First time BF'ers please read ME first

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

killasnake
Admin

First time BF'ers please read ME first

Postby killasnake » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:53 am

There are many threads with the same questions. What time should I get there?, What Items are hot this year?, How long is the line at this store?, Does this store of a Black Friday Sale? and so on

We do not know. Everyone in this forum are all over the country. Each store is different. You have to do the research aka "recon work" yourselfs

1) Call the Store and talk to the manager
2) Go to the store Thanksgiving Day - ask the manager in charged for the BF sale
__________ *How is the BF sale going to work?
__________ *In the past BF sales how have the lines been? When do they start?
__________ *Are you giving tickets out for Hot items? When will you pass them out?
3) Keep driving back to the store and check if the line is forming yet

Just ask yourselfs How bad do you want it?

Price Matching/Purchasing the items the day before:
* Depending on your area SOME may or may not do price matching on the item.
* Purchasing the item the day before is a simple no. Store will not allow you to buy the item, they do not even put it on the floor.
Last edited by killasnake on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karona13
Black Friday Newbie

Target

Postby karona13 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:06 am

Last year I bought several items that were on sale for Black Friday at Target. The store policy in New York states that any items that go on sale within a week you can get your money back. So, I went to Target the Wednesday before Black Friday and purchased all the sale items I wanted. Then on Black Friday I went to customer service and got my money back. I saved over 200 dollars. The catch is that you have to bring your receipt in on Black Friday. Happy Shopping!!!

neonray
Black Friday Newbie

Postby neonray » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:41 am

8) SEARS Last year I used the black friday ads to see what Tv's where going to be on sale. I went to Sears the Saturday prior to see the Tv I had selected to see what it looked like, what the model was and if I like the picture. The sales associate was very helpful, I asked her which TV was going to be on sale on Friday & she showed me & then advised I could purchase it today bring the sales receipt back on Friday anytime before the sale ends and they would give me the sale price, that way I guaranteed the product I wanted since they had a limited supply. That saved me $1000.00 and I love my new flat screen HDTV!!

misskerri
Black Friday Newbie

Re: Target

Postby misskerri » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:08 am

karona13 wrote:Last year I bought several items that were on sale for Black Friday at Target. The store policy in New York states that any items that go on sale within a week you can get your money back. So, I went to Target the Wednesday before Black Friday and purchased all the sale items I wanted. Then on Black Friday I went to customer service and got my money back. I saved over 200 dollars. The catch is that you have to bring your receipt in on Black Friday. Happy Shopping!!!

I've done that too. It's great! Definitely don't lose that receipt!

PhaserBait
Black Friday Pro

Re: Target

Postby PhaserBait » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:30 am

karona13 wrote:Last year I bought several items that were on sale for Black Friday at Target. The store policy in New York states that any items that go on sale within a week you can get your money back. So, I went to Target the Wednesday before Black Friday and purchased all the sale items I wanted. Then on Black Friday I went to customer service and got my money back. I saved over 200 dollars. The catch is that you have to bring your receipt in on Black Friday. Happy Shopping!!!

This works, but not at every store. It definitely won't work at Best Buy. Make sure the item being sold the week before is exactly the same as the one in the ad. Sometimes they have a defferent model number, so you could get stuck.

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Postby Russell Burrows » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:57 pm

Bestbuy for example will have an Insignia black 32 inch LCD HDTV with a serial number of say INSG32BLALCD 3395 and ONLY for Black Friday they will have the same exact tv only, only they tumble the serial number to say its another tv and so they do not have to refund or return any money BF_INSG32BLALCD 3395 so when you try to tell them its the same model, brand, type, color and serial number they will tell you its a "special" Black Friday model number.....................gee thanks Best Buy (sarcasm).

TakenAback
Black Friday Pro

Postby TakenAback » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:26 am

With all due to the OP, contacting the store and/or speaking to a manager can lead to the opposite effect, as they may not have been informed of the items involved or their quantities (you may not want to give them reason to call their kids after you walk away). So, if making inquiries, you may not want to mention certain items. Additionally, many BF items do make it to the floor, or are already there if they are not a top-level doorbuster. (Things like media, for instance)

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:47 pm

What I do is pretend you are a sale associate for another Target for example. - Call the Target you want to shop at and be casual -
"Can I speak to someone in (department name)" ??

