Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Re: Walmart

Postby carmenslackey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:45 pm

Brian1220 wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:
Brian1220 wrote:
Yeah I live in the Philly suburbs and I’m not to sure either. I thought about going Wednesday and asking if they had a lot of them but I don’t know if I will get a direct answer.

A lot of times, they won't tell you. BTW, welcome to the forums. Do come back on Friday and let us know how you racked up. Good luck getting your computer!

Thank you and I sure will. I am hoping I can really get it.

I'm also in PA, but about 3 hours away from you (50 miles or so above the Harrisburg area). I can tell you how the stores in my area work, but as was mentioned, all Walmarts are not created equally. The 3 stores in my area used to let people start putting things into their carts about 2 hours before start time, Over the past 2 years though, you've had to sit by your starting pallet and then chaos ensues about 5 minutes until start time. In my experience, and please keep in mind that I live in the middle of nowhere where there's barely a population, desktops do not fly off the shelves and in our stores, any larger electronics are actually ticketed. My suggestion is that you check the Walmart that you'll be going to's ad tomorrow for the map and see if that desktop is listed on there. If it is, I would suggest getting there about 1-2 hours in advance to get a ticket, just in case. If they have a few in stock, you may be able to get one after the sale starts. In my area, around 6:30-7pm, the employees move the pallets with the extra ticketed items out into the open for the general public to purchase. No matter when you go, it still may be crazy and packed, though you should be able to grab a cart from someone on your way into the store.

Hope this helps! Welcome to the forums and I wish you the best of luck on getting your desktop!! :)

Brian1220
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Brian1220 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:29 pm

carmenslackey wrote:
Brian1220 wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:
A lot of times, they won't tell you. BTW, welcome to the forums. Do come back on Friday and let us know how you racked up. Good luck getting your computer!

Thank you and I sure will. I am hoping I can really get it.

I'm also in PA, but about 3 hours away from you (50 miles or so above the Harrisburg area). I can tell you how the stores in my area work, but as was mentioned, all Walmarts are not created equally. The 3 stores in my area used to let people start putting things into their carts about 2 hours before start time, Over the past 2 years though, you've had to sit by your starting pallet and then chaos ensues about 5 minutes until start time. In my experience, and please keep in mind that I live in the middle of nowhere where there's barely a population, desktops do not fly off the shelves and in our stores, any larger electronics are actually ticketed. My suggestion is that you check the Walmart that you'll be going to's ad tomorrow for the map and see if that desktop is listed on there. If it is, I would suggest getting there about 1-2 hours in advance to get a ticket, just in case. If they have a few in stock, you may be able to get one after the sale starts. In my area, around 6:30-7pm, the employees move the pallets with the extra ticketed items out into the open for the general public to purchase. No matter when you go, it still may be crazy and packed, though you should be able to grab a cart from someone on your way into the store.

Hope this helps! Welcome to the forums and I wish you the best of luck on getting your desktop!! :)

Where can I find a picture of the map of my store. Is it gonna be in the ad in the newspaper or can I find it online? You also think that if they don’t show that desktop on the map on a pallet that I should be ok with getting it?

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:03 pm

Brian1220 wrote:Where can I find a picture of the map of my store. Is it gonna be in the ad in the newspaper or can I find it online? You also think that if they don’t show that desktop on the map on a pallet that I should be ok with getting it?

The Walmart Black Friday ad is already available on walmart's website. They're releasing the maps tomorrow online. All you have to do is put your zip code in, pick the walmart store that you're planning on going to, and I believe it's between pages 1 and 2 of the ad, there's a place that you can click to see the store map.

