WALMART

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

caravaggio
Black Friday Pro

Re: WALMART

Postby caravaggio » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Vols44 wrote:
pandagirl wrote:So far I don't think it will be my first stop. Probably doing target 1st. Depending on what's available online, of course. Last year I scored Target early online.

I like your style. I like to whittle down my list online T day morning (if possible) and have a smaller must have list for stores. For example I've seen a 23" LED monitor for $99 two different places and I've I can snag it online it's got plenty of time to arrive for 12-25.

Last year I had a list of all the movies I planned to get online at best buy/walmart/target with some crossover and very little price differences and I just waited for the first deal to click. Walmart won, though best buy got my business later since they had one item that Walmart didn't... :lol:

So that being said, really hope the blurays end up on sale like last year. :mrgreen:
Last edited by caravaggio on Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:18 pm

cinemike16 wrote:
Vols44 wrote:
cinemike16 wrote:Some decent movie and video game deals this year. 8) Too bad they're mostly DVDs, I was hoping for better Blu-ray deals :shock:

This more of a suggestion/tip post. Arrive at least two hours early, look through the shrink wrap and identify which DVD's you want the most, develop a partnership with huddle (no lines for these pallets) mates and agree to help one another when the associates peel of the wrapping so the 9-12 deep crowd doesn't long arm your prime picks.

Last year's free for all was in an extra wide grocery aisle and it was semi-organized chaos.

Thanks for the tip, but this isn't my first time Black Friday shopping. At 3 of the stores I stop at they are usually in the extra wide grocery aisle/meat department of the store where there are plenty of space, 1 store always keeps them right in front where it causes a bottleneck with people wanting to check out. In years past,many of the DVDs and Blu-rays are still there a week after the sale and I don't expect that to change.

I've been there hours early for other stuff and have seen people tear into the pallets early, grab what they wanted and just wait for the checkout lanes to open. Mostly video games, people nowadays don't care about DVD/Blu-rays no matter how cheap they are.

YMMV, my local has a guard from the time it hits the floor til the event time begins. The associates will only do what the super says. Our three side-by-side pallets were decimated with maybe a few Christmas titles left behind. I think ebay flippers still think they can turn a dime with armful's of discs.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:29 pm

kenziekinz09 wrote:
happyfan wrote:
bfaddict wrote:wonder why they didn't go with 4?? i think it would have benefited them. everyone would have swarmed walmart and now everyone is spread between every store.

More than likely, they didn't want to step on customers toes. Corporate is already nervous about people getting angry for BF moving into Turkey day. To move it up even further may backfire.

She said she does expect next year to be even earlier. She wouldn't be surprised if it didn't start at noon or 2 p.m. since people moved to 5.

As far as the lines, she expects it to be similar to last year. Line 'em up in certain aisles and if necessary, snake them around to the next. Balloons to indicate what will be where. Most stores won't have enough of the physical item so know you MAY have to go back to pick up the item at a later date. Of course, the item should arrive before Christmas. But expect another farce with the free gift cards being offered when you buy certain items.

As far as the lines and coming back later go, last year people who stood in line to receive a physical TV that day were still in line waiting for their TV to be handed to them while those of us who got the 1 hr coupons were able to grab our coupons and head off for other items.

I remember people talking about in previous years that they just wanted to go in and get the rebate instead of waiting around for the product lol
I get in that case it might help that I probably won't get to walmart until about 30 after the sale starts.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:30 pm

Vols44 wrote:
cinemike16 wrote:
Vols44 wrote:
This more of a suggestion/tip post. Arrive at least two hours early, look through the shrink wrap and identify which DVD's you want the most, develop a partnership with huddle (no lines for these pallets) mates and agree to help one another when the associates peel of the wrapping so the 9-12 deep crowd doesn't long arm your prime picks.

Last year's free for all was in an extra wide grocery aisle and it was semi-organized chaos.

Thanks for the tip, but this isn't my first time Black Friday shopping. At 3 of the stores I stop at they are usually in the extra wide grocery aisle/meat department of the store where there are plenty of space, 1 store always keeps them right in front where it causes a bottleneck with people wanting to check out. In years past,many of the DVDs and Blu-rays are still there a week after the sale and I don't expect that to change.

I've been there hours early for other stuff and have seen people tear into the pallets early, grab what they wanted and just wait for the checkout lanes to open. Mostly video games, people nowadays don't care about DVD/Blu-rays no matter how cheap they are.

YMMV, my local has a guard from the time it hits the floor til the event time begins. The associates will only do what the super says. Our three side-by-side pallets were decimated with maybe a few Christmas titles left behind. I think ebay flippers still think they can turn a dime with armful's of discs.

mine does too. especially the DVDS and games and they are wrapped with BLACK wrapping. Even the larger items are guarded and you can sneak stuff away but you feel pretty guilty if you try to lol

shiftyjedi
Black Friday Pro

Postby shiftyjedi » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:50 pm

bfaddict wrote:anyone that has done the 1-hour guarantee for a computer or tv - how soon did you line up??

it seems like you should be able to line up maybe 30 min or earlier and still get a rain check- but can you??? or will the line be so huge that you won't get to the front in time?

Last year my friends (engaged) at work wanted the 32" TV for her kids room, however, Black Friday just doesn't work for them so I offered to get them the TV and explained even if I didn't get it right than, they would still get it by Christmas. I arrive 15 minutes late and the TV's were gone when I got to the area about a half an hour in, but I just walked up to the balloon and the lady handed me a flyer. I took the flyer up to the cashier and purchased the Gift Card with the TV's value. A few days later I purchased the TV with the card and even was able to get my friends register to pick it up when it arrived. They paid me the money and when it came in a week before Christmas they were able to pick it up at a Wal-Mart 60 miles away from the Wal-Mart I made the purchase at. It was very slick and if you don't need the item immediately it will save you time waiting in line.

