The death of Black Friday as we know (knew) it?

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

midmofan
Black Friday Pro

The death of Black Friday as we know (knew) it?

Postby midmofan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:40 pm

This could very well be the watershed year in what most of us consider the traditional BF retail store experience.

Last year, for the first time since started doing this, I bought almost all of my "BF" items on-line rather than in the stores. It helped that I was a Best Buy super-VIP-customer (thanks to work purchases mostly) so I was able to do a lot of my shopping the Monday before BF. Other sites also had on-line deals that were either as good as doorbusters or, even if slightly more costly, was worth getting a confirmed purchase from the couch instead of a chance to get something at the store. In several instances bought something on-line with the intent of returning it if could get the super deal in the store on BF, but either didn't get to the store soon enough or just decided "the heck with it" and kept the on-line version.

If fact the only real, traditional early-am-retail-store-BF-doorbuster-type deal that I walked away with was a great HDTV stand deal from Walmart. Have to say that that one was like old times -- getting to Wally-world early am, rushing to find the pallet it was on, getting 2 of the last three they had there. Did go to other places during the day and went through the leavings to pick up a few things, but that is not the same.

From what I am gathering, there is going to be even more on-line opportunities this year throughout the week and beyond.

Further, from what I have seen, the stores that opened at midnight did very well so I expect more to do that. And add to that some stores are going to be open on Thursday, either pushing openings to, say 11pm, or opening after dinner time then closing and reopening (staples it seems?). I expect a lot more of that which spreads out the buying times. Lastly, like last year at some places, I think there will be more "doorbuster" type of deals the Saturday and Sunday after BF to draw customers in the whole weekend instead of just rushing in and out or the one item on BF morning.

In short, I think the days of what most of us think as BF are numbered and it is going to turn into a week of on-line and in-store sales and deals where there is no need or advantage to get up at 3am to stand in the cold waiting for a store to open or to coordinate with friends and family to hit all of the places all at the right time.

This might all be a lot better for more people getting good deals, but it won't be as much fun...

Interestingly, this transition is actually going to make BFads.net even more important, since the deals will not just be in the BF ads but also on line and wont be limited to just that one day anymore, so it will be harder to track the best deals and we will need a site like this to keep us informed

chewbacka
Black Friday Newbie

Re: The death of Black Friday as we know (knew) it?

Postby chewbacka » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Well first of all online ordering is easier i will give you that.
But and i'm gonna keep this short most people enjoy black friday cause of the shopping spree feel.
Like me i will always prefer to go shopping in the stores, rather then sit at home in front of a computer ordering.

And if you're speaking about online deals you can get those year round most cheaper then on black friday

But yea me and my wife do this every year its like a tradition shopping then breakfast then home into our hottub

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:17 pm

chewbacka wrote:Well first of all online ordering is easier i will give you that.
But and i'm gonna keep this short most people enjoy black friday cause of the shopping spree feel.Like me i will always prefer to go shopping in the stores, rather then sit at home in front of a computer ordering.

The past few years, its been hit or miss online, some stuff I ordered online, ended up being unavailable, and too late to go to the store.
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

midmofan
Black Friday Pro

Postby midmofan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:20 pm

chewbacka wrote:Well first of all online ordering is easier i will give you that.
But and i'm gonna keep this short most people enjoy black friday cause of the shopping spree feel.
Like me i will always prefer to go shopping in the stores, rather then sit at home in front of a computer ordering.

And if you're speaking about online deals you can get those year round most cheaper then on black friday

But yea me and my wife do this every year its like a tradition shopping then breakfast then home into our hottub

I agree with you that I prefer the "feel" but I don't think we will have that option soon, like it or not.... :(

inthedark
Black Friday Pro

Postby inthedark » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:23 pm

Black Friday is the 1 time of year that I can stand being around people :lol: I go to the stores more to people watch then anything else. If I pick up a good deal then that makes it that much better.

I did get my tv online last black friday tho. One of my best deals so far.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:53 pm

most definitely it's the feeling you get going from store to store.
i'll have to do a lot more online shopping this year which sucks :(

reygato
Black Friday Pro

Postby reygato » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:51 pm

It is fun to go to the stores, to see the items, to check them out in person.......(Hmmm these solid gold bars looked larger in the photo online.....) But other than Walmart for a brief and mostly unmemorable evening (Was I really drinking and shopping?) I was disappointed by the lack of people Friday Morning last year. Although I purchased very little, most shoppers came in at 8 9 or midnight. The rest, like most of the purchases I made, were done online, and they were done at bargain prices.

I plan to have most if not all the shopping wrapped up (so to speak) early again this year. As the extra Money comes in, I will go ahead and grab the items in need.

my kids want a Wii U
The youngest needs a new laptop, the oldest is into lego sets (the huge expensive ones)

The wife and i are just collecting furniture and things for the house, mainly alcoholic beverages of the grape variety....

