Black Friday Pro

wootoff

Postby jeanerz13 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:45 pm

Happening today - black Friday

joe43wv
Black Friday Amateur

Re: wootoff

Postby joe43wv » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:29 pm

I participated in the Woot-Off yesterday, scored a couple good deals, and even got a BOC. How did everyone else fare?

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:10 am

And it's back for cyber Monday. Too bad Mediacom decided I don't need internet this week...

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:38 am

jeanerz13 wrote:And it's back for cyber Monday. Too bad Mediacom decided I don't need internet this week...

You need a smartphone. :mrgreen:
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:26 am

teknoge3k wrote:
jeanerz13 wrote:And it's back for cyber Monday. Too bad Mediacom decided I don't need internet this week...

You need a smartphone. :mrgreen:

I have one - that's how I'm posting...just don't like ordering from it.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:54 am

jeanerz13 wrote:I have one - that's how I'm posting...just don't like ordering from it.

Tether your computer to it and use its Internet connection. Where I live, we don't have high speed Internet. The best we get is 2mbx2mb over a wimax system. So when I need high speed for something such as watching Netflix or ESPN3, I tether my computer to my phone and use the 35MB I get through Verizon 4G.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:32 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
jeanerz13 wrote:I have one - that's how I'm posting...just don't like ordering from it.

Tether your computer to it and use its Internet connection. Where I live, we don't have high speed Internet. The best we get is 2mbx2mb over a wimax system. So when I need high speed for something such as watching Netflix or ESPN3, I tether my computer to my phone and use the 35MB I get through Verizon 4G.

My computer doesn't have a wireless card. And I haven't got a laptop since the last one died - mostly because I'm picky about the keyboard. Guess it could be done by usb, but that seems inconvenient. And doesn't the phone provider usually have rules about using your phone as a hotspot or something? Or is that just handled by throttling?

I probably wouldn't actually buy anything from the wootoff anyway...haven't for years. Mediacom just annoys me. This is the second time in about 3 months I've gone internet-less for a week because that's how long it takes them to get out here. I would switch but they're the only cable option and I didn't really want DSL.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:15 pm

jeanerz13 wrote:My computer doesn't have a wireless card. And I haven't got a laptop since the last one died - mostly because I'm picky about the keyboard. Guess it could be done by usb, but that seems inconvenient. And doesn't the phone provider usually have rules about using your phone as a hotspot or something? Or is that just handled by throttling?

I probably wouldn't actually buy anything from the wootoff anyway...haven't for years. Mediacom just annoys me. This is the second time in about 3 months I've gone internet-less for a week because that's how long it takes them to get out here. I would switch but they're the only cable option and I didn't really want DSL.

You can get a USB wireless dongle for less than $5 and if your carrier doesn't "allow" you to tether in their settings on your phone, get FoxFi which you can use to tether your device with that. ;) Some companies throttle your data. I know Sprint, T-Mobile, the second tier providers that claim "unlimited data" do throttle your data once you hit your cap but if you have a top tier provider, it's not throttled. You would pay for any overages that you get but you would just monitor your data to see how much you get. With Verizon, you can get "blocks" of data.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:38 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
jeanerz13 wrote:My computer doesn't have a wireless card. And I haven't got a laptop since the last one died - mostly because I'm picky about the keyboard. Guess it could be done by usb, but that seems inconvenient. And doesn't the phone provider usually have rules about using your phone as a hotspot or something? Or is that just handled by throttling?

You can get a USB wireless dongle for less than $5 and if your carrier doesn't "allow" you to tether in their settings on your phone, get FoxFi which you can use to tether your device with that. ;) Some companies throttle your data. I know Sprint, T-Mobile, the second tier providers that claim "unlimited data" do throttle your data once you hit your cap but if you have a top tier provider, it's not throttled. You would pay for any overages that you get but you would just monitor your data to see how much you get. With Verizon, you can get "blocks" of data.

I suppose it's something to consider. Maybe using the 4g would be more reliable than mediacom. How is Netflix streaming over 4g? And since I use Boost, it would be Sprint's native network...I've heard their 4g is slower than most providers' 3g...

For now I'll probably just continue to complain about my current service...it's the least amount of work ;). I may eventually end up switching to dsl...maybe slower but possibly more reliable (don't see how it could be any less reliable).

