looking for a BF gaming computer

Black Friday 2012 - Retail Store Deals Discussion

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

gcaricc
Black Friday Pro

looking for a BF gaming computer

Postby gcaricc » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:59 pm

I am looking for a desk top gaming computer on bf my budget is $650.00 with tax excluding the monitor if need be, looking for the best bang for my bux[b][/b]. Thanks!

keeleon
Black Friday Pro

Re: looking for a BF gaming computer

Postby keeleon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:10 am

Do you know how to build a computer? Your best bet is going to keep an eye on Newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com for parts. Prebuilt by a named manufacturer is nice, but if you buy the parts individually, you can save several hundred. Of course this means a LOT more research and knowledge...

infinitespecter1
Black Friday Amateur

Postby infinitespecter1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:36 pm

If you can extend your budget by $50, the Dell XPS 8500 that will be on sale at Dell online is a good deal.

yamaha2000us
Black Friday Newbie

Postby yamaha2000us » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:01 am

I have built several machines over Thanksgiving weekend. $650 Will build you a nice machine any time of year.

CPU/MotherBoard $250
Power Supply/Case $75
Memory 8 gig $30
Hardrive $50
Video Card $100
OS $75

Total $580.

You can go higher/lower.

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:12 pm

I have bought 2 bare-bones systems from Tiger Direct with great results. My husband put both together. We are gamers so they have the top end video, Ram, hard drive. If you know how to do it or someone that can put it together you can find some great deals!!

krazymop
Black Friday Pro

Postby krazymop » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:37 pm

High end PC's don't tend to go on sale much during BF. Putting them together yourself will save you a bit, but when you add up all of the costs you don't save all that much. I would just keep an eye out daily and you'll find something.

gcaricc
Black Friday Pro

Postby gcaricc » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:14 am

After much discussion, my son does not want to build a bare bone PC, and does not even want a gaming PC, he just wants something that he can play and script on Minecraft, play Maple Story with no lag, and make and watch videos with no lag. He said he would rather get a desktop for now that will meet his needs ,and save up for the next 2 or 3 years so he can make, or buy his dream gaming computer.

With the above info, what would you recommend for BF deals that would meet his needs? Thanks for the info!!

nickjr101
Black Friday Pro

Postby nickjr101 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:04 am

So you are looking for a computer for minecraft and maple story on a 650 budget but do not want to build it yourself? well buddy you have given me alot of wiggle room. ok well then lets get you a good base going that you can upgrade over the next few years as you needs evolve(they always do). I have built all of my PCs that I have owned so for what your gonna want to do based on the BF pricing is go with an Intel i3 CPU at least. You will also need to buy and install a separate graphics card since Intel Graphics suck for any type of actual gaming. period. Please do note that the following recommedations are based of pricing i found in the adscans.

If you are lucky I would go with 429.00 one at Best buy: http://bfads.net/Ad/Best-Buy-2012/Page4 complete package after tax is easily under your budget and all you would need is a graphics card and you are done. but lets look a few other options for reasons i have stated below.

Now I do no know if you are like me but I hate shopping at Best Buy on Black Friday( I also hate HP but thats my own opinion). So here is a fallback in case they are out of stock or you do not want to hassle with best buy:

http://bfads.net/Ad/Office-Depot-2012 Specifically Referencing the lenovo at 369.99. Faster Processor (3.4ghz vz 2.5 ghz) and at that price its tower only, so you will need a monitor. To make this an apples to apples comparison we will add a 20 inch monitor for 80 bucks(http://bfads.net/Ad/Staples-2012). Note I am adding this as a reference. you said he would be doing scripting so upgrading to a 23 inch for 109.99 might be a possibility given on what you can find. there are alot of 23 in monitors at that price for BF so you will have to to research and decide on what you want to do. I could not find if a monitor and keyboard were included but that is a small additional cost.

Now lets kick it up a notch, shall we?

take a look at this one here: http://bfads.net/Staples-Black-Friday-L ... M-1-TB-HDD

yes it is a bit more expensive but you upgrade to an core i5 which is the next step up from a core i3. also get 2 more gigs of RAM. again monitor sold seprately. if you score a decent deal on a monitor you could still be under budget, which is good cuz we still need a graphics card.

