Staples

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Staples

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:45 am

18 page ad scan: https://www.bfads.net/stores/staples/ad ... riday/2018

Staples will be opening at 7AM on Black Friday. You can shop online starting Thanksgiving Day and have your gifts shipped or pick them up in-store on Friday as early as 7AM. Their 3 days of savings run through November 24th.

This Black Friday ad looks strikingly similar to last year's flyer with the front page dedicated mostly to laptops.

Staples has pretty much everything you might need for the office. They have a solid selection of laptops, monitors, computer accessories, and software. If you're wrapping a printer or an office chair for under the holiday tree this year, Staples will probably have what you're looking for. They have a few coupons with 50% off photo gifts and 20% off posters and banners. We also found a cute mint green Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 camera + free film for $49.99 and a HP Sprocket smartphone photo printer for 89.99.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Re: Staples

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:18 am

Do you spy any good router or combo modem/router deals in there? ;)

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:59 am

From a quick check, it seems that the only router listed in the ad is the Netgear Nighthawk AC2100 on page 5 of the ad. The sale price is $80, with a regular price of $180. "While supplies last. Not available at all stores."

This particular item is somewhat tricky to analyze. The AC2100 is a model exclusive to Staples, so you'll really need to look at the specifications to compare it to other models. It was made specifically for Staples (possibly specifically for this holiday season) so it is difficult to know whether it was made to the same quality as other Netgear products. It is difficult to know whether the $180 regular price is legitimate or whether it might have been just priced artificially high so the sale price looks low in comparison.

Someone else will need to look at the product for you and give an opinion about how good the product is based on the specs. I am not familiar with the latest router technology or other existing, modern routers to compare it to.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:59 pm

Zip and PDF files from Hiker:

Staples2018.zip (2.4 MB)
Staples2018.pdf (2.6 MB)

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:32 am

Shopper X wrote:From a quick check, it seems that the only router listed in the ad is the Netgear Nighthawk AC2100 on page 5 of the ad. The sale price is $80, with a regular price of $180. "While supplies last. Not available at all stores."

This particular item is somewhat tricky to analyze. The AC2100 is a model exclusive to Staples, so you'll really need to look at the specifications to compare it to other models. It was made specifically for Staples (possibly specifically for this holiday season) so it is difficult to know whether it was made to the same quality as other Netgear products. It is difficult to know whether the $180 regular price is legitimate or whether it might have been just priced artificially high so the sale price looks low in comparison.

Someone else will need to look at the product for you and give an opinion about how good the product is based on the specs. I am not familiar with the latest router technology or other existing, modern routers to compare it to.

Walmart has the same one except it's the AC2600 for $99 - so that would probably be better right? How do I tell what the range is on routers?

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:38 am

Again, I don't know much about routers. However, going from the technical specifications listed for each product, the AC2600 seems slightly better than the AC2100. Specifically, it is faster in the 5GHz band which is the "less interference but shorter range" band, as I understand it.

AC2100: (800Mbps 2.4GHz + 1300Mbps 5GHz)
AC2600: (800Mbps 2.4GHz + 1733Mbps 5GHz)

AC2100: Simultaneous Dual Band WiFi—Tx/Rx 4x4 (2.4GHz) + 3x3 (5GHz)
AC2600: Simultaneous Dual Band WiFi— Tx/Rx 4x4 (2.4GHz) + 4x4 (5GHz)

I don't think there is any way to know ahead of time the exact range of any particular wireless router for any specific home. The best you could do would be to make a guess based on the technical specifications of the router and compare it to the specifications and performance of existing routers that were used in the same home. Otherwise, it's somewhat a pig in a poke.

(Performance depends on a lot of factors: the layout of your house, the materials the house is made from, layout of electrical wires in the house, what other electric and electronic devices are used in your house, how many neighbors you have, how close your neighbors live to you, what electric and electronic devices (routers, cell phones, microwave ovens) are used by your neighbors, etc.)

Hopefully someone with more knowledge about routers will chime in and give you more feedback.

headbanger783
Black Friday Pro

Postby headbanger783 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:18 pm

Just a heads up...if searching for a modem/router combo make sure it meets the specs required by your ISP. They usually have those listed on their website.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:10 pm

headbanger783 wrote:Just a heads up...if searching for a modem/router combo make sure it meets the specs required by your ISP. They usually have those listed on their website.

Would you be able to help me a little more with this? :D I have Mediacom and when trying to look for this info I really have no idea what I'm looking for from Mediacom or when looking at modem specs. I get a lot of 'these modems are approved by Mediacom' which is obviously just some random page with a list of routers and modems probably getting paid per click.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:48 pm

It looks like Mediacom's requirement is that cable modems must be DOCSIS 3.0 or DOCSIS 3.1:
http://mediacomcc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5071
Modems must be DOCSIS 3.0 or DOCSIS 3.1 compatible to function with Mediacom’s service.

Even before finding this information, I would have advised you to get at least a DOCSIS 3.0 modem as the minimum, in terms of value and future-proofing. Depending on the speed of your internet service (or the speed you might want to get in the future), you could go with DOCSIS 3.1 as well, though for most people that is more modem than they need (at least for now).

DOCSIS is a standard that cable modems adhere to, so you can be sure that all DOCSIS 3.0 modems meet certain minimum requirements.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

Return to “Official Deal Announcements”