Walmart Planning Biggest Black Friday Event Ever

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

ikey2
BFads Tin Man

Walmart Planning Biggest Black Friday Event Ever

Postby ikey2 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:50 am

Per the BFADS homepage. So what do you think about this news?

Walmart has just announced that they are planning on having their largest Black Friday sale ever, hoping that a strong Black Friday will propel them into a very profitable fourth quarter.

Boasting that their planned marketing voice will be 50% greater than that of their closest competitor, Walmart is expecting over 25 billion media impressions this holiday season - including prominent TV ads during the three Thanksgiving Day NFL games (the highest viewed Thanksgiving TV programming).

Walmart also has a renewed focus on e-commerce, as CEO Mike Duke stated that Walmart's biggest opportunity is "winning the intersection between physical and retail," while noting that e-commerce has grown 30% globally for the first half of the year.

What does this mean for Black Friday consumers? Outside of the traditional door busters and roll backs, which are expected to be even greater this year, Walmart has set itself up in prime position to announce "secret" in-store and/or online sales. Secret Black Friday sales are not something we've seen done since Best Buy did it in 2008, but they are definitely a possibility, especially given Walmart's prime NFL spot.

Additionally, Walmart has been one of the long hold-outs of having both their in-store and online Black Friday sales at the same time. Many retailers will start their online Black Friday sale at 12:01am Thanksgiving Day, so as to not conflict with their in-store sale. (Kohl's went a step further last year and started their online Black Friday sale on Wednesday morning.) With more attention turned towards e-commerce, maybe we see the online Walmart sale start a bit earlier this year.
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

ikey2
BFads Tin Man

Re: Walmart Planning Biggest Black Friday Event Ever

Postby ikey2 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:53 am

This might be a great step for them IMO, the only part that scares me is if they do a bigger push it gets even more people into Walmart. The few i go to are so saturated as it is don't need more people in the stores lol.
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

pdavis
Black Friday Pro

Postby pdavis » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:51 am

I just wish they would allow layaway on bf like kmart does.
I'm addicted!

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:56 am

pdavis wrote:I just wish they would allow layaway on bf like kmart does.

I am sure it would help a lot of people out, but, I am thinking, that would be a nightmare, with the crowds in the store,
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:57 am

ikey2 wrote:This might be a great step for them IMO, the only part that scares me is if they do a bigger push it gets even more people into Walmart. The few i go to are so saturated as it is don't need more people in the stores lol.

Means less people in the other stores :D
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

ikey2
BFads Tin Man

Postby ikey2 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:36 am

lwmjr wrote:
pdavis wrote:I just wish they would allow layaway on bf like kmart does.

I am sure it would help a lot of people out, but, I am thinking, that would be a nightmare, with the crowds in the store,

Yea think the mentioned this last year it would cause to many issues. I think KMart use to allow it and when it would cause so much trouble they stopped it.
Hester, Pat

Andy Rooney

mommyofanangelbaby
Black Friday Pro

Postby mommyofanangelbaby » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:03 am

Yes! Bring it in Walmart!! :D

BeachGirlShops
Black Friday Pro

Postby BeachGirlShops » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:10 am

I am so ready for good deals on good stuff. I just hope they can maintain order and have decent supplies. I am lucky to have at least 5 Walmart stores close to me. The last 3 years it has been fairly easy to get in and out as long as you have a plan and a partner. I cannot imagine ever working there on BF or really during the holidays.

Ran_Eric09
Black Friday Pro

Postby Ran_Eric09 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:16 am

This is so exciting! It means more people at the start times, but if there are better deals, then a little planning and getting there early will prevent someone else getting what you want! There are 3 walmarts in my town and 2 more within 20 miles. Usually if I am looking for things like pjs or other small items, I can go back through an hour or two after the start time and find these things stuffed in corners and shelves, or the checkout lanes. People just grab in the frenzy and then decide what to keep while waiting to check out.

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:48 am

It sounds promising, but we will have to wait and see.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:27 am

Ran_Eric09 wrote:This is so exciting! It means more people at the start times, but if there are better deals, then a little planning and getting there early will prevent someone else getting what you want! There are 3 walmarts in my town and 2 more within 20 miles. Usually if I am looking for things like pjs or other small items, I can go back through an hour or two after the start time and find these things stuffed in corners and shelves, or the checkout lanes. People just grab in the frenzy and then decide what to keep while waiting to check out.

:lol: Yes, it is like, a feeding frenzy :lol:

candycanegirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby candycanegirl » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:05 pm

This makes me want to find other stores to shop at. Only because my town has 1 store - there are 2 others, but they are 20+ miles away. The year before last, the entire store was shoulder to shoulder. They don't enforce the fire code & it's the craziest thing I have ever witnessed.

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:31 pm

The comment about fire codes reminded me of this;
http://stuffistolefromtheinternet.com/v ... is-coming/

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Kaelha wrote:The comment about fire codes reminded me of this;
http://stuffistolefromtheinternet.com/v ... is-coming/

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks for posting, I had to watch it again.

Return to “Retail Stores”