UK shopper heading to Orlando for BF

Black Friday 2012 - Retail Store Deals Discussion

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

JimmyT85
Black Friday Amateur

UK shopper heading to Orlando for BF

Postby JimmyT85 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:34 am

Hello all,

As the title suggests, Me & my other half are visiting Orlando from the UK, and we're there over the Thanksgiving period. We've been a couple of times before over Thanksgiving, and have loved the experience. We've been shopping during "midnight madness" a couple of times at the Outlets in Florida, but we've never bought anything from one of the big box stores. This year we're looking on buying a new laptop, as they're much cheaper in the US than the UK.

After talking with other people, they think my best bet would be to head to Office Max and/or Office Depot, as they mightn't be as busy or have queues as big as the big box stores. Do others agree with this statement?
As I'm only in Orlando for the week, I haven't really got enough time to be able to queue for long periods of time.

By the looks of last years ads, it looks possible we'd like to go to Walmart or Best Buy also, as they looked to have good laptop deals, but I'd imagine their queues would be incredibly long!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much

stepheng
Black Friday Pro

Re: UK shopper heading to Orlando for BF

Postby stepheng » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:36 am

I definitely recommend OfficeMax! I bought a computer there several years ago on BF and it was relatively hassle free (especially compared to BB, WM, etc).
"Do right." -Erk Russell

JimmyT85
Black Friday Amateur

Postby JimmyT85 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:35 am

stepheng wrote:I definitely recommend OfficeMax! I bought a computer there several years ago on BF and it was relatively hassle free (especially compared to BB, WM, etc).

Cheers mate, here's hoping it's as hassle free this year! :lol:

robb01
Black Friday Pro

Postby robb01 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:11 pm

Staples is usually good too for hard drives, flash drives, etc.

kenziekinz09
Black Friday Pro

Postby kenziekinz09 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Where in Orlando will you guys be staying? The roads around the outlet malls and most of 192 are ridiculous all Thanksgiving weekend. Depending on what side of town you're on it may be better to shop closer to "home".
Tek for weird uncle! TEAM SISTER WIVES 8)
My Disney Blog- http://www.kenziewdwcp.blogspot.com/

JimmyT85
Black Friday Amateur

Postby JimmyT85 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Thanks Robb, I will check out Staples aswell, as I'd be after a 1TB portable HDD if I get a laptop :)

Kenzie - We're staying on International Drive. We have been to Orlando on Black Friday before, so I think we're prepared for the busy roads around the outlets, and especially the car parks!

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:11 am

staples,office Max, Office Depot depending on the location have good deals and dont have the extreme lines you would find at a best buy with people camping out days beforehand.
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

micknkids
Black Friday Pro

Postby micknkids » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:23 pm

don't forget about hhgregg they sometimes have some really good deals.

BFBrandon
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFBrandon » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:33 pm

MikesTooLz wrote:staples,office Max, Office Depot depending on the location have good deals and dont have the extreme lines you would find at a best buy with people camping out days beforehand.

Agreed!

I'd keep an eye on price points as the ads start coming out. That will give you an idea on what you're generally looking to spend and what you'll likely get for that price on BF. While Wal Mart and Best Buy tend to have great deals, they've got the most visibility -- and the most campers. Other stores aren't that far behind in price, and if you're looking to get in and out in a timely manner, spending a few more bucks may be worth your while.

Good luck shopping :D

PokeMeg
Black Friday Pro

Postby PokeMeg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:23 am

I used to live outside of Orlando. It was the best, because you didn't have to deal with the cold...now I live back in Illinois. Hah!

But, if you want to head outside of Orlando to a small town, I lived in Altamonte Springs. They had (I haven't lived there for...4 years so.) all the major box stores and I never dealt with too much of a line. There was also good shopping in Lake Mary, which is just outside of the Sanford Airport.

But, if you are staying in the more 'tourist' areas, it's about a 45 minute drive. About 15 minutes from Downtown Orlando.
"Every flight begins with a fall", the crow said. "Look down."

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:54 am

I'm in Orlando and Office Max, Office Depot and Staples will be your best option. If you're in line 2 hours prior to opening, you're likely to get what you want.

