Macy's Black Friday Sale Starts at 8pm Thanksgiving Day

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

ikey2
BFads Tin Man

Macy's Black Friday Sale Starts at 8pm Thanksgiving Day

Postby ikey2 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:16 pm

one of the first official start times has been announced. The Bfads home page posted this

Breaking a 155 year-old tradition of being closed on Thanksgiving Day, Macy's has announced that their Black Friday 2013 sale will begin just after Thanksgiving dinner at 8pm Thursday night, with stores remaining open for 24 straight hours.

The 8pm Thanksgiving Day start matches the early starts from last year's Sears, Toys R Us and Walmart Black Friday sales (Target started at 9pm), which makes you wonder if other stores are preparing even earlier starts this year. There's not too much leeway before these sales start to directly conflict with traditional Thanksgiving festivities, which might make for an interesting battle this year.

Not everyone will be able to participate in these early Black Friday sales though, as certain states and townships still have blue laws, dating back to the 17th Century, which prevent retail stores from being open on Thanksgiving. In the past, these laws have forced retailers in the affected areas to push back their sales until at least 12:01am Black Friday morning.

Are these early Black Friday sales ruining the sanctity of Thanksgiving or is a turkey dinner (or Hot Pocket equivalent) in a parking lot with a bunch of strangers an interesting homage back to the true meaning of Thanksgiving? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!

Thanks for visiting and tell your friends!
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: Macy's Black Friday Sale Starts at 8pm Thanksgiving Day

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:33 pm

I stated this year before last, and I'll state it again. Thanksgiving Day is the new Black Friday. Macys, Staples, Walmart, that's just 3 I can think of from the top of my head that's starting before 9pm on Thanksgiving. Wait until all store times are released. I bet there won't be many at all that open after 2am on BF.

Personally, I LOVE it!!!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:53 pm

They show, no respect for football, :lol: :lol:
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:26 pm

There's not a Macy's near me, but I can understand why they've decided to do this. I expect we will see more of this as the date comes closer.

Seanjohnsn
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Seanjohnsn » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:15 pm

I would prefer they all open on Tgiving. I sit inline at BestBuy and that would allow me to go home 12 hours earlier :-)

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Seanjohnsn wrote:I would prefer they all open on Tgiving. I sit inline at BestBuy and that would allow me to go home 12 hours earlier :-)

WHY????
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

taragriffis
Black Friday Pro

Postby taragriffis » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:40 pm

Seanjohnsn wrote:I would prefer they all open on Tgiving. I sit inline at BestBuy and that would allow me to go home 12 hours earlier :-)

You might get to go home 12 hrs earlier but you would also have to go sit in line that much earlier

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:44 pm

taragriffis wrote:

You might get to go home 12 hrs earlier but you would also have to go sit in line that much earlier

:lol: :lol: That's the truth.

Seanjohnsn
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Seanjohnsn » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:01 pm

The line at Best Buy did not start earlier last year just because they opened earlier. In actuality it wasn't as full as early; but I would say that was more because the sales were not as good as previous years.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:07 pm

How did Macy's thread, turn into Best Buy

Return to “Retail Stores”