To the person I met at Target in Southern Iowa today

Discuss Black Friday shopping and strategy with your neighbors.

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Re: To the person I met at Target in Southern Iowa today

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:21 pm

trainnut wrote:Long line at Ankeny Kohls but very orderly. The lines at the cashier can get long if you spend too much time shopping.

I called all the Kohls except Jordan Creek because I know I won't go that far out to shop. They all have the red watch. Which after hours of looking at all the carabiner watches online and went into my son's room only to find a new watch box laying on the floor. :x Why does he buy himself so much stuff right before Christmas?

HAHA!

sometimes i'll tell my parents i bought something close to xmas and my dad will say "why didn't you put that on your xmas list?!?!?" ummm cause i didn't want to?? lol

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:49 pm

just checking to see where everyone went and what your experience was??

more interested in how other walmarts in the area handle things. walmart near valley west mall is pretty strict about the pallet items.

valley west target is GREAT. love that place. got there about 45 min before they opened. in and out of the store by 9:15.

trainnut
Black Friday Amateur

Postby trainnut » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:54 pm

We shopped in Altoona Walmart and Target Thanksgiving eve. The Walmart had a lot of people and hoards by the DVDs. There were an excess of employees/security in yellow vests all over the store and by many pallets. I managed to get a sheet set 1/2 hour early, then picked up a Rubbermaid set early. Covered it over with my ads and sweater. Managed to grab a big pile of movies at 8.

I got kicked out of Target's line. I saw my SIL about 5 people from front and we went to talk to her, hoping to get in with her. The guy behind her very politely told me he was going to security if we stayed there. I was very polite and nonconfrontational and said I did not want any big ticket items just pillows, elec toothbrush, etc. He very politely stated he did not think that was fair and again said he would tell security so we went to find end of line. :shock: It was all the way down the front, all down the side and almost to back of building by the storage place. It at least went fast. They let us in by groups. The girls in front of us started running and security stopped them and made them leave.

We slept a few hours...can't go back home when you live an hour away from big city. I hate this split black friday start times. I think if most stores would go to the same start times then the other stores would be forced to do the same.

My hubby went to work and I went to JCP, Younkers, Kohls, Target again, Home Depot, Famous Footwear, Barnes and Noble. Got lots of gifts!!! My biggest problem was being told at JCP that they did not have small appliances at the store...you had to go to JCP home store a block away by Kohls to find the appliances. They were sold out of the crockpot by the time I got there. At least I got pants for my 6'6" son at JCP.

trainnut
Black Friday Amateur

Postby trainnut » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:57 pm

Oh yeah, Walmart in Altoona had freaky lines. Everyone had to go to middle of store in between women's clothing to line up for cash registers. The employees then directed you to a cashier. Very weird. I really did not have to wait in very long lines except for 32 tv.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:54 am

sounds exactly how the 63rd street walmart handled things. even the check out lines - which is really nice. they started doing that last year. 3 years ago it was just a free for all to the registers. i really like the one big line and then they direct you. goes so much smoother. they have to start it so far back because the line gets so long.

even target at valley west had set up their line better than last year. it wove through the front aisles. last year it went through the main (busy) aisles of the store.

that's a bummer about the appliances at JCP. in years past you could get the door buster appliances at the mall store.
i wanted boots and some towels from JCP so i was bummed they didn't open at midnight with the mall :( they always have in the past, even though their ad said they didnt' open till 4 am or later.

my sleep schedule is officially screwed up.... i was up at 10, went up to ankeny around 11 to run some errands and see if there were any goodies leftover. didn't find anything... got home around 3... couldn't help it and took a nap till 5.... and now it's midnight and i'm night tired at all. awesome.

Return to “Local Talk”