Hard drive prices increasing!!! argggghhh!!!!

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, ikey2, Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Hard drive prices increasing!!! argggghhh!!!!

Postby Russell Burrows » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:59 pm

One hard drive factory in the entire World gets flooded and thats the excuse to increase hard drive prices on the entire Planet??
Greedy hard drive resellers!!
Bah!

Good thing for me that this BF 2011 I want a tablet (solid state storage) instead of a laptop that uses a hard drive.

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Re: Hard drive prices increasing!!! argggghhh!!!!

Postby jediknight » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:25 am

Russell Burrows wrote:One hard drive factory in the entire World gets flooded and thats the excuse to increase hard drive prices on the entire Planet??
Bah!

Good thing for me that this BF 2011 I want a tablet (solid state storage) instead of a laptop that uses a hard drive.

Very true, ever since the Tsunami in Japan (nobody even talks about them over there and they are still suffering miserably) so many chip companies, etc have not gone back to work and everything from hard drives to panel parts to security and technical equipment production has really sunk.

Guess there are your price increases, coupled with other natural disasters throughout the world.

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Postby Russell Burrows » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:29 am

jediknight wrote:
Russell Burrows wrote:One hard drive factory in the entire World gets flooded and thats the excuse to increase hard drive prices on the entire Planet??
Bah!

Very true, ever since the Tsunami in Japan (nobody even talks about them over there and they are still suffering miserably) so many chip companies, etc have not gone back to work and everything from hard drives to panel parts to security and technical equipment production has really sunk.

Guess there are your price increases, coupled with other natural disasters throughout the world.

True but even after the huge Japan tsunami prices stayed the same or even dropped.

However in October all it takes is some flooding at one factory and now hard drive prices are going up and hard drive production was not shifted to alternate sites with the huge Tsunami.

It leaves me wondering what kind of folks they are hireing at those hard drive production plants since for some reason I keep thinking of Keystone Cops.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:32 am

can we also complain about peanut butter prices rising??? 40% percent!?!?!?!?!
not that i eat a lot of peanut butter... but i plan to use a lot for holiday baking lol

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:38 am

bfaddict wrote:can we also complain about peanut butter prices rising??? 40% percent!?!?!?!?!
not that i eat a lot of peanut butter... but i plan to use a lot for holiday baking lol

I noticed this as well since I use pb for candy ... I have been buying one item a week to be used for candy making for about a month and half now.

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Postby Russell Burrows » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:55 am

mechimpaired wrote:
bfaddict wrote:can we also complain about peanut butter prices rising??? 40% percent!?!?!?!?!

I noticed this as well since I use pb for candy ... I have been buying one item a week to be used for candy making for about a month and half now.

Keystone Cops aka Feds decided to use 1/3 of corn crops for ethanol fuel and gave extra incentives to peanut farmers to plant other crops.
Then those same feds are clueless! when asked about the rising prices of peanuts and peanut butter!!

And my fav. is feds paying! peanut farmers to not grow crops to bolster the crop prices.
Gee thanks! Uncle Sam!! gee thanks! for raising prices on stuff that the average consumer buys.
Arrrghhh!

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:12 am

mechimpaired wrote:

the pb i like is so hard to find in the first place!! i plan to stock up this weekend... i think 3-4 jars will get me through the season.

PokeMeg
Black Friday Pro

Postby PokeMeg » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:03 am

So this explains why there were people with carts full of hard drives and peanut butter the other day...huh.
"Every flight begins with a fall", the crow said. "Look down."

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:27 am

such a great combination :D

tpollus
Black Friday Amateur

Postby tpollus » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:41 am

You got peanut butter on my hard drive.

You got hard drive on my peanut butter.

Yum.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:35 pm

It's not just one factory that got flooded. There seem to be a number of very real problems affecting many different companies (and people).
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireSt ... s-14960279
http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/ ... 272006.php

bfbrenton
Black Friday Amateur

Postby bfbrenton » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:16 pm

I guess it's time to stock up! Reminds me of the big factory fire that they had in Taiwan years ago that sent memory prices skyrocketing. Look on the bright side, Russell, it'll encourage the adoption, development and production of solid state drives, which are superior anyway 8) .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cheerio, good day, and thank you for being a fan!
Sir Brenton Nathaniel Murray
Chief Client Relations Magistrate

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:51 pm

Well after japans disaster all we can do is wait. Or learn how to make them ourselves.

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Postby Russell Burrows » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:57 pm

bfbrenton wrote:I guess it's time to stock up! Reminds me of the big factory fire that they had in Taiwan years ago that sent memory prices skyrocketing. Look on the bright side, Russell, it'll encourage the adoption, development and production of solid state drives, which are superior anyway 8) .

Welcome to the site.

I expect that in 2012 Q1 ,Q2 and even Q3 that hard drives will be scarce.
Laptop/desktop/netbook/server producers will cope with the current problem with on hand stock/inventory for 2011.

The shift from netbooks/laptops towards flash based tablets will help curb some of the hard drive demand.

I agree that SSD needs more adoption and prices on 256 GB SD cards and flash drives will drop in price as units are sold in increasing numbers.

BF2011
Black Friday Newbie

Postby BF2011 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:52 am

I was wondering if a kind soul could help me out. I am trying to find a semi-good deal for an external hard drive, between 1 and 2TB of storage. Before, I was able to find a 1.5TB one for $70 via a good deal on Amazon. Of course I don't expect that kind of a deal now. But does anyone know if there is a way to easily check the current prices of external hard drives on Amazon? I have a few gift cards from them I want to use for this. I know they have gold box deals, and lightning deals (do they still have these?), and of course all the BF deals. Does anyone know if they will have any possible deals on Western Digital external hard drives (or any other brands)? If someone could leave a note here if they ever see any for discount, I'd really appreciate it!!

Return to “Off Topic”