If the desktop isn't listed on the map, it'll be on a pallet somewhere in the store. All Walmarts vary with their pallet placement. In the store I go to, they had the computers that weren't on the map last year next to the printers between the food section and women's pajamas. That's not saying that's where they'll be in your store, but just to give you an idea. If it's not on the map and you're able to carry the desktop without a cart, I'd say get there about 45 minutes before sale time just to be sure you get one. The carts will be gone by then more than likely, but that's ok because it's much easier to get around without one when the chaos starts .If that's the only thing you need, you could pick it up and carry it right to one of the checkout lines while everyone else is still digging through towels and pj's. Don't be afraid to get a little aggressive if need be to get around the traffic jam of carts to get into a checkout line, unless they are already in line. You could take a chance and go later to see if they have any left, and chances are that they might in this age of laptops and tablets, but if it were me, I wouldn't risk it. You'd be surprised the things that go first that no one would think anyone else would want.

I've been starting my shopping at Walmart for the past 9 years now, and by myself for the past 3. Yes, it's total craziness, but if you work your game plan out early enough beforehand, you should be able to get what you need and get out in a reasonable amount of time.

kovo89
Black Friday Newbie

Postby kovo89 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:22 pm

In reference to the gift cards with the phone upgrades, anyone know if there's a limit on them?

Brian1220
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Brian1220 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:35 pm

carmenslackey wrote:
Brian1220 wrote:Where can I find a picture of the map of my store. Is it gonna be in the ad in the newspaper or can I find it online? You also think that if they don’t show that desktop on the map on a pallet that I should be ok with getting it?

The Walmart Black Friday ad is already available on walmart's website. They're releasing the maps tomorrow online. All you have to do is put your zip code in, pick the walmart store that you're planning on going to, and I believe it's between pages 1 and 2 of the ad, there's a place that you can click to see the store map.

If the desktop isn't listed on the map, it'll be on a pallet somewhere in the store. All Walmarts vary with their pallet placement. In the store I go to, they had the computers that weren't on the map last year next to the printers between the food section and women's pajamas. That's not saying that's where they'll be in your store, but just to give you an idea. If it's not on the map and you're able to carry the desktop without a cart, I'd say get there about 45 minutes before sale time just to be sure you get one. The carts will be gone by then more than likely, but that's ok because it's much easier to get around without one when the chaos starts .If that's the only thing you need, you could pick it up and carry it right to one of the checkout lines while everyone else is still digging through towels and pj's. Don't be afraid to get a little aggressive if need be to get around the traffic jam of carts to get into a checkout line, unless they are already in line. You could take a chance and go later to see if they have any left, and chances are that they might in this age of laptops and tablets, but if it were me, I wouldn't risk it. You'd be surprised the things that go first that no one would think anyone else would want.

I've been starting my shopping at Walmart for the past 9 years now, and by myself for the past 3. Yes, it's total craziness, but if you work your game plan out early enough beforehand, you should be able to get what you need and get out in a reasonable amount of time.

Thank you so much for the help. If I get there 45 minutes earlier, do I need to wait outside in a line or is it at that point everyone is in the store already in lines?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Brian1220 wrote:
Thank you so much for the help. If I get there 45 minutes earlier, do I need to wait outside in a line or is it at that point everyone is in the store already in lines?

As long as your Walmart is a 24x7 Walmart (aren't they all now?) you can go in anytime, and camp near your item. I usually get to our Walmart around 2pm on Thanksgiving Day and camp out in an isle somewhere and eat my Sheetz food while I wait on the pallets to come out so I can grab my stuff.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Brian1220
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Brian1220 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:45 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
Brian1220 wrote:

As long as your Walmart is a 24x7 Walmart (aren't they all now?) you can go in anytime, and camp near your item. I usually get to our Walmart around 2pm on Thanksgiving Day and camp out in an isle somewhere and eat my Sheetz food while I wait on the pallets to come out so I can grab my stuff.

