When Do I buy the newspaper to get all the ads?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

PookyBeary
Black Friday Newbie

When Do I buy the newspaper to get all the ads?

Postby PookyBeary » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:00 pm

I know on BF all the sales ads are going to be out online. But how do I get all the physical ads? Places like Frys, sales ad is never out until the morning of BF. My question is, should I be standing at the newspaper stand at midnight to purchase the newspaper for friday? Or should i just have to buy the newspaper on thanksgiving day? Any suggestions?

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:45 pm

thanksgiving day is when the majority of them are in the paper.
i remember one year i bought one thanksgiving day and friday but there was nothing new in friday.

TheCount
Black Friday Pro

Postby TheCount » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:47 pm

The paper for Thursday, Thanksgiving day, has the ads. Not sure if some minor ads will slip in the Sunday paper though (they do not here).

pandagirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby pandagirl » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:21 pm

TheCount wrote:The paper for Thursday, Thanksgiving day, has the ads. Not sure if some minor ads will slip in the Sunday paper though (they do not here).

I get the Sun., Wed., and Thu. from my Mom. Sometimes smaller stores will go in those ones, but not too often.

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfshoppermom » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:23 pm

Gotta get Wed (for any sales that may be Turkey Day) and then Thurs to have all the physical ads...your plan should be solid before you sit down to eat Turkey...lol!

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Agree - Wed for the Thanksgiving ads and Thursday for BF ads.

zim05
Black Friday Pro

Postby zim05 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:14 pm

My parents, who live in the country, get all the ads on Wednesday since there is no country paper delivery on Thanksgiving. I live in town and will be going to a grocery store/gas station early on Thanksgiving morning.

PokeMeg
Black Friday Pro

Postby PokeMeg » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:06 pm

Newspapers do sell out on Thanksgiving though. Trying to find a paper on a Thanksgiving afternoon was nearly impossible.
"Every flight begins with a fall", the crow said. "Look down."

JrdnJstn
Black Friday Pro

Postby JrdnJstn » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:47 pm

Fry's is always the last and their ad never gets leaked! They usually have the best sales and the longest lines but they have awesome crowd control and a billion check outs!

I always buy the Wednesday paper and Thursday paper and it will be the fattest paper you'll ever buy all year long.
The biggest lie I tell myself is... "I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it."

DramaticAnnie
Black Friday Pro

Postby DramaticAnnie » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:05 am

I stay in hotels and while I usually stay at the same place, one year we couldn't get a room there and stayed nearby. However, just wanted to let you know that if you're doing the hotel thing, you can call the hotel in advance and ask them to put aside a thanksgiving day paper for you with all the ads in it. Then it'll be already reserved for you when you check in.

It's a beautiful thing :D
I love my dogs more then I like most people.

There is nothing else in this world I get as excited for as I do for Black Friday. :D

ekugal
Black Friday Newbie

Postby ekugal » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:36 pm

Always get a paper early on Thursday morning!! I went to (not kidding) over 10 gas stations looking for a paper. Finally found them at Wal-mart!

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:31 am

FYI, I noticed in my local Tuesday paper today that there were ads for Kmart's Wednesday "Thanksgiving Day" sale (in this locale, stores cannot open on Thursday), Kohl's one-day Wednesday sale, and Sears' one-day Wednesday sale.

angel_of_oz
Black Friday Pro

Postby angel_of_oz » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:33 am

Our Ads will all be in the newspaper today! YAY!

Our newspaper only comes out once a week, Weds. Well since it's a Holiday week they will put it out a day early so they will all be in there Today! WOOT

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:54 pm

XmasDVD wrote:Agree - Wed for the Thanksgiving ads and Thursday for BF ads.

+1

To answer a related question the newspaper's circulation desk will know what time the truck heads out and makes it's drops. Ditto a 24/7 store (like Walgreens) or a gas station. My educated guess is 4am with a completed run NLT 7am.

wendygrace
Black Friday Newbie

Postby wendygrace » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:40 am

What ads have you guys found in today's paper? Its cold outside and I don't want to go out if I don't have to. I really only want Targets BF ad. Thanks!

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”