I went to a Staples on the northeast side of town last year (tourist district is southwest, so a fair distance from where you'll be) and was 2nd in line at 3:00. The manager showed up around 4:15 and gave us tickets and said we could come back at opening (which I think was 6:00, maybe 5:00). Got a laptop and a desktop. I've done the office stores several years and even 1/2 hour before opening the lines are typically <150 people. Keep in mind, on the tourist side of town, lines may be longer. You've got a lot more younger folks who work irregular hours on that side of town.

I know there is an Office Max right on International Drive on the south end. You might want to check for locations and drive a little bit to get out of the heart of the tourist district. Anything on West Colonial Drive (Hwy 50) would be relatively close and in a somewhat less densely populated area where competition might be a little lighter.

If you decide to try Best Buy, there is one about 10 miles past Disney on the way out of Orlando (at the Haines City / Hwy 27 exit). I've never been there for Black Friday or otherwise, but it always struck me as an out-of-the-way Best Buy that might be an atypical black friday experience. Although, it could also draw a lot of people from the west where that is the closest Best Buy, so you never know.

Hoochie
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Hoochie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:11 pm

JimmyT85 wrote:Hello all,

As the title suggests, Me & my other half are visiting Orlando from the UK, and we're there over the Thanksgiving period. We've been a couple of times before over Thanksgiving, and have loved the experience. We've been shopping during "midnight madness" a couple of times at the Outlets in Florida, but we've never bought anything from one of the big box stores. This year we're looking on buying a new laptop, as they're much cheaper in the US than the UK.

After talking with other people, they think my best bet would be to head to Office Max and/or Office Depot, as they mightn't be as busy or have queues as big as the big box stores. Do others agree with this statement?
As I'm only in Orlando for the week, I haven't really got enough time to be able to queue for long periods of time.

By the looks of last years ads, it looks possible we'd like to go to Walmart or Best Buy also, as they looked to have good laptop deals, but I'd imagine their queues would be incredibly long!

Thanks so much

Hi Jimmy.

I used to live in Edinburgh for seven years. I miss the British banter! When I moved overseas my fellow Yanks took laptops with them to the UK, but the laptops had to have a SWITCH that converted the their laptop from US to UK.... do you know what I'm talking about?

I find that Best Buy has the best customer service and guarantee policies. If you should run into trouble with your new laptop whilst in Liverpool, Best Buy would be the safest way to go.

The queues ARE long. At Best Buy, people camp-out overnight before doors finally open!! But, arriving at the stores as soon as you can - even an hour before doors open- helps.

I suggest getting a Google map and plotting the Best Buy, Office Max and Walmart stores nearest to where you'll be staying. Then maybe drop off your wife at one store to line up and wait for the doors to open whilst you go off to a second store.... then communicate via cell phones (eg whoever got in the store first and got a laptop to hand would phone the other). The strip malls usually have a Best Buy and Office Max/Staples in the same plaza, which means short walking distance for you and your wife to meet up again by foot.

JimmyT85
Black Friday Amateur

Postby JimmyT85 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:48 pm

MikesTooLz wrote:staples,office Max, Office Depot depending on the location have good deals and dont have the extreme lines you would find at a best buy with people camping out days beforehand.

Thanks. I have heard Office Max and Office Depot will be the best, so I'm just waiting for the ad leak now!

micknkids wrote:don't forget about hhgregg they sometimes have some really good deals.

Thanks for the info, I've never heard of that place before, but will check it out.

BFBrandon wrote:

Agreed!

I'd keep an eye on price points as the ads start coming out. That will give you an idea on what you're generally looking to spend and what you'll likely get for that price on BF. While Wal Mart and Best Buy tend to have great deals, they've got the most visibility -- and the most campers. Other stores aren't that far behind in price, and if you're looking to get in and out in a timely manner, spending a few more bucks may be worth your while.

Good luck shopping :D

Thanks a lot. I can't wait :D

PokeMeg wrote:I used to live outside of Orlando. It was the best, because you didn't have to deal with the cold...now I live back in Illinois. Hah!

But, if you want to head outside of Orlando to a small town, I lived in Altamonte Springs. They had (I haven't lived there for...4 years so.) all the major box stores and I never dealt with too much of a line. There was also good shopping in Lake Mary, which is just outside of the Sanford Airport.

