Walmart Black Friday Ad

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Re: Walmart Black Friday Ad

Postby Shopper X » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Two interesting articles on Walmart's Black Friday sale:

An article about Walmart prepares for Black Friday, including the fact that Walmart builds the number of checkout lanes in stores but only fully staffs them for Black Friday sales. Also, "Job candidates were told up front during interviews that everyone works on Thanksgiving and Black Friday. It wasn't some asterisk at the bottom of the employment application. 'Everyone knows about it ahead of time,' [the store manager] said. 'It's out there.'"
http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/r ... ng/2153179

An article about Walmart's aggressive Black Friday plans to "win" against Toys R Us, Best Buy, and Target. "When it comes to holiday sales, winning is everything, Walmart executives said."
http://www.northjersey.com/news/2326171 ... o_win.html

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks, shopper X, Your always, scouring the internet for all its worth :)
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Walmart will win against everyone, except Amazon.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

angelmse
Black Friday Pro

Postby angelmse » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:26 pm

I had a blast and saved a lot of money last year price matching at Walmart, plus I was outa there in 1/2 hour.. Course I got in line 4 hours ahead..lol

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:09 pm

Trotting out an old phrase WM doesn't know how Thursday will go yet. I asked about maps, no clue. Ditto manager's specials. This is from a senor assistant manager. I guess the store or general manager will get around to briefing people Thursday morning ( I hope I kid). Nothing like a plan that comes together five minutes before the first sale starts. :roll:

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:01 pm

sometimes i think they just say "i don't know" to not have to answer any of the questions.
easier to say you don't know instead of having to try to answer a million questions from us crazy customers :)

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:10 am

Vols44 wrote:Trotting out an old phrase WM doesn't know how Thursday will go yet. I asked about maps, no clue. Ditto manager's specials. This is from a senor assistant manager. I guess the store or general manager will get around to briefing people Thursday morning ( I hope I kid). Nothing like a plan that comes together five minutes before the first sale starts. :roll:

The map is on the site...

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:32 am

Does anyone think that Walmart might have adopted a corporate-wide policy of intentionally starting their sales earlier than advertised? I'm pointing out this past Friday's sale as a example.

If so, I sort of have the suspicion that they would be doing it as a crowd-control tactic. Instead of having a huge crowd just waiting around for the official opening time and having the problems that go with it (line jumping, fights, stampedes), the store quietly starts the sale earlier. As shoppers slowly arrive, they start shopping. Instead of a huge rush of shoppers at once, the crowd is dispersed throughout the duration of the event.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:05 am

there was a big piece about them on the news tonight and how they had classes held by region on how to have a better BF and essentially they wanted their employees to understand and be prepared this year instead of feeling like they were playing their first football game starting as QB at halftime at the super bowl...can't remember if it was 40/29 abc or KFSM 5/6 CBS
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

angelmse
Black Friday Pro

Postby angelmse » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:25 am

Shopper X wrote:Does anyone think that Walmart might have adopted a corporate-wide policy of intentionally starting their sales earlier than advertised? I'm pointing out this past Friday's sale as a example.

If so, I sort of have the suspicion that they would be doing it as a crowd-control tactic. Instead of having a huge crowd just waiting around for the official opening time and having the problems that go with it (line jumping, fights, stampedes), the store quietly starts the sale earlier. As shoppers slowly arrive, they start shopping. Instead of a huge rush of shoppers at once, the crowd is dispersed throughout the duration of the event.

Shopper,
Last year was my 1st Walmart BF experience, that I actually waited for. Previous years I was at Target 1st. I got to store 4 hours before sale. They employees and manager were so accommodating I was very surprised. I was inside, manager got me a chair and table to sit, I was in electronics dept, which was great cause bathroom was right there... abt 1 1/2 hrs before sale is when peeps really showed up. The lines for the palleted video games were out the door by the time the sale started. Where I was got really crazy 1/2 before sale, but I was 1st in line, and at exactly the time of the sale, is when the merchandise got handed out/pallets were opened, not 1 second before. I had it easy, I got my 2 items and outa there in 20 mins. As in all stores the big problem was people with overloaded carts or 2 carts even pushing thru the very slim isles, that's where the pushing and shoving came in.
So nope they do not start 1 second early. I must say the number of police in and outside the store really did surprise me.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:43 am

if they were adopting that policy they would not guard the pallets like guard dogs. they would do as tek's store does and let people grab as they like.

Bluey0881
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Bluey0881 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:44 am

Does anyone know how soon the gift card from the doorbuster deal would be activated? Is it mailed seperate, or do I get it in store? I assume I won't be able to use it the same day, huh? :\

harleygirl6363
Black Friday Pro

Postby harleygirl6363 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Bluey0881 wrote:Does anyone know how soon the gift card from the doorbuster deal would be activated? Is it mailed seperate, or do I get it in store? I assume I won't be able to use it the same day, huh? :\

If its anything like walmart they activate it immediately on your purchase. If they do it like target you could purchase the first item that gets the gift card and then use it on the next purchase right away. Im not 100% though I hope they do it that way though would be nice.

nikkigirl01
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikkigirl01 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:46 pm

harleygirl6363 wrote:
Bluey0881 wrote:Does anyone know how soon the gift card from the doorbuster deal would be activated? Is it mailed seperate, or do I get it in store? I assume I won't be able to use it the same day, huh? :\

If its anything like walmart they activate it immediately on your purchase. If they do it like target you could purchase the first item that gets the gift card and then use it on the next purchase right away. Im not 100% though I hope they do it that way though would be nice.

They activate it immediately and you can use it on your very next purchase.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:35 pm

Good to know, Thanks
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

Return to “Official Deal Announcements”