Buy for our first store. It was so exciting to me to go crazy shopping, even though it was really cold! I'll never forget it either, I was in charge of getting a new cordless phone and picked the wrong one up. Then my sister (3 yrs younger than I, and I was maybe 15 at the time I started going) and I were looking for a DVD, ran up and down the aisles until we found the last one. My sister ran to it and grabbed it between some guys legs as he bent down to grab it too and then we both ran off to find our parents, lol! We hit a slew of stores that year, don't think we got home until mid-afternoon. I've been doing BF shopping for about 12 years, think I only missed once year when I spent it abroad for school.

Now it's mainly just my mom and I that go. Dad never goes anymore, doesn't like the huge crowds now, and my sister normally has to work the 12 am - 8 am shift at work. We normally stand outside Kohl's for a couple of hours to get stuff, but this'll be the first year in 2 or 3 that I don't want anything from them. Will more than likely buy 90% of what I want online and go to HH Gregg at 8 pm Thanksgiving to order the new dryer I need since mine broke over a week ago. (good timing at least!)

tattsb4u
Black Friday Amateur

Postby tattsb4u » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Mine was 2001....my 3 year old daughter (now a grumpy teen) desperately wanted the Babbelin Boo doll from Monsters Inc. It was on the front page of the Target ad. I got so excited! I went about an hour ahead of time (totally inexperienced) and there must have been about 200 people in front of me by then. My heart sank, but I was still hopeful.....I kept thinking how many people wanted a Babbelin Boo doll anyways?

After about 30 minutes a sales associate was walking down the line handing out muffins and I asked her how many dolls they had. She looked at me with sad eyes and said "three"....She must of seen my face completely melt. I told her about my little one and she said "I am so sorry, we thought we would of gotten more, but only three came in". I asked her where they were located and she told me an end cap near the back of the store.

I almost turned around and left at that point. I was near tears....silly now looking back on it all...

Anyways.....

The doors opened and the line started to move. There must of been about 30 people in front of me and I saw that same sales associate....she was looking around at all the people entering the store...

She spotted me....came up to me as I was near the door and whispered...

"Go to Guest Services, there is one Babbelin Boo doll waiting for you"

It was the coolest thing ever.....it really was. Actually still brings tears to my eyes!

I ran up to guest services, paid for the doll and I swear I was the happiest person out of the thousands of Target shoppers that day.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:12 pm

i think i was in college my first time.... i came home for thanksgiving. my dad had always done the black friday but i never did it with them. then he started going black friday with my moms friend's (my mom had to work friday morning so she couldn't come). so it was a group of 4 or 5 of us. i remember thinking how crazy the crowds were... people were standing in line for a store that was handing out free stuffed bears or something. we didn't want one so we didn't see the need to get in line to get inside and people yelled at us lol

digby723
Black Friday Pro

Postby digby723 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:39 pm

tattsb4u wrote:Mine was 2001....my 3 year old daughter (now a grumpy teen) desperately wanted the Babbelin Boo doll from Monsters Inc. It was on the front page of the Target ad. I got so excited! I went about an hour ahead of time (totally inexperienced) and there must have been about 200 people in front of me by then. My heart sank, but I was still hopeful.....I kept thinking how many people wanted a Babbelin Boo doll anyways?

After about 30 minutes a sales associate was walking down the line handing out muffins and I asked her how many dolls they had. She looked at me with sad eyes and said "three"....She must of seen my face completely melt. I told her about my little one and she said "I am so sorry, we thought we would of gotten more, but only three came in". I asked her where they were located and she told me an end cap near the back of the store.

I almost turned around and left at that point. I was near tears....silly now looking back on it all...

Anyways.....

The doors opened and the line started to move. There must of been about 30 people in front of me and I saw that same sales associate....she was looking around at all the people entering the store...

She spotted me....came up to me as I was near the door and whispered...

"Go to Guest Services, there is one Babbelin Boo doll waiting for you"

It was the coolest thing ever.....it really was. Actually still brings tears to my eyes!

I ran up to guest services, paid for the doll and I swear I was the happiest person out of the thousands of Target shoppers that day.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

That is absolutely to sweetest thing!!! That was the best part if working retail for me, doing some RAOK that just completely made someone's day :)

kowen
Black Friday Pro

Postby kowen » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:07 pm

My first time was when I was around my freshmen year of high school. Give or take a year because I don't remember. So that would have been around 2001. My mom had been going shopping on black Friday for a few years, and she always talked about how big of a rush it was. I guess she just decided that one year I was old enough to be her side kick. We have been shopping every black Friday ever since. It is tradition now, and I would be sad if I had to miss that time together. Of course, some things have changed. My husband and my dad go every year now too. :D

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:38 am

My husband did Walmart with me last year and he seemed to enjoy it a little. This year he will get the chance to really enjoy it lol he is going with me to all the stores that evening. I will let you all know how it goes!

Return to “Rants and Raves”