walmart

Black Friday 2012 - Retail Store Deals Discussion

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Re: walmart

Postby bfaddict » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:51 pm

the odd thing about our walmart is that they had signs on all 8 pm items that said "items will not ring up at price until 8pm" they did not say "do not touch until 8 pm' the signs made it seem like you COULD take them, but you couldn't check out. but then everywhere you went, you had walmart employees practically glaring at you.

saw a couple ladies almost get into a fight because one lady went to pick up a game (just to look at it) and another lady came over saying "you can't take them yet!! they won't let you take them! you have to put it back!" when the other lady was actually discussing the game with a walmart employee. attitudes starting flying.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:15 pm

dkst0426 wrote:I remember that year well - people were walking out with doorbusters when I showed up at 10:00, and I smelled a rat. I didn't end up missing out any anything I was looking for, but I can imagine why people would have been (rightfully) upset.

If the sale is at 10 and you show up at 10, you can't honestly expect to get anything. If you want anything at any store, you have to be there well before the start time.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

dkst0426
Black Friday Pro

Postby dkst0426 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:24 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
dkst0426 wrote:I remember that year well - people were walking out with doorbusters when I showed up at 10:00, and I smelled a rat. I didn't end up missing out any anything I was looking for, but I can imagine why people would have been (rightfully) upset.

If the sale is at 10 and you show up at 10, you can't honestly expect to get anything. If you want anything at any store, you have to be there well before the start time.

The sale was at midnight, and I arrived at 10, which has always worked for me. This hasn't been my first rodeo.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:26 pm

We had people at our Walmart coming in last night at 7:30 and later for the 8pm sale. We had already checked out by 7:15 and was headed to the truck to load our goods up. I don't know why they got there 30 minutes early and expected to get anything.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:47 am

teknoge3k wrote:We had people at our Walmart coming in last night at 7:30 and later for the 8pm sale. We had already checked out by 7:15 and was headed to the truck to load our goods up. I don't know why they got there 30 minutes early and expected to get anything.

cause if the walmart was like the walmart i go to - they easily could get items if they came at 7:30. cause walmart employees wouldn't let you take anything until 8

bankruptinpa
Black Friday Pro

Postby bankruptinpa » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:19 am

Where is the customer loyality? I mean that good Wal Mart customer that spends big money every week at Wal Mart?
I would suggest those good customers that shop there all year round should have first dibs at sale items on the Black Friday sales!
My local grocery store I use a customer loyality card that gives me discounts on food and gas,,,, why doesn't Wal Mart?
Years ago I went to the local Wal Mart manager and told him I wanted local produced food and non-food products in his store cause I want to buy local products to help the local economy and I have always purchaced the local products because I believe they are better quality. Local made products include bread, milk, deli products, candy, tomato sauce, bedding, light bulbs, electrical cords, motor oil,,, and the local Wal Mart doesn't sell ANY of these products! The manager told me the local products are priced too high and he can offer another product just as good for less price! But I dissagree the local products are much higher quality and thats why they are priced higher, I will pay more for better quality and at the same time the money I spend on local stays in the area!
The way I understand it Wal Mart has no loyality to the local people, they spit on our faces by not carriring local products.
Sams Club is just as bad! what a scam! you have to pay a membership fee of $35 per year just to shop there! You're not getting better prices and size and selection is limited.
We don't have a Costco or a Super Target store in our area, but I hear both are kicking the butt of Wal Mart in other areas of the country!
I just hate Wal Mart, I still woundn't go there even if they were giving stuff away,,,,, yea, maybe I do spend more somewhere else for the same product, but at least I leave that other store with a smile on my face cause I was treated good and with respect!

There is another dirty little secret about Wal Mart,, (note: I am taking a big risk telling you this) The name brand products are manufactured exclusively just for Wal Mart, like the name brand TV at Wal Mart is made different than that same TV at another store, Wal Mart makes a deal with that manufacturer to produce so many TV's at a deeply discounted price, so in order for the manufaturer to make a profit he must find ways to "cheapen" his product cause if he doesn't sell to Wal Mart he looses a lot of business! That name brand Ketchup you buy at Wal Mart is different than that same brand you buy at another store, maybe its watered down, I don't know, but I do know its made cheaper to satisfy Wal Mart. Wal Mart is big enough to do this! So you're buying lower quality and you don't know,,, Wal Mart is fooling you,, and the management laugh about it!

BF364
Black Friday Pro

Postby BF364 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:09 am

bankruptinpa wrote:Years ago I went to the local Wal Mart manager and told him I wanted local produced food and non-food products in his store cause I want to buy local products to help the local economy and I have always purchaced the local products because I believe they are better quality. Local made products include bread, milk, deli products, candy, tomato sauce, bedding, light bulbs, electrical cords, motor oil,,, and the local Wal Mart doesn't sell ANY of these products! The manager told me the local products are priced too high and he can offer another product just as good for less price! But I dissagree the local products are much higher quality and thats why they are priced higher, I will pay more for better quality and at the same time the money I spend on local stays in the area!
The way I understand it Wal Mart has no loyality to the local people, they spit on our faces by not carriring local products.

There is another dirty little secret about Wal Mart,, (note: I am taking a big risk telling you this) The name brand products are manufactured exclusively just for Wal Mart, like the name brand TV at Wal Mart is made different than that same TV at another store, Wal Mart makes a deal with that manufacturer to produce so many TV's at a deeply discounted price, so in order for the manufaturer to make a profit he must find ways to "cheapen" his product cause if he doesn't sell to Wal Mart he loses a lot of business! That name brand Ketchup you buy at Wal Mart is different than that same brand you buy at another store, maybe its watered down, I don't know, but I do know its made cheaper to satisfy Wal Mart. Wal Mart is big enough to do this! So you're buying lower quality and you don't know,,, Wal Mart is fooling you,, and the management laugh about it!