I forsee that the OP is correct, this could be a big break year for the traditional BF system..
Last years encroachment onto Thanksgiving was not welcome at my house, after all, I am usually too wined up to go out. But clearly not too much to buy online. And I too wanted to guarantee that I was getting certain items, even paying a slightly higher price online for them. I too found bargains galore, starting in early November, and WORD of ADVICE, the Online bargains were BETTER in November than in December.

I will have the laptop, the Legos and the wine basket purchased and paid for before Thanksgiving. And Amazon ALWAYS has wii U, it will be a matter of anticipating a sale at BF vs demand for the new playstation 7 or the XBOX 72000 or whatever new product is hitting the shelves and my wallet between now and Christmas.

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:54 pm

No matter what happens, I do not foresee going out on TG day. I set that day aside for family and won't budge. I will buy online TG evening after guests have left and head out the next morning. I will stop for my traditional double mocha and start my shopping. If I get the deals, great. If I miss out, no worries. I usually do not go for big ticket or hot items anyway.

I also love chatting with people and talking about our deals.

One place I will avoid like the plague this year is JoAnn's. Great deals but took way too much time and I always get stuck behind the women with five carts full of polar fleece. Big mistake last year and I won't make that again. :lol:

ericcartman
Black Friday Pro

Postby ericcartman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:23 pm

Last year, I did nearly all my shopping online, Amazon & Best Buy. Went to Walmart at midnight to grab some cheap DVDs and a couple video games. I only went out Friday morning for one specific deal, which turned out to be a disastrous waste of time. I suspect this year will be about the same. BF has been getting worse and worse the last couple of years.

happyfan
Black Friday Pro

Postby happyfan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:08 pm

Exactly right. It's all about the instant gratification of having the item in hand as opposed to seeing it online and waiting 2-4 days before you get it. It's also about the competitive nature of humans and their primal urges (fist fighting over some cheap item).
While online buying is strong during the week of BF, it's no competition for actual in store sales. While many here hated the Turkey day sales, it didn't matter as millions more who could never go out BF morning (for those who have to work, have school, have young children, whatever) had a chance to experience it. More in-store sales than online purchases proved that. Plus what many don't realize is about 15% of the US doesn't even internet access (and about a third don't have better than dial-up) but nearly the entire population is within a 30 minute drive of a Walmart. So ultimately, while online sales will grow, no company will ever dissolve in-store BF just because there is a demand for in store sales.

raymacfla
Black Friday Pro

Postby raymacfla » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Online sales will always attract the crowd that would never go out anyway. Those that are traditionalists will always go out like clockwork. What you are experiencing is the new growth of business generated by allowing customers that never had the opportunity to shop the holiday a valid reason to make the attempt. Thursday was a brilliant move, and only adds to the experience. there is room for all three events, as shown by the Walmart model. Many of us have been shopping online as a way to pick up the smaller items and avoid cost overruns on Black Friday by spreading out the charges over the week. How many times have you heard of a person at Best Buy who hits their daily max and does not have a back up?

candycanegirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby candycanegirl » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:16 pm

I agree with the original poster.

With Thanksgiving coming so late this year, I'm sure there will be more pre-Black Friday prices that are nearly what you will pay on Black Friday. Cyber Monday will probably have more deals than in the previous few years, also due to the shortened retail season. Add in the lackluster economy, and retailers don't have much of a choice but to offer more deals at different times, in order to drive stronger sales.

There will always be BF traditionalists. But I think more people are realizing that being parked on the couch with a cup of hot cocoa and a laptop at 11pm on Thanksgiving night is just as fulfilling as sprinting through the aisles the minute the doors are opened. I didn't think I would ever say that, but last year I was pregnant and had to shop at home, because the flu outbreak was ridiculously bad where I live. I was bummed about shopping online, but it was a great experience.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:00 am

I try to do, as much as possible online now. In most cases, it is a lot easier.
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

aireialwebb
Black Friday Pro

Postby aireialwebb » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:07 am

I'm in it for the deals and the "scavenger hunt feel" it's nice to get some things online but I love going to the store and finding the needle in the haystack!

brandy919
Black Friday Newbie

Postby brandy919 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:06 am

I refuse to leave the house on TG as well. That's my family time and I spend that time with my son till he's ready to go to bed . We eat dessert at 8 and then watch national lampoons Christmas vacation. That's all tradition and I Am unwilling to budge on that!
However last year I ventured out around 1am and I felt like the whole night was a dud. Everything was picked through and a mess. I hardly got anything i set out for. It was a huge disappointment! I miss the times of black Friday starting at 4 or 5 am. I got plenty of family time, took a nap, hit Dunkin donuts and was in line for 330am . Got awesome deals, it was fun and exciting and I still made it home before my son got up . Sure, Friday was a looong day, but the bargains i got made it totally worth it! Those days are done. Online shopping is OK, however I hate buying online unless I have exact model number, etc. I like to see and feel what I am spending my hard earned money on, ya know? Plus the element of excitement is just not there. Very sad

Hoping at least a couple stores go back to traditional black Friday values. Don't wreck my family time!!

Return to “Retail Stores”