Walmart's "Manager's Specials"

Moderator: lwmjr

Shopper X
Black Friday Pro

Walmart's "Manager's Specials"

Postby Shopper X » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Does anyone know anything about Walmart's "Manager's Specials" mentioned on page 22 of the adscan?

http://bfads.net/Black-Friday/Walmart/Ad?page=22#viewer
The Walmart adscan wrote:If you thought Black Friday was over- there's more!

First time ever!
Manager's Specials throughout the store.

Friday 8 am - 2 pm
While supplies last.

Save up to 30% on selected merchandise.

See the incredible selection at walmart.com/blackfriday

And, that URL leads to a page that says the deals will be revealed on Nov. 28:
http://www.walmart.com/cp/black-friday/1076614
The Walmart web page wrote:Come back 11/28 to plan your trip.

Will these specials be good deals that make it worthwhile to go back to Walmart Friday morning?

bj1980
Black Friday Newbie

Re: Walmart's "Manager's Specials"

Postby bj1980 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:33 am

I heard from a manager it will include all Duck Dynasty merchandise (seemed like 20%), some or all small kitchen appliances and some or all clothing and likely other things as well. Last we spoke it was still not finalized.

robb01
Black Friday Pro

Postby robb01 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:09 am

This should be interesting :D

On the Hunt for Great Deals!

schafferfamily5
Black Friday Pro

Postby schafferfamily5 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:03 pm

I was just talking to my sister who works at Wm and she said the Manager's Specials
will all be different at each store. Each store manager was giving x amount of $ to use for this.
So at her store they will make announcement of what the specials will be.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:43 pm

schafferfamily5 wrote:I was just talking to my sister who works at Wm and she said the Manager's Specials
will all be different at each store. Each store manager was giving x amount of $ to use for this.

This is why I browse this forum everyday. Fantastic 4-1-1. I don't expect a customized ad on Sunday, November 24th so I'll have to ask in person how the information will get to the customer.

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:21 pm

Vols44 wrote:
schafferfamily5 wrote:I was just talking to my sister who works at Wm and she said the Manager's Specials

This is why I browse this forum everyday. Fantastic 4-1-1. I don't expect a customized ad on Sunday, November 24th so I'll have to ask in person how the information will get to the customer.

My cousin, who is a WM manager, says that they will be adding an insert into their local paper ad on Thanksgiving morning. The managers at our Walmart aren't sure how they're going to do it yet, but said they're working together so both of our local stores will have the same specials and they can combine advertising costs.

I guess it will be ran differently at each individual WM.

midmofan
Black Friday Pro

Postby midmofan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:09 am

carmenslackey wrote:
My cousin, who is a WM manager, says that they will be adding an insert into their local paper ad on Thanksgiving morning. The managers at our Walmart aren't sure how they're going to do it yet, but said they're working together so both of our local stores will have the same specials and they can combine advertising costs.

That is not something that can really be done as described. Most small to medium city morning papers are actually printed before midnight and given to carriers in the very early am. and the inserts have to be ready to go long before that. Large metro papers begin printing even earler since they are distributed widely -- although they often have several editions that are printed through the night. That is why you often don't see evening sports scores. Papers for holidays such as Thanksgiving are, in many areas, printed a full day in advance. In our city the Thanksgiving paper is printed the afternoon before. FWIW this is also true of the Wed. BF monster paper. They print that up early on Tuesday because 1)there are so many ads there can be problems with the machines that do the inserts and, 2) people go ape if they don't get their BF ads. So, if anything goes wrong, they call in all employees to do emergency stuffing by hand.

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:07 am

I know that. I work as a proofreader for my friend who owns an advertisement firm in a different state. Most of the ads I proof are for future sales, sometimes as far out as 6 weeks in advance, depending on the store. In this case though, my cousin has had his items picked for some time, and the ad is already printed. He's just having the paper throw it in to the edition that will be sent out on Thanksgiving morning. He's in a smaller metro area.

As for our stores' managers, I've heard talk from friends that work there that they may throw it into their usual TV spot throughout the day on Thanksgiving on our local TV stations. They do a 20 second advert every year after most of the national Walmart ads. I suppose what they'll be doing (if the rumor is true) is putting in pictures of what their bigger deals will be, telling people there's more in the store, then showing the locations of the stores involved. I know it sounds weird, but it happens every year around here and because we're in such a small area, it's usually effective. Just to clarify in case of questions as to why they run TV spots, what they usually do in their 20 second spot is advertise some things from the flyer that weren't included in the national Walmart commercials.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:48 am

i'm sure walmart understands how newpapers work.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:15 pm

carmenslackey wrote:
Vols44 wrote:

Certainly makes sense. I expect a district manager who covers the five stores in Springfield, MO and many more in surrounding towns of five thousand people or more will have the same area ad with commonly selected "Managers Specials".

All I'm waiting on now is a map for the store I'll be visiting which should be printable by zip code on Monday.

midmofan
Black Friday Pro

Postby midmofan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:52 pm

The point is, that it is very unlikely that there are any ads can be inserted for next Friday that have not already been planned and printed up and ready to send to the newspapers, at the latest, early next week. Anybody that says the "specials" have not been decided on yet is speaking with forked-tongue.

Return to “Retail Stores”