Makes sense. Good old sheetz haha, we got Wawa over here lol. I hope everyone has a computer at this point lol

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:48 pm

Brian1220 wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:
Brian1220 wrote:

Makes sense. Good old sheetz haha, we got Wawa over here lol. I hope everyone has a computer at this point lol

Sheetz is my go-to before Walmart. Then later in the night when we're in the city we'll stop at Steak & Shake. Sheetz is based in PA so you'd think you'd have them on every corner. (See Atlanta:Waffle House) Joe Sheetz started a good thing. He's a very nice and humble guy.

You'd think everyone has a computer but you're looking for one. I just bought one Monday, and am buying my wife the one from Staples on Black Friday. So that's 3 computers purchased right there.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:55 pm

I get to the area where the pallets are staged about three hours prior. Then I figure out how I'm going to sweep the areas I want items. I've made insta-buddies when we small talk about who wants what. For example the sheets, bar stools, mats ans towels were all in close proximity. Me and two strangers agreed to shop for each other in three separate areas and exchange items in a non cluttered aisle.

This won't be possible where the pallets of games, movies and small electronics stuff are located. Most of the small electronics aren't big sellers. The games and movies are elbow, shove and pray adventures.

If your there less than 90 minutes prior you can expect table scraps and leftovers.

Brian1220
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Brian1220 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:05 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
Brian1220 wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:

Sheetz is my go-to before Walmart. Then later in the night when we're in the city we'll stop at Steak & Shake. Sheetz is based in PA so you'd think you'd have them on every corner. (See Atlanta:Waffle House) Joe Sheetz started a good thing. He's a very nice and humble guy.

You'd think everyone has a computer but you're looking for one. I just bought one Monday, and am buying my wife the one from Staples on Black Friday. So that's 3 computers purchased right there.

Is everything for electronics usually on pallets?

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Brian1220 wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:
Brian1220 wrote:

It's a prior year item on closeout, you aren't likely getting a great deal. TV? Likely 60hz.

Brian1220
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Brian1220 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:57 pm

blue3715 wrote:
Brian1220 wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:

It's a prior year item on closeout, you aren't likely getting a great deal. TV? Likely 60hz.

What do you mean?

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:11 pm

blue3715 wrote:
Brian1220 wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:

He's not looking for a TV. He's getting the $499 desktop.

I'm getting a TV though and it most definitely is not 60hz. It's a 4K Ultra Smart TV. There's one on display at my Walmart. I checked it out today. The picture is very sharp and clear. It's going to look great hanging on the wall of my new living room. :)

Brian - If the desktops are not on a pallet, they'll be stacked on the floor like they should be on a pallet. Our Walmart even takes the dozens of printers off of the pallets to maximize floor space.

Brian1220
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Brian1220 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:31 pm

carmenslackey wrote:
blue3715 wrote:
Brian1220 wrote:

I'm getting a TV though and it most definitely is not 60hz. It's a 4K Ultra Smart TV. There's one on display at my Walmart. I checked it out today. The picture is very sharp and clear. It's going to look great hanging on the wall of my new living room. :)

Brian - If the desktops are not on a pallet, they'll be stacked on the floor like they should be on a pallet. Our Walmart even takes the dozens of printers off of the pallets to maximize floor space.

What is your opinion on the desktop? You think they will be a hot commodity?

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:56 pm

Brian1220 wrote:
carmenslackey wrote:
blue3715 wrote:

What is your opinion on the desktop? You think they will be a hot commodity?

I'm not quite sure, it really all depends on the demand for them in your area. I have several friends that work at our local Walmart and asked one of them today about your desktop. She said that as of right now, her store is slated to receive 12 of them and that they won't be ticketed at our store. That could differ at yours though since you're closer to a larger city and I'm up here in the middle of the woods lol.

In my experience, desktops aren't a hot seller in our area. 3 years ago, I took my mom to buy a new desktop at Staples on actual Black Friday. They had 6 there when they opened at 6am. When hubby and I went back over there at 5pm, they still had 3 in stock. But like I said, it could be totally different in your area.

Return to “Official Deal Announcements”