Actually what do you think WalMart does to local producers who are interested in having their products caried in WM? The same thing they do to every other vendor that has stuff in WM...super high pressure arm twisting to lower their prices (and how the vendor does that doesn't concern WM) just so WM will carry them and then can claim that 'WM has the cheapest prices'.

I live in a rural agriculture producing part of the country and I have heard this story countless times from everyone from the local hydroponic tomato growing lady to the local bottler of our county's spring water. WM just isn't worth it for most of them to bother with.

The other pet peeve of mine? People who shop at the WM in our county (as opposed to any other WM anyplace else) because 'we need to keep our money here in the county'. Uh no, any profits WM gets from any store go to corporate in Bentonville Arkansas and then to its major shareholders (mostly the Walton family but also to some of those same big institutional investors who fund all of the other corporate foolishness in our economy from banks that handed out loans to anyone who signed an application without any regard to whether they would be able to pay it off to corporate welfare queens like Wal-Mart who brow beat local governemts into giving them tax breaks and other perks to locate their businesses in their areas). People who only get 27 hours worth of work a week at $8/hr (WM's definition of 'full time employment') are going to have to go on the local dole (like WM employees in Maryland almost all of whom get their health care from the state's Medicaid system because they can't afford WM's health care plan). So other than these dubious locally based jobs, my fellow county dwellers really aren't supporting their neighbors when they shop at the county's one WM.

Look if you want to 'buy local' then go buy it from a store that is based in your community especially one that hires local people and pays local taxes etc. If you want to get 'bargains' at WM, go ahead and snap them up but don't kid yourself into thinking that WM cares about anything in your area (you, your neighbors, their jobs, the local social infrastructure, the local environment) other than what they can get out of your wallets.

dkst0426
Black Friday Pro

Postby dkst0426 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:11 pm

teknoge3k wrote:We had people at our Walmart coming in last night at 7:30 and later for the 8pm sale. We had already checked out by 7:15 and was headed to the truck to load our goods up. I don't know why they got there 30 minutes early and expected to get anything.

Hang on - you were checked out by 7:15 heading to your truck with 8:00 sale items?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:55 pm

dkst0426 wrote:

Hang on - you were checked out by 7:15 heading to your truck with 8:00 sale items?

Yes, our store lets us check-out early. I was home and had eaten leftovers before 8:00 hit. I got everything I had went after which included a ton of video games for my son, a bike, the trampoline (which was a ticketed item), some Legos, a lamp for my mother in-law, and some other little items. I live 15 minutes away from my Walmart too, so you do the math.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

pdavis
Black Friday Pro

Postby pdavis » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:24 pm

I went to kmart at 430 am thurs for the 32" tv at 6 am. Usually there's not really a line. At 530 when they passed out tickets for them, people who had been in line 8 pm wed night didn't get any because people in front of them had extra people show up for the tix. So I went to walmart. Got there at 6 am when it opened. About 4 of us got in line at 7 am for the laptops. We all made friends and the 2 guys who were in line brought extra people to grab pallet stuff at 8 pm and we all combined list. So like one person grabbed 10 monster high and 14 barbies and whatever else was in that area. Each person had a different area. Then for the 10 pm sale, one of the wives watched like 3 carts of stuff while the grabbers worked on pallet items lol.

For the laptops, tickets were passed out at 6 pm. Then we were told the only way to get out of line was with a bathroom pass. But the employees were cool about people coming into the line area (it was roped off) with stuff from the 8 pm sale as long as at least one person was still there with the cart. At since the 4 of us in our "group" had been there all day we took turns watching each others carts so we could go help our grabbers or get our items from them.
I'm addicted!

scrappingsteph
Black Friday Pro

Postby scrappingsteph » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:23 am

I was really impressed with our Wal-Mart. We got a late start and don't get there until 7:20 or so. But we went with the mindset that if we got what we wanted great, if not, no big deal. We were able to get our vacuum and scooters and were out of the store by 8:10. Went to eat and came back around 9:30 with the same mindset as before. Got the printer and wireless mouse with no trouble. Out in 15 min. Came back around 12:30 after finishing at Macy's. Was able to get all but 2 of the movies on my list. I price matched the best buy ad and the price on Wal-Mart's website. I also price matched at target with no problem.

barrett76
Black Friday Pro

Postby barrett76 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:28 am

Our Walmart was interesting. Usually its pretty tame. But this year people were trying to put stuff in baskets but we had a whistle nazi going up and down the aisles saying no one could take anything early. I was actually thankful for her. However 20 minutes before someone started it and it snowballed....right in toys where my 13 year old was stationed. What was funny was some lady pushed her so she pushed her back. The lady told her she was just trying to get her stuff. My daughter said so am I. Obviously thats not a normal practice that I would condone but.... Its Black Friday and I was proud she stood her ground.

sallan8
Black Friday Pro

Postby sallan8 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:10 pm

I have the Walmart app on my iPhone. At one point on BF I had opened the app and it said "shake me" for a special deal. I was also doing a million other things and hadn't realized until the splash page was gone and it never came back. Does anyone know what that was for?

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:54 am

I'm in the video game console market. WM's Xbox 360 holiday value bundle is the best of the bunch for now. Saw microsoft.com's $50 off offer will last til January 5th. I'm holding out for new wrinkles in bundles like a gift card or I'll grab a 250gb console with any extras offered.

What's the best bundle or ale on a 360 slim 250gb you've seen?

Return to “Retail Stores”