The death of Black Friday as we know (knew) it?

Moderator: lwmjr

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Re: The death of Black Friday as we know (knew) it?

Postby Kaelha » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:45 am

I feel the same way. Nothing is more important to me than family time and I will not leave the house to shop on TG. I miss the 4-5 am opening times too. I can't do anything about it though, change happens. The past two years, I decided that I would check the online deals on TG night after company has left and then headed out in early morn to see what I could get from B&M stores. I understood that I would likely miss some of the deals and I was okay with that. Surprisingly, I still found a few things on my list. I rarely go for the big ticket or hottest items anyway, so it's not a huge deal for me.

I will do the same this year.

Michael
The King

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:45 pm

This is a very good post and great insight.

The thing is, retailers will adjust their Black Friday strategies according to both online and in-store success, trying to achieve a perfect balance between the two that maximizes sales through both channels.

Retailers want people in the stores. Online Black Friday sales were a way for retailers to capture people who had little-to-no intention of participating in the in-store sales. If retailers see consumers foregoing in-store sales to stay at home, I would not doubt that we see less of an online selection the following year.

Also, there's the entire experience of going to a Black Friday sale. I equate it to going to a football game. Sure, you can watch the game at home from the comfort of your couch, but that does not compare to actually being in the stands and watching the game live. Same with Black Friday shopping. You can shop online and get most (if not all) the items you wanted, but you lose the in-store excitement.

taragriffis
Black Friday Pro

Postby taragriffis » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:58 pm

I only make a few purchases each black Friday online if any! I love the excitement of it all. Last year I got knocked down and stepped on by someone trying to get an item from me, but I'm still going out.

lwmjr
Forum Moderator

Postby lwmjr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Football and food, football and food, and more food, and more football, plus naps, I don't go anywhere. On Thanksgiving.
Last edited by lwmjr on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

HoundAbound
Black Friday Pro

Postby HoundAbound » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:46 pm

:shock: I know the digital world is making shopping so much easier...heck, the screen i'm looking at was purchased from a WM online school start sale and I love the deal i got.... :!: BUT :!: ...there's nothing like the full-bore, plowing thru and piling on that pallet full of $5 blenders! :lol:

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:24 am

I agree, sadly. Last year I did most of my shopping online. I was sad and it lacked :( What are you going to do :?
It just isn't Black Friday when it is Thursday.......

dvsdom
Black Friday Amateur

Postby dvsdom » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:41 am

I'm the same way. I've been doing Black Friday for over 20 years and remember the fun of waiting out in the cold in a line of people, making new friends, and getting great deals.

Last year, I did all of my important shopping online (even days before Black Friday) and then went out around 6 or 7 AM! (Late for last year's BF experience). I didn't have to wait in lines (because everyone had gone to the stores at midnight) and I got good parking spots. The only place I had to wait in line was at Barnes and Noble (because they opened at their normal time). I actually enjoyed the shopping experience! There were still good deals available, the shop clerks were happy the frenzies were over, and I still made it home with a car-load of goodies. :)

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:55 am

I would agree that it is the end of BF as we knew it but I think shopping in the stores at whatever times they start will still prevail at least until the deals start to decline. I believe the evening Thursday hours is about as far as retailers can intrude on thanksgiving without seeing a decline.

I have not had much luck online for BF/Thanksgiving/Cyber Monday except Lowe's. The crowds seemed about the same to me last year and there was no shortage of mile long lines or hoards around a stack of sheets.

midmofan
Black Friday Pro

Postby midmofan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:42 am

Michael wrote:
Retailers want people in the stores. Online Black Friday sales were a way for retailers to capture people who had little-to-no intention of participating in the in-store sales. If retailers see consumers foregoing in-store sales to stay at home, I would not doubt that we see less of an online selection the following year.

This might very well be the case with some stores, but I doubt it with the one I used most last year - Best Buy. I know several who work for BB including a regional manager and they seem often at odds with their on-line division. They view themselves as in competition with their own Web site and belive the Web site "undercuts" the BM stores.

It seems that the on-line division is a totally separate silo that has its own agenda and that the on-line folks are in ascendancy. B&M stores often have no idea what offers or sales or deals are being offered at bestbuy.com or even what coupons have been sent out by the Internet/email people that they are supposed to honor.

Last year my manager friend was totally blown away by the silver member pre BF online offers saying there was no reason for anybody that wanted those doorbuster type items to come into the store. His only consolation was that the store did get a small credit from corporate for delivery and set up.

I also did a lot of shopping on Amazon (big fan of the Prime membership) and they, of course, have no stores to worry about.

I still plan on heading out to retail stores this BF (see what I just did getting this post back to the forum topic! ;-) ) because it is fun but probably won't be spending as much at the B&M retail spots and - with everything all spread out won't be getting the same "rush."

omalkm
Black Friday Pro

Postby omalkm » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:26 am

I think I am going to do most of my shopping online this year.