When they answer the call "Hi this is Jim in electronics, can I help you?"

"Hi Jim - this is Joe in the (local city name) store - we have a customer asking about LCD TV's that are going to be on BF this year - do you have a bunch in stock? We only have 3"

When they come back and give you an answer act confused on the phone - like he is talking about a different model number. Ask him what model he's talking about and the price. Once you get the information you need, tell them you'll send your customer his way for the sale. Ask if he can help you make sure the customer gets one - as a favor and you'll owe him one. He should help you out if you've been kissing up acting like his best buddy!

Then you show up as the customer on BF and say that "Joe" sad to find "Jim" in electronics - Jim should be holding the TV for you. Winner!

SirZoltan
Black Friday Newbie

BestBuy pricematch policy on BF

Postby SirZoltan » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:53 pm

Last year for the first time there was -very- specific fine print saying that BestBuy would -NOT- match the price for previous purchases on any doorbuster items [it may have included all items in the ad - I don't recall].

So, I figure they will probaby do the same again this year. I thought this might help people out.

Basically you can NOT buy things beforehand and expect BestBuy to match their BF prices on BF.

It kinda of sucks, but at the same time I see the point. If you take the time to wait in line etc, you deserve the deal.

I hope nobody else gets clever enough to cover their a$$ with this stuff.

I have had good luck in the past with Target, Circuit City [if they last until BF this year!], and Office Depot matching the price on previous purchases. There is also usually a note in the newspaper saying that Walmart will generally price match other stores prices on the SAME item [and we all know that means the SAME model number].

Good luck on BF!
Chad

fatspivy
Black Friday Newbie

Postby fatspivy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:50 pm

For smaller items such as games, dvd's, cd's, etc., I assume that there would be nothing to stop you from walking in with a prior purchase, returning it, then asking to buy it right back at the lower price. Price adjustments were invented to make this process quicker and easier, right? Would Best Buy resort to actually refusing to take returns during Door Buster hours? Even if they did, wouldn't this violate their own return policy (Mr. manager, please show me on my reciept where it states the store hours during which returns will not be accepted)?

mellissa2775
Black Friday Newbie

Postby mellissa2775 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:43 pm

Here is a tip for claiming your bags when having more than one person in your car for the day. After you leave each store and put your bags in the car attach colored pipe cleaners to them. I our family each person has a set of colored pipe cleaners. When loading our car we attach our color to all of our bags. At the end of the day we know which bags are ours with out having to dig into each bag. Just a tip.. :D

baxterific
Black Friday Newbie

Postby baxterific » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:55 pm

[i]----What I do is pretend you are a sale associate for another Target for example. - Call the Target you want to shop at and be casual -
"Can I speak to someone in (department name)" ??

When they answer the call "Hi this is Jim in electronics, can I help you?"

"Hi Jim - this is Joe in the (local city name) store - we have a customer asking about LCD TV's that are going to be on BF this year - do you have a bunch in stock? We only have 3"

When they come back and give you an answer act confused on the phone - like he is talking about a different model number. Ask him what model he's talking about and the price. Once you get the information you need, tell them you'll send your customer his way for the sale. Ask if he can help you make sure the customer gets one - as a favor and you'll owe him one. He should help you out if you've been kissing up acting like his best buddy!

Then you show up as the customer on BF and say that "Joe" sad to find "Jim" in electronics - Jim should be holding the TV for you. Winner!---------

Wow! That is sneaky and soooo very good. Wish I had thought of it!

deanslist23
Black Friday Newbie

Postby deanslist23 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:32 am

how long do doorbusters last? all day or a few hours?

tobinsky
Black Friday Pro

Postby tobinsky » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:15 pm

deanslist23 wrote:how long do doorbusters last? all day or a few hours?

they're gone before the store opens. they hand out tickets. you have to camp out for computers and tv's that are really hot items.

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”