Black Frid......Thursday

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

raymacfla
Black Friday Pro

Re: Black Frid......Thursday

Postby raymacfla » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:13 pm

happy wrote:What time do you guys have Thanksgiving? There is no way I can be at Walmart that early.... :(

Saturday is the new Thursday.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:13 pm

i love love love love LOOOOVVVEEEEEEEEEEEE the earlier store opening times. i'm not much of a morning person. so much easier for me to stay up later. and i'm usually home by 2-3 am.

this year i'll be with my parents and we won't have anything big planned and now my mom can join us since she has to work the friday morning after thanksgiving.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:48 pm

bfaddict wrote:i love love love love LOOOOVVVEEEEEEEEEEEE the earlier store opening times.

Ditto!! I wish the stores that open early on BF (6, 7am) would follow along and open Thanksgiving night as well! That'd make life much easier. lol
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

suesszq
Black Friday Pro

Postby suesszq » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:18 pm

nikkigirl01 wrote:I love the earlier hours/staggered sales. Last year I was out of Walmart by 8:30 Thanksgiving night with all the toys I wanted and didn't have to deal with the electronics customers or frenzy.

If Kmart stays true to their tradition, they will be open on Thanksgiving Day from 6AM to 6PM for the T-Day deals, close, and then reopen again at 5AM BF morning.

Just a heads up I work at Kmart and they are saying we are staying open 24 hours starting early Thanksgiving day right up till Sun.

pdavis
Black Friday Pro

Postby pdavis » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:46 pm

suesszq wrote:
nikkigirl01 wrote:I love the earlier hours/staggered sales. Last year I was out of Walmart by 8:30 Thanksgiving night with all the toys I wanted and didn't have to deal with the electronics customers or frenzy.

If Kmart stays true to their tradition, they will be open on Thanksgiving Day from 6AM to 6PM for the T-Day deals, close, and then reopen again at 5AM BF morning.

Just a heads up I work at Kmart and they are saying we are staying open 24 hours starting early Thanksgiving day right up till Sun.

really? I wonder if that means we can pick up the stuff that will be on sale and just walk around with it until sale time?
I'm addicted!

nikkigirl01
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikkigirl01 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:20 am

suesszq wrote:

WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That means no more waiting in the friggin freezing Kansas night air for Kmart to open BF morning!!!!!!!!! I will only have to do it once for T-Day....

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Stores are leaving themselves open and having multiple sales so people can pick and choose when and where to go. If you don't like it stay home and try your luck with the electronic shopping cart glitches. BF isn't for everyone.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:26 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
bfaddict wrote:i love love love love LOOOOVVVEEEEEEEEEEEE the earlier store opening times.

Ditto!! I wish the stores that open early on BF (6, 7am) would follow along and open Thanksgiving night as well! That'd make life much easier. lol

yea i always miss out on the early morning office supply stores cause i'm back in bed :( last year a few stores had some good itunes card deals and i couldn't get to any of them.

there are still plenty of people that make shopping friday a big event.

zack54attack
Black Friday Amateur

Postby zack54attack » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Last year wasn't so bad. I feel like hours of stores were spread out last year and hopefully will be this season too. Walmart had different sales hours so that worked out well. The local mall opens at midnight so I can kill time there along with Target and Best Buy...

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:22 pm

last year my friend and i had to go eat dinner to waste some time between a few stores opening. that was kinda nice.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:32 am

I'm still undecided if I like the earlier times. I do think it's very unfare for those who have to work to not get to enjoy their Thanksgiving. 10pm, okay, but I still think 8pm pushes it.
My husband has to work for a few hours every Tday morning <he works with horses>, so we usually stay home. I haven't gotten to spend Tday with my family in probably 7 years as they all live 3-4 hours away, and now my dad lives at least half a days drive away :(

But, it still kind of makes things run too close together for me. I get up Tday morning and usually head to Kmart for their sale, then to the grocery to pick up anything I'd forgotten <there is always something lol>, and a newspaper. Go home, start the turkey, and spend all morning cooking, while listening to the Tday parade on tv.
I try to plan on eating around 2-4pm, well as soon as I can get it all done. Clean up, then usually my husband's brother/his family come over to eat, and visit. But, it feels so rude to have to get up and leave while they are still eating :(

This year I am taking my 12 year old son with me. He wants to buy an Xbox with $$ he earned selling his 4-H market goat. So this year I do have to plan my shopping around the fact I promised he could get it. He went with me last BF, and that's all he talks about right now, as if I am going to forget lol

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:32 am

I hate the earlier times but I have said it many times.

I loved getting up on Thanksgiving as a family, football, cooking day - having fun, playing games and just a great time...even it included resting.

Then as the evening rolled around was when the ads came out and then off to bed to get up early. However, we seem to keep having this discussion in may different iterations on these boards! :lol:

The truth is BF is changing, in my opinion not for the better, because I think retail is just pushing the limit until eventually one day (not now) but one day they would love to be open 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. They are hurting and thinking of anyway to try to create a demand for people to get into the store.

It may work for some, but personally not for me. And I have worked retail and unfortunately, I have never met anyone who was "very" happy about this :mrgreen: Yet, we wait and see!

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:39 am

I think stores are probably doing very well considering economic conditions at least foot traffic wise. People are shopping late on the Thanksgiving and then they get the usual "Friday" crowds. So they are getting two different groups of shoppers versus the previous everyone out on the original BF.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:50 pm

but what about all those other places where people have to work on thanksgiving? gas stations... hotels... hospitals... among the other 'on call' positions.
i just think it's crap people whine about the retail workers. i was a retail worker once and my store was open ALL DAY on thanksgiving - the only day it was closed was xmas. i knew what i was getting in to. so i don't feel sorry for them.

ikey2
BFads Tin Man

Postby ikey2 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:39 pm

bfaddict wrote:but what about all those other places where people have to work on thanksgiving? gas stations... hotels... hospitals... among the other 'on call' positions.
i just think it's crap people whine about the retail workers. i was a retail worker once and my store was open ALL DAY on thanksgiving - the only day it was closed was xmas. i knew what i was getting in to. so i don't feel sorry for them.

thanks for bringing that up. it is true how people get stuck on retail workers are the only ones working. As a person that's worked Call center in the past we always had to work no mater if it is a holiday or not. Another way to look at it is always thousand other people that would be happy to work retail since they don't have a job right now.
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

Return to “Retail Stores”