But, if you are staying in the more 'tourist' areas, it's about a 45 minute drive. About 15 minutes from Downtown Orlando.

We have a rental car, so we can go anywhere really, we don't really mind. Just as long as we don't get lost while it's pitch dark, it could be a bit scary, haha!

BFVet wrote:I'm in Orlando and Office Max, Office Depot and Staples will be your best option. If you're in line 2 hours prior to opening, you're likely to get what you want.

I went to a Staples on the northeast side of town last year (tourist district is southwest, so a fair distance from where you'll be) and was 2nd in line at 3:00. The manager showed up around 4:15 and gave us tickets and said we could come back at opening (which I think was 6:00, maybe 5:00). Got a laptop and a desktop. I've done the office stores several years and even 1/2 hour before opening the lines are typically <150 people. Keep in mind, on the tourist side of town, lines may be longer. You've got a lot more younger folks who work irregular hours on that side of town.

I know there is an Office Max right on International Drive on the south end. You might want to check for locations and drive a little bit to get out of the heart of the tourist district. Anything on West Colonial Drive (Hwy 50) would be relatively close and in a somewhat less densely populated area where competition might be a little lighter.

If you decide to try Best Buy, there is one about 10 miles past Disney on the way out of Orlando (at the Haines City / Hwy 27 exit). I've never been there for Black Friday or otherwise, but it always struck me as an out-of-the-way Best Buy that might be an atypical black friday experience. Although, it could also draw a lot of people from the west where that is the closest Best Buy, so you never know.

Thanks a lot for your post. What I plan on doing was seeing where had the best deal etc, and then going to that store to speak to a worker to get some info about what time to queue up etc. As I said, we've got a rental car, so location isn't too much of a problem, we just don't want to get too lost :)

Hoochie wrote:
JimmyT85 wrote:Hello all,

Thanks so much

Hi Jimmy.

I used to live in Edinburgh for seven years. I miss the British banter! When I moved overseas my fellow Yanks took laptops with them to the UK, but the laptops had to have a SWITCH that converted the their laptop from US to UK.... do you know what I'm talking about?

I find that Best Buy has the best customer service and guarantee policies. If you should run into trouble with your new laptop whilst in Liverpool, Best Buy would be the safest way to go.

The queues ARE long. At Best Buy, people camp-out overnight before doors finally open!! But, arriving at the stores as soon as you can - even an hour before doors open- helps.

I suggest getting a Google map and plotting the Best Buy, Office Max and Walmart stores nearest to where you'll be staying. Then maybe drop off your wife at one store to line up and wait for the doors to open whilst you go off to a second store.... then communicate via cell phones (eg whoever got in the store first and got a laptop to hand would phone the other). The strip malls usually have a Best Buy and Office Max/Staples in the same plaza, which means short walking distance for you and your wife to meet up again by foot.

Wow, that's awesome! You know I've never been to Scotland yet! Yeah I know about the switch thing. I was thinking of just buying a new plug and adaptor for the UK laptop (which should work for the US laptop). Thanks for the info, hopefully I'll be able to build a better plan of action once all the ads come out :)

amurcia
Black Friday Newbie

Postby amurcia » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:44 pm

well glad you come to Orlando to do your shopping I've done black Friday for 7 years and best plan off attack make sure you low populated area with alot stores for cloths most outlets will have a better deal for them electronics bestbuy,sears,hhgreg,compusa,walmart,target will have your better deals .I recommend you do electronics first as cloths not priority. lines very long but i do have few tricks to get all the goodies i wont list them here cause ive learned them after 7 years of making painful long lines. Best buy can cost you easy 18 hour to wait to get good door busters

target good 8 hour wait

make sure you put game plan together of the items you want early

second look also bring ton money you can buy for example $5,000 worth of stuff and go home and make extra $5,000 selling it to friends
if your traveling with 4-5 people you make your Christmas without duty tax and make your new year real happy

once you have plan if you have your list the best thing to do is get 2 mile range walki talkies and let another party member go and make the line
at another store

lines very long so if your coming on vacation more then shopping then i don't recommend black Friday as Disney can take up to 6 days to do only

if your just looking for certain computer then just inbox me and i might be able to help you

Return to “Retail Stores”