walmart

Black Friday 2012 - Retail Store Deals Discussion

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

kyleg35
Black Friday Amateur

Re: walmart

Postby kyleg35 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:52 am

I got 2 of the 24in tv's and some other items, they had to call the police at our walmart. People were fighting over towels and sheets. It never fails to surprise me. Why don't people just get there in time.

rogue
Black Friday Newbie

Postby rogue » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:11 am

That happened last year at my walmarts here, 2 ladies got in a fight over teh sheets and towels for osme reason, and it was still like 20 minutes till grab time.

crazymomofthree
Black Friday Pro

Postby crazymomofthree » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:16 am

Stock was on the low side at the wm I shopped, but we had great success even with checking out. Glad it's done and got everything I wanted and bought some things that wasn't on my list. Crowded, but nothing like past years.

SoDangPretty
Black Friday Pro

Postby SoDangPretty » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:47 am

so I was SUPER impressed with our Walmart this year (Clearbrook in Roanoke, VA)

We got there at around 6pm, to our surprise, we could walk around and get ANYTHING we wanted right off the pallet, and put it in our cart. I got all the video games we were looking for, Udraw, Wii Skylanders, the mixer and chopper, towels, sheets, crayola set, my list goes on and on..lol. They had lines for the big ticket items, except for some of the TV's that were for the later sales. The 50' Emerson for 298.00 was on a pallet in frozen foods, they had about 9 of them, and they told people they could take them they just had to keep them in their cart til 5am. After we got what we wanted, we were first in the check out line which they had set up in the clothing dept across from each register. At 755, we simply walked straight in a line to the register and checked out. There was no fighting, no yelling, everybody was really having a good time. I gave big Kudos to the management there, they really did a great job!

The best part was I got out in plenty of time to be 1st in line at Kohl's and scored the 2ct Diamond Bracelet for $99! w00t!

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:51 am

SoDangPretty wrote:so I was SUPER impressed with our Walmart this year (Clearbrook in Roanoke, VA)

We got there at around 6pm, to our surprise, we could walk around and get ANYTHING we wanted right off the pallet, and put it in our cart. I got all the video games we were looking for, Udraw, Wii Skylanders, the mixer and chopper, towels, sheets, crayola set, my list goes on and on..lol. They had lines for the big ticket items, except for some of the TV's that were for the later sales. The 50' Emerson for 298.00 was on a pallet in frozen foods, they had about 9 of them, and they told people they could take them they just had to keep them in their cart til 5am. After we got what we wanted, we were first in the check out line which they had set up in the clothing dept across from each register. At 755, we simply walked straight in a line to the register and checked out. There was no fighting, no yelling, everybody was really having a good time. I gave big Kudos to the management there, they really did a great job!

The best part was I got out in plenty of time to be 1st in line at Kohl's and scored the 2ct Diamond Bracelet for $99! w00t!

We went to that Walmart too on our way home last night. I was at our Walmart down here, and my buggy was loaded and ready to go at around 6:15. I checked out and was home and had eaten dinner already by 8:00! lol
There were people coming in as I was going out and you could tell they were mad. Gotta get there early! :) I'm glad Clearbrook turned out good though!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

LarandaW
Black Friday Pro

Postby LarandaW » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:57 am

We got to Walmart early because our cousin (not a BF shopper) ill informed us that ppl had started early....when we got there they hadn't. BUT....it worked in our favor. They allowed us to go ahead and get stuff in the cart and we avoided the mob because it was very calm and organized at the earlier time. But then the masses started to flood......we had parked at a register and had fun watching the ppl run in last minute (Like 7:50pm??? OMG) and they had the FRANTIC look.....you can tell the inexperienced shoppers by their expressions LOL!!!! I walked around and helped people look for stuff. I got MANY compliments on my Bfads shirt. It was fun, no fights in our Walmart atleast not that I know of. Wonder if it'd be safe to go later today for regular Christmas stuff?? :lol:

taragriffis
Black Friday Pro

Postby taragriffis » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:17 pm

I arrived at my Walmart 2 hours and 15 minutes early, scoped things out and then went to PS3 games! I was first one next to Madden 13 and made friends with ppl all around the pallet that was going to grab things for each other, 10 minutes before 8, lots of late showers started to come and try staking claims! We told them Madden was taken by ppl that were there for hrs and they seemed friendly about it ( living in a small community, I'd thought fine of this) As sson as it was time I had atleast 1 girl jump over me from behind, she had me on floor trying to take games out of my hands! Someone knocked her off me and the ppl I made friends with from beginning helped pull me out of the crazy mess! We still had all 6 games and 2 of the guys had grabbed several games that they thought I'd be interested in and handed them to me! I will never start in games again!

