I need a camera that doesn't suck, suggestions?

Black Friday 2012 - Retail Store Deals Discussion

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

dalgal101
Black Friday Newbie

Re: I need a camera that doesn't suck, suggestions?

Postby dalgal101 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:05 am

I have had the same problem, last camera I got was a panasonic luminex. Pictures were grainy and too slow to take pictures. I have a nice cannon DSLR but need a point and shoot at times. After lots of research I am going to go with a Sony WX150. Can't find any negative reviews, great low light camera which seems to be an issue with many of the BF cameras.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:16 am

Some of the problems with these cameras are, people don't know how to use them ,in general most don't and stick it on auto, or the preset modes <sports, night, landscape, etc.>
IMO those settings shouldn't exsist.
If you want to get the most from your camera, read, and learn how to use it.

On the Canon and Nikon DSLR's <not sure how advance the point/shoot cameras are but they probably have this too...>
I would go with Shutter priority, Aperture Priority or manual. That away those 'fuzzy' pictures can be corrected.
If your taking pics of 'action' you have to be able to get the shutter speed, otherwise you get 'blur.' Shutter Priority you can set your shutter speed, and let the camera set the rest, or you can choose your ISO <in film days that would be your film speed - 200,400, etc.>.
You need to learn what shutter speed, ISO and Aperture are and how they work to get the best from your camera.
People who stick it on a preset or auto expect the best, and so many get disappointed or discouraged....

I'm not the greatest photographer out there, I am self taught, but I typically always shoot in manual, or the two setting above. I photograph horses - horse racing and horse events, so I have to have a fast camera that can handle that stuff, but also know what settings to use since I sometimes deal with horrible lighting conditions.

Sorry to ramble! But I still recommend people take time to understand, because sometimes that 'lousy' camera really isn't lousy :)

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:48 am

azerigold wrote:Some of the problems with these cameras are, people don't know how to use them ,in general most don't and stick it on auto, or the preset modes <sports, night, landscape, etc.>
IMO those settings shouldn't exsist.
If you want to get the most from your camera, read, and learn how to use it.

On the Canon and Nikon DSLR's <not sure how advance the point/shoot cameras are but they probably have this too...>
I would go with Shutter priority, Aperture Priority or manual. That away those 'fuzzy' pictures can be corrected.
If your taking pics of 'action' you have to be able to get the shutter speed, otherwise you get 'blur.' Shutter Priority you can set your shutter speed, and let the camera set the rest, or you can choose your ISO <in film days that would be your film speed - 200,400, etc.>.
You need to learn what shutter speed, ISO and Aperture are and how they work to get the best from your camera.
People who stick it on a preset or auto expect the best, and so many get disappointed or discouraged....

I'm not the greatest photographer out there, I am self taught, but I typically always shoot in manual, or the two setting above. I photograph horses - horse racing and horse events, so I have to have a fast camera that can handle that stuff, but also know what settings to use since I sometimes deal with horrible lighting conditions.

Sorry to ramble! But I still recommend people take time to understand, because sometimes that 'lousy' camera really isn't lousy :)

this probably isn't the thread to ask..... but i try to teach myself the manual settings and i'm not sure if i'm just impatient to learn or just stupid lol
i usually always set mine to 'no flash' because i try to not use the flash whenever possible. even in low light situations.
any tips on how i should go about learning the manual settings or what i should put the dial on and test??
i have a nikon d3000 and will be getting the d5100 on tuesday(hopefully)

i recently rented a lens with a low f-stop (1.4) so i could shoot low light without a flash.. and that lens totally sucked for me... you needed like THE perfect lighting. normal daylight was too bright and inside low light was too dark.
although i did get some good photos on a cloudy day lol

LostinTexas
Black Friday Newbie

Postby LostinTexas » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:18 pm

If you know your mom is used to point and shoot, getting her a camera that is too complex will only frustrate her. As others have stated, as long as you aren't at the absolute bottom of the price range, any of the major brands should do well. Most have easy to use program modes. As to black friday deals, all the camera stores were restricted by the manufacturers from listing the best deals until today. So better choices are available now. Sony is oft-overlooked but makes very nice cameras.

I think the Sony DSC-W690 is a good deal if your budget is really tight. Found it here: http://www.precision-camera.com/sony-cy ... al-camera/ The camera is okay but for the price it's a great deal. Customer reviews on it are nearly all 5 star. Thinking of getting this one for my son who just needs something with better images and creative options than a phone.

The Nikon P510 is super cheap for Black Friday and well-reviewed. http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras ... 36627.html
Starting today it's $130 off (til sat) http://www.precision-camera.com/nikon-c ... al-camera/ For under $300 this camera rocks. My daughter has one of these and uses it in her art classes.

Good luck picking one for your mom.

LostinTexas
Black Friday Newbie

Postby LostinTexas » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:19 pm

I forgot to ad, make sure you can return whatever you buy in case she hates it.

Return to “Retail Stores”