What it boils down to do you want to camp for 6-8 hours for a better and a bit cheaper 50" TV immediately at Best Buy or would you rather go at opening and be guarantee to get a still amazing deal on a 50" that might take a couple of weeks to get. The same principal applies for the laptop.

EDIT: Keep in mind you don't have to check out in 1 hour, you just need to get the flyer in an hour.
2018 Video Game Comparison Spreadsheet Link (this compares video game item in a grid format)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IrC66il_gdV2fjT4CSwmG3v9zHPuwt_wkBcPNsfUXH8/edit?usp=sharing

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:17 pm

Yea now I'm considering get the rain check for the $249 laptop and the hanging around to see if I can get the $159 one at 8pm. If I can then I just don't purchase the $249 one.

I hope it goes as smoothly as everyone has experienced! Lol

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:43 pm

I have never done the 1 hour deal. If I am in the line any time within that hour (6pm-7pm) then I am guaranteed to get the voucher to purchase? So, I do not need to be there 2 hours early?

Our movies were in the garden center and no one could get near them before the time to even look at them. They had a line and then had people guarding the doors and letting people from the line in a few at a time. I found it very frustrating and hated it.
It just isn't Black Friday when it is Thursday.......

LHaro
Black Friday Pro

Postby LHaro » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:44 am

bfaddict wrote:anyone that has done the 1-hour guarantee for a computer or tv - how soon did you line up??

it seems like you should be able to line up maybe 30 min or earlier and still get a rain check- but can you??? or will the line be so huge that you won't get to the front in time?

I did the 1-hour guarantee last year on a tv. About 2 hours before the sale they start passing out wrist bands - no lines, they hand them to you and you can go. Then you come back between 6:00 and 7:00 to pick it up. If you have a wrist band you get either the item or a voucher for the item. The line to pick up was the only disorganized part, there really wasn't a good way to line up and you were in the way of other shoppers... I would actually love to see them take the pick up line outside the store where you can just line up in an organized fashion. The line went fast, it was just hard to find the end and other shoppers were frustrated because you were in the way. All my other shopping was done so I wasn't in a rush. The challenge this year is I need to leave Walmart fast so I can get to Target.... the line definitely slows you down. Now I only got one item last year... this year I may be looking at two... I don't know how that changes the dynamic because that is multiple lines.

coachcarstens
Black Friday Pro

Postby coachcarstens » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:09 am

Last year I also did the 1 hour guarantee with little to no issues. The line was long for the TV, so I waited about 20 minutes and the line was then completely gone. So, I just walked up got my flyer and headed toward the checkout. So, I had a good experience with it last year.

TexasDealGirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby TexasDealGirl » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:05 am

Bleh. I miss the black Fridays of old. Where the die hards would get up early morning on Black FRIDAY. Last year was a gigantic mass of people. I don't see too much I'm interested in with the walmart ad. I like the games but my w.m. hasn't got those in for the last two years. Come on TRU!

TitansFan
Black Friday Pro

Postby TitansFan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:17 am

Two years ago we went to one of our local Walmarts about an hour before they were to start selling the video games. When we got there the pallets had already been torn into. I guess I'll have to get there earlier this time to make sure I don't miss out.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:24 am

TitansFan wrote:Two years ago we went to one of our local Walmarts about an hour before they were to start selling the video games. When we got there the pallets had already been torn into. I guess I'll have to get there earlier this time to make sure I don't miss out.

Yea, if you're an hour before the sale starts, then you're way late.

I always get to Walmart about 4hrs early. I am able to walk around the store before it gets packed and scope out where everything is. Then about an hour and 30 minutes before the official start time, I start filling my buggy and getting whatever I am there for. Then about 30 minutes before the advertised start time, we're allowed to check out.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:36 am

I'll chime in about the video pallet. Last year it was in the freezer section with three five footers side-by-side and the mob was four deep two hours before hand and about twenty deep when the registers starting ringing up event 1 purchases. An associate was guarding the pallets the whole time since it was the most likely place for greed and violence.

I do remember a select few were not on a pallet. Titles like Frozen, Hunger Games: Catching Fire and The Lego Movie will obviously be on endcaps, or back in electronics.
Last edited by Vols44 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

TitansFan
Black Friday Pro

Postby TitansFan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:36 am

I knew I needed to get there early. I know it varies among the different Walmart stores as to when they allow people into the pallets. I've heard some Walmart stores stand guard until the sale begins and then let people into the pallets. Four hours early would put it at a 2:00pm arrival and that's around our turkey eatin' time! Last year I just purchased the games online, but the prices may have been a little more ($5 or so dollars per game) vs. going into the store.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:55 am

teknoge3k wrote:
TitansFan wrote:Two years ago we went to one of our local Walmarts about an hour before they were to start selling the video games. When we got there the pallets had already been torn into. I guess I'll have to get there earlier this time to make sure I don't miss out.

Yea, if you're an hour before the sale starts, then you're way late.

I always get to Walmart about 4hrs early. I am able to walk around the store before it gets packed and scope out where everything is. Then about an hour and 30 minutes before the official start time, I start filling my buggy and getting whatever I am there for. Then about 30 minutes before the advertised start time, we're allowed to check out.

I wish your store was more the norm, but unfortunately I don't think it is.
I've been to different walmarts across the country and they guard those suckers like their life depends on it and you may not touch even if your watch says it's time!

Return to “Official Deal Announcements”