bankruptinpa
Black Friday Pro

Postby bankruptinpa » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:06 pm

I am amazed than many people have said good things about Wal Mart!
I can't stand going there! As soon as I walk in the door I can see the bad additude of the people that work there! Its easy to tell they hate working there! Anytime of the day they only have 2 checkouts open where I always have to wait in line for 30 mins, if you ask for help they just give excuses, they refuse to sell any local made products, they refuse to match prices, they always have another excuse.
They never say "Thank You" once I asked for a thank you and they said "thank you" was printed on my sales slip!
the next time I will ask for a "Thank You" BEFORE I pay for my purchace, if I don't get one I will walk out without my purchace and they can restock it themselves!
I don't know if its the management or the employees fault, I don't care! I don't own it and I don't work there,,,, but watching the national news with Wal Mart workers going on strike and walking out I tend to blame management for their problems. Just like the local Wal Mart says they employ 560 workers but they don't tell you 475 are part time employees!
A typicial manager of Wal Mart is fake-pretend friendly,,, they sold their soul a long time ago,,,,, they feel they have enough business they can afford to lose a few customers,,,

dkst0426
Black Friday Pro

Postby dkst0426 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:15 pm

Back for my annual couple-of-weeks stint on this board :lol:

I was VERY impressed at my local WM yesterday. Showed up at 6:30 p.m. They had plenty of staff (and more than a handful whom I spoke to said they were there voluntarily, unlike what the social media labor activists will tell you) available, all had bright-colored vests on for easy ID, things were laid out with plenty of space in the main walkways/"action alleys" (learned a new term last night). Only real issue I might have had was that a couple of items were not placed in the right category of the store (e.g. a couple of toys were near the pharmacy/housewares).

Lines had already formed for the slow cookers, fire pits, towels, and of course electronics and DVDs/CDs/games.

My priority was the $29 storage ottoman. I set up station right next to its pallet along with one other woman. Sandwiching that pallet was the Eureka vacuum and the TV stand, so with people already waiting for those, we were fine since they would be "blocking" for us one 8:00 hit. Target #2 was the Ottlite craft caddy lamp, which was in the same section 3-4 pallets up, but unfortunately located right next to the slow cookers and coffee makers. I had slight concern that I might not make it through that in time. From there, I would've had to double back to toys and shoot for the Princess activity set and the Fisher-Price remote control construction set. The construction set was easy to find, but I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get to it in time. I had purchased it online at its regular price Tuesday night just in case. I couldn't find the Princess set until I was pointed towards the guns/sporting goods section. Well, duh, of course I should've thought to look there first for a crafts/activity set for little girls. :o

As we got closer to 8:00, the crowd started to pick up around us because the XBox line was going through the pet section (we were in front of the paint area). My plan had been to get the ottoman, scoot up to grab the lamp, cut through pets/hardware to get the Princess set in the back corner, then try for the construction set. That's I was a bit worried when I saw the XBox line.

Shortly after 7:50, we start joking and asking the sales associate watching us if we could go ahead and poke some holes in the plastic to help that part of the process along at 8. She laughs and tells me "Nice try." We have idle chatter with the associate for a bit, then all of a sudden, another associate across the way yells at the one I was talking to, saying "Look! LOOK!" and she's pointing up towards the slow cookers/coffee makers. Sure enough, someone jumped the gun. :roll:

The group of us around the tv stand, ottoman, vacuum cleaners, and shop vac actually hesitated for a few seconds, then the associate I had been talking to finally said "Well, we can't stop you at this point." Grabbed the top ottoman, passed it down to a little old lady who had asked me if I'd help her get one into her cart, grabbed my own, then pushed off towards the madness that was the small appliances. The few seconds I was behind them must have helped, because I managed to weave through and reach down for the lamp. Cut straight across, and thankfully the XBox line had moved quickly, so I was clean through to sporting goods and got the Princess set. Then it was time to attempt to navigate the toy section. Piddled along slowly and finally got to the spot, and hooray, I got the next-to-last construction set.

Unfortunately, because of the direction I was facing, I had to move on towards electronics, and it was a zoo. No big pushing and shoving (the 3 cops and numerous yellow vests probably helped), just a whole lot of people aiming to get the same thing. Took a right, headed back up to housewares to see if there were any more towels left, but they were gone. No biggie, that wasn't a priority anyway. Took a left from there and boom, the Disney storybooks were right in front of me. With 4 little kids at home (my oldest just turned 5), I figured why not, and grabbed one for each.

Got some PJs for the kids, walked back through toys one more time (things had settled down a whole lot by then), and grabbed the Discover house and castle sets.

By 9:15, checkout was easy. The line for the 10:00 TVs and printers was already forming, and I wanted no part of that. Why anyone wanted to be a part of that for a 32" Emerson is beyond me. Not to be a tech snob, but 4 rows of people snaking through the grocery aisles for that? Seriously? Headed to Customer Service after checking out to see what was in the return carts, and got one of the Brother sewing machines.

I was slightly bummed the Crayola colorwheels were gone, but when I went back in the morning at about 8, there was one sitting in one of the return carts up front. :D Also got an 8 gig SD card and a 16 gig memory stick.

All told, including waiting, I was there last night for 3 hours, and then back for about an hour the next morning.