It's too easy!

Michael
The King

Postby Michael » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:22 pm

midmofan wrote:This might very well be the case with some stores, but I doubt it with the one I used most last year - Best Buy. I know several who work for BB including a regional manager and they seem often at odds with their on-line division. They view themselves as in competition with their own Web site and belive the Web site "undercuts" the BM stores.

It seems that the on-line division is a totally separate silo that has its own agenda and that the on-line folks are in ascendancy. B&M stores often have no idea what offers or sales or deals are being offered at bestbuy.com or even what coupons have been sent out by the Internet/email people that they are supposed to honor.

You go far enough up the ladder, there's someone that coordinates that relationship and they're the person/team that will end up making the call.

CrazyTrain
Black Friday Pro

Postby CrazyTrain » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:26 pm

I don't do too much online BF shopping because I am too afraid that the item will sell out, even though I was able to buy it, and I'll get an email three days later saying, Oops, sorry!!! and then I will have totally missed out.

I love the rush of BF, being out so late with other excited people. Love getting a good deal. Love that it is something different. It's a fun way to save a little money!

raymacfla
Black Friday Pro

Postby raymacfla » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:21 am

CrazyTrain wrote:I don't do too much online BF shopping because I am too afraid that the item will sell out, even though I was able to buy it, and I'll get an email three days later saying, Oops, sorry!!! and then I will have totally missed out.

I love the rush of BF, being out so late with other excited people. Love getting a good deal. Love that it is something different. It's a fun way to save a little money!

Cancellations are all too prevalent, and people on here that tout the online mantra are the exception, not the norm. I have seen the figures grow from year to year, and the latest strategy(hours change) only bolstered those numbers. Black Friday is growing, not shrinking in popularity as the in-store choice for consumers.

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:41 pm

I prefer in store. I like the thrill

midmofan
Black Friday Pro

Postby midmofan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:09 am

raymacfla wrote:
CrazyTrain wrote: Black Friday is growing, not shrinking in popularity as the in-store choice for consumers.

If you look at the numbers, "Black Friday" is growing, BUT the definition of BF has changed. Firstly, a number of retailers as well as news media combined online and in-store sales in their numbers which confuses things. Moreover, the numbers reported for last year were not just for Black Friday but for the whole 4-day weekend Thursday-Sunday. This is just one report from Money Magazine:

Total spending [ number included on-line sales ] over the four-day weekend reached a record $59.1 billion , a 13% increase from $52.4 billion last year, according to the NRF.

The survey found that retailers' push to open stores earlier appealed to customers. Stores like Wal-Mart (WMT, Fortune 500), Toys R Us, Sears (SHLD, Fortune 500) and Target (TGT, Fortune 500), that ushered in customers just as Thanksgiving meals wrapped up, saw a boost. About 10% of this weekend's shoppers were out at stores by 8 p.m. on Thursday and an estimated 28% of weekend shoppers were at the stores by midnight, compared to 24.4% last year.

...not everyone wanted to wait in line. Online sales soared more than 17% on the Thursday of Thanksgiving, followed by a nearly 21% increase on Friday over last year, according to IBM Benchmark. Sales made from mobile devices climbed by 16%, with more than 24% of consumers using mobile devices to visit a retailer's website.

So, while overall sales were up, between online sales and stretching BF time period from Friday to 4-days, the Money survey shows there were actually less people in stores during what most here would argue is the traditional BF time period. This matches my personal experience from last year, far fewer crowds and massive lines at many of the stores. Walmart (where I was gunning for the TV stand) was pretty much emptied out by 1am. The tour of other places showed similar results. Target: dead well before sunrise; Sears: initial rush and fight over the TV deal then thinned out quickly; Best Buy much lower Friday traffic thanks to on-line deals and so on. With all of these however, much higher traffic on Sat and Sunday as then past years as there were deals to be had each day.

All indications are this trend will continue with more stores opening early (waiting for the first pre-Thanksgiving Dinner opening. I can see the ad now: "Guys, get doorbuster deals on the tools you want at Sears while the wife is cooking the gravy...").

Having more deals spread out over 4 days makes sense for the retailers as they don't want people just to rush in, buy the doorbuster then rush out. Also, we all know on-line will continue to grow as it IS easier for many people and the overhead for the retailer is a lot less.

Thus, back to the original point of all of this. I think the days of getting up at 4am, standing out in the dark and cold with a thermos of hot chocolate, splitting shopping lists and mapping out with friends and relatives who will hit what early am openings, then being back in bed by noon on Friday are over.

There will be deals to be had, maybe even better ones than every before, but its not going to be the same or as much fun :(

AND we will need bfads.net more than ever to make sure we know what is happening when and where.

Return to “Retail Stores”