Does anyone know how Best Buy responds to line "cutters"

Black Friday 2012 - Retail Store Deals Discussion

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

DivaOfDeals
Black Friday Pro

Does anyone know how Best Buy responds to line "cutters"

Postby DivaOfDeals » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:24 pm

We've been in line since last night around 9:30pm, it was 30 degrees overnight, and 2 people showed up at 8:00pm tonight and cut ahead of us with the rationale that they are "with" the people ahead of us. Does anyone have any experience with these incidents; how do Best Buy employees handle it?

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Re: Does anyone know how Best Buy responds to line "cutters"

Postby bfaddict » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:40 pm

little late - but in these situations it's really up to the store on how they want to handle it. some won't do anything, some will make them leave.
as a group you could try to guilt them into getting out of line, but they can either ignore you or actually feel bad enough to get out of line.

Skye23
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Skye23 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:03 pm

At our Best Buy in Delaware it was largely left to the line to publicly question people's motives, judge them and shame them through heckling and peer pressure. The outside line was pretty good from what I saw at the back section of it. The inside lines were another thing. They stuffed every single person buying any laptop, desktop, computer part of any kind, tablet or e-reader in one big massive line where you couldn't even find out if they had what you wanted or ask a question until you got to the front of the line. People kept trying to pass the line so they could "look". It didn't go over well. The people who were trying to join people didn't get any friendlier of a reception with the exception of children joining parents maybe.

DivaOfDeals
Black Friday Pro

Postby DivaOfDeals » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 am

I can answer this first hand now, for future reference and others... They did nothing about the line cutters, and the other people in line didn't even seem to care. If they missed their doorbuster because of one of them I bet they would have. I was told this matter was up to the police, and the policeman said they didn't break any laws so he couldn't do anything. I asked for a manager but they never came over. Luckily, I got my doorbusters, but someone further back in the line didn't because of them. I think line cutters should be booted to the back of the line!

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:47 am

It really is a case-by-case issue. If 2 folks show up 2 hours before opening and want to "hang out" with their friend in line, that's one thing. But if they start grabbing a bunch of tickets when they start getting handed out, it is quite another. Typically, people who are cutting know that what they are doing will be perceived as taboo by others in line. So if they truly don't have any nefarious motives, and truly are just hanging out with friends, they'll let it be known to others in line around them... something along the lines of "don't worry, we're just hanging out; we're not going to be taking tickets for any of the hot items."

blueredzone
Black Friday Pro

Postby blueredzone » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:32 pm

So what is the difference of having friends join you in line a couple of hours before opening and having a friend stand in line at the cashier for you to get out faster?

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:52 pm

blueredzone wrote:So what is the difference of having friends join you in line a couple of hours before opening and having a friend stand in line at the cashier for you to get out faster?

for one, it's a little more important to get the things they want vs how long they stand in a check out line.

but i do get what your'e saying.
for my friend and i, when we do this both of our items are in line so it's not like one person comes up with a cart full of items later. and we act as one person so we go to the same check out

i've never seen any issues where people had tons of extra people join them in line. the line usually moves just as fast since most places now do the one main line and direct you to a check out.

Return to “Retail Stores”