I am full of kudos for this Walmart's planning and organization. I've already seen the video of the brawling over phones at a WM that is going viral on YT, and it's a pity that smooth operating like this one's won't go viral. Leave it to a few bad apples to spoil it for the rest of us. :evil:
Last edited by dkst0426 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:17 pm

our walmart was guarding the pallets again this year. UGH.
i was standing by the ottomans for like an hour. finally a lady who also wanted one convinced me to grab one early (about 20 min) and then i went to go stand up by the sewing machines. people started grabbing them. then a walmart guy started yelling at people so the rest of us stayed there. he told some guy who barely spoke english to watch the stack. i tried to grab one and he saw me. my watch said 8 so i asked him if it was ok. he looked at his phone and his phone said 7.58. UGHHHHH.

so stupid. yet you see people walking around with their carts full of 8 pm stuff.

my store also lined people up for at least the Wii games. not sure about the others but i'm kinda thinking they did. my friend was in line for the wii games and she said they let 5 people go at a time to get the games.

there was also an employee that had a seizure by the wii games. my friend was worried the EMTs weren't going to be gone by the time 8 pm came cause they were blocking their access to the games lol

but i got my ottoman and sewing machine! :D

dkst0426
Black Friday Pro

Postby dkst0426 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:22 pm

We had announcements over the PA every 5 minutes giving us an update. A couple of people said their watches/phones were showing a couple of minutes faster, but all the sales associates told us the PA time was "official time." They also made numerous announcements to put items back on pallets - we even saw one person who grabbed a shop vac get walked back to the pallet by a staffer with a cop trailing. They did let him stay in line for it, though.

It's pretty clear every year that there is no particular standard procedure for all stores. There really needs to be one beyond "Let 'em go, ring 'em up."

Glad the employee was ok. That's scary. Enjoy the ottoman and sewing machine, too! I know my son seems to enjoy napping in the ottoman ( :shock: ) and my wife will enjoy the sewing machine.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:19 pm

dkst0426 wrote:We had announcements over the PA every 5 minutes giving us an update. A couple of people said their watches/phones were showing a couple of minutes faster, but all the sales associates told us the PA time was "official time." They also made numerous announcements to put items back on pallets - we even saw one person who grabbed a shop vac get walked back to the pallet by a staffer with a cop trailing. They did let him stay in line for it, though.

It's pretty clear every year that there is no particular standard procedure for all stores. There really needs to be one beyond "Let 'em go, ring 'em up."

Glad the employee was ok. That's scary. Enjoy the ottoman and sewing machine, too! I know my son seems to enjoy napping in the ottoman ( :shock: ) and my wife will enjoy the sewing machine.

yea it's bizarre. we go to the same walmart every year. 3 years ago we were allowed to grab items, and stand in the checkout line before the ad time. that year they also rang us up before the 'official' time. (which i think was midnight). then last year they went all security nuts and wouldn't let people grab anything.

kyleg35
Black Friday Amateur

Postby kyleg35 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:23 pm

After the fighting for towels and sheets, people mobbed the video games. The big pallets were protected. We were third in line and they handed us a ticket, with up to 6 allowed of the tv's..Then one at a time at 10pm, they brought us up. That was the only civilized part of our walmart.lol..No grabbing things early in carts etc, but then again this is houston. Some pallets were ravaged by removing the shrink rap and people grabbing things..lol..I was happy all in all got everything I went out for. The first year that has ever happened..

barbd00
Black Friday Pro

Postby barbd00 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Our Walmart (which is the best in the area, sadly) had two mass fights/riots. One over Garmins for the 10pm sale and one for the video games/controllers at the 8pm sale. After the fight at the 8pm sale, you'd think they'd learnt and tried a new method for the Garmin. :roll:

Our pallets here are well controlled and you cannot get into them until the time, and then it was a bit insane. A few small fights I saw over picture frames -- ones that were STILL there when I came back at 8ish this morning :roll:

Poor me was near the Garmin wanting another item and my daughter was down the aisle near another almost riot over the Straight Talk deal. It was her first Black Friday (She's almost 18, I'm not one of THOSE parents), and someone tried to elbow her out of the way for the MP3 player and another tried to take it out of her hand. She held her own. And then walked through the riot over the Garmins (talk about a parent having a heart attack!!)

Their 5am sale was such a bust there was still about 6 pallets of items NEVER opened, not even holes poked in. :lol:

dkst0426
Black Friday Pro

Postby dkst0426 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:04 pm

bfaddict wrote:
dkst0426 wrote:3 years ago we were allowed to grab items, and stand in the checkout line before the ad time. that year they also rang us up before the 'official' time. (which i think was midnight). then last year they went all security nuts and wouldn't let people grab anything.

I remember that year well - people were walking out with doorbusters when I showed up at 10:00, and I smelled a rat. I didn't end up missing out any anything I was looking for, but I can imagine why people would have been (rightfully) upset.

The current situation is pretty much their response to it. It's probably easy to do on the tech end, but I wouldn't want to have to put a smooth running of BF all in the hands of a pricing system set to update at a certain time on that night, of all nights.

Return to “Retail Stores”