We totally derailed this thread...supposed to be about the wootoff :p

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:37 pm

jeanerz13 wrote:I suppose it's something to consider. Maybe using the 4g would be more reliable than mediacom. How is Netflix streaming over 4g? And since I use Boost, it would be Sprint's native network...I've heard their 4g is slower than most providers' 3g...

For now I'll probably just continue to complain about my current service...it's the least amount of work ;). I may eventually end up switching to dsl...maybe slower but possibly more reliable (don't see how it could be any less reliable).

I stream all of the time over Verizon 4G when I watch Netflix and sports on ESPN3. It's pretty good, I can't complain. However that's a top tier provider. Sprint is a lower quality carrier which you're right, their service isn't as good. Then if you drop to a third tier like Boost or Cricket or one of those, you're going to be crawling again.

Oh, and woot. There, I kept it relevant. LOL

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:13 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
jeanerz13 wrote:I suppose it's something to consider. Maybe using the 4g would be more reliable than mediacom. How is Netflix streaming over 4g? And since I use Boost, it would be Sprint's native network...I've heard their 4g is slower than most providers' 3g...

I stream all of the time over Verizon 4G when I watch Netflix and sports on ESPN3. It's pretty good, I can't complain. However that's a top tier provider. Sprint is a lower quality carrier which you're right, their service isn't as good. Then if you drop to a third tier like Boost or Cricket or one of those, you're going to be crawling again.

Now I have to ask how much data you have that you can stream with it all the time lol
I'm on a family plan on verizon with my mom and brother which includes my two nephews who have ipads and when they take the 4 hour trip to their mom it's almost guaranteed that they use up all our data. And I think we have a ridiculous amount of data lol

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:20 pm

bfaddict wrote:
Now I have to ask how much data you have that you can stream with it all the time lol
I'm on a family plan on verizon with my mom and brother which includes my two nephews who have ipads and when they take the 4 hour trip to their mom it's almost guaranteed that they use up all our data. And I think we have a ridiculous amount of data lol

I use the term "all of the time" figuratively. I don't watch movies/ESPN3 daily. Usually a few movies a week and ESPN3 only when we have away games that aren't televised. We're a top 10 basketball team so most of our basketball games are televised. We have 40GB a month on our plan.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:38 pm

teknoge3k wrote:I stream all of the time over Verizon 4G when I watch Netflix and sports on ESPN3. It's pretty good, I can't complain. However that's a top tier provider. Sprint is a lower quality carrier which you're right, their service isn't as good. Then if you drop to a third tier like Boost or Cricket or one of those, you're going to be crawling again.

I did some speed tests today (boost 4g).

1:40pm - 6.69/6.11
6:06pm - 2.07/5.71
8:15pm - .72/5.04

At least upload was kind of consistent. I thought download was supposed to be faster than upload... I don't think it's going to work for Netflix (.72 Boost? Really?)

And to make it relevant - there's a flatware set on woot with colored handles. Do people actually like those? I always thought colored handles made flatware look like it was for toddlers.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:02 am

teknoge3k wrote:
bfaddict wrote:

I use the term "all of the time" figuratively. I don't watch movies/ESPN3 daily. Usually a few movies a week and ESPN3 only when we have away games that aren't televised. We're a top 10 basketball team so most of our basketball games are televised. We have 40GB a month on our plan.

ahh ok. I think we have 30. It's weird now how it says you don't really run out of data, they just slow you down when you "run out" so now we don't have any overages. I don't stream much at all with it so don't really notice a difference when they slow us down when we're out. Except last month I was at my friends house when it happened and I couldn't even load facebook so now sure if that was because we 'ran out' or if I just had some dead service in that area of her house, which is also odd because I've used my phone in her basement just fine before and this was on the main level.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:03 am

jeanerz13 wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:I stream all of the time over Verizon 4G when I watch Netflix and sports on ESPN3. It's pretty good, I can't complain. However that's a top tier provider. Sprint is a lower quality carrier which you're right, their service isn't as good. Then if you drop to a third tier like Boost or Cricket or one of those, you're going to be crawling again.

I did some speed tests today (boost 4g).

1:40pm - 6.69/6.11
6:06pm - 2.07/5.71
8:15pm - .72/5.04

At least upload was kind of consistent. I thought download was supposed to be faster than upload... I don't think it's going to work for Netflix (.72 Boost? Really?)

And to make it relevant - there's a flatware set on woot with colored handles. Do people actually like those? I always thought colored handles made flatware look like it was for toddlers.

haha i would in my college days! :D

Return to “Online Stores”