Now that we got you off the ground, lets get you flying with a graphics card.

based on all the reviews i have seen I would get an ATI Radeon 7750. This will get you started and will work in any of the PCs listed above since it gets all the power from the PCIE port. non BF pricing has once going right now for 89.99 after MIR on newegg( link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102969) so i expect it to be around the same if not lower once newegg/tigerdirect rolls out its BF ads. Will power minecraft and maple story beautifully.

If I were you I would swing the I5 with a 23 inch monitor and the 7750. you will be pushing your budget(right at 650 before taxes) but the core parts will last you a long time if you take care of them.

That processor will punch through all AAA gaming titles to date so it will last you a long time. 8 gigs of ram is a good starting point but next upgrade you will wanna go 16 gigs. I would also get a different case. the cases that these manufacturer put these things in are not very good. I would honestly rip that out first and give your PC a good home once the funds are avalible. Again Newegg or tiger direct would be good sources for those(or any upgrades in general) and just have him pick out a case he likes with good reviews and good airflow. then do the ram. also if you upgrade the graphics card you will most likely need a new PSU but that is all down the road stuff.

hope this helps!

-Nick

gcaricc
Black Friday Pro

Postby gcaricc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:26 am

Wow, Nick, thank you sooooo much, does that ever help!! If you don't mind, I may have ?'s later on. I so much appreciate you taking the time to help me out!!

VerbalI11-23
Black Friday Pro

Postby VerbalI11-23 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:36 am

Yea if you dont build you own get one with a decent processor but also make sure the case has the plugs i doubt they will sell "gaming" pcs at that price the ones on sale for 800 actually has low end graphic cards unless you wanna run games on medium or lower you will need at least mid range graphics card check this chart

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gam ... 107-7.html

Something in the top 11 spots will get you there since i'm running a HD 6750 and i can run diablo 3 on high, battlefield 3 on medium (Overclocked to 6770 specs) and Skyrim on High (some settings medium). If you just want to play less demanding games like minecraft or team fortress or world of warcraft the onboard graphics on the intel chip will probably do fine. Another thing you will definitely have to change for the pre built systems is the power supply most important thing definitely because sub 700 dollar computers usually have psu that are under 500w and these mid range graphics definitely would need at least 500w to be safe (in case you want to overclock).

Also to clarify 8gb of ram should be enough for gaming as gaming is not really that intensive although the core clock of ram might affect gaming a bit for example compare 1333 mhz ram to 1600 mhz (i havent tested) but definitely the amount of ram is not really going to affect gaming but definitely go for the quad core processor (which start at i5, i3 is dual core) because alot of modern games take advantage of four processing cores and its definitely going to affect your performance. For your budget i would agree with nick as the 7750 is similar to mines but more power efficient the next step is a 7770 which imo would run current games better as i'm having problems even running crysis (2007) at full. But that will probably break your budget.

VerbalI11-23
Black Friday Pro

Postby VerbalI11-23 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:11 am

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... fMxqb_NiNg

110 after all rebates add hd 7750, harddrive, windows and other accessories you are good. Check Slickdeals for full details i dunno if i can link to them.

nickjr101
Black Friday Pro

Postby nickjr101 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:24 pm

gcaricc wrote:Wow, Nick, thank you sooooo much, does that ever help!! If you don't mind, I may have ?'s later on. I so much appreciate you taking the time to help me out!!

No problem man, just PM me if you have any questions. I will try to respond ASAP.
VerbalI11-23 wrote:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7406362&Sku=B69-0642&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-B0N7GRoO1wZ9fMxqb_NiNg

110 after all rebates add hd 7750, harddrive, windows and other accessories you are good. Check Slickdeals for full details i dunno if i can link to them.

I would avoid the Tiger Direct deal, imo. that technology is a bit dated for what the OP seems to be looking for or his budget would be a bit lower.

VerbalI11-23 wrote:Yea if you dont build you own get one with a decent processor but also make sure the case has the plugs i doubt they will sell "gaming" pcs at that price the ones on sale for 800 actually has low end graphic cards unless you wanna run games on medium or lower you will need at least mid range graphics card check this chart

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gam ... 107-7.html

Something in the top 11 spots will get you there since i'm running a HD 6750 and i can run diablo 3 on high, battlefield 3 on medium (Overclocked to 6770 specs) and Skyrim on High (some settings medium). If you just want to play less demanding games like minecraft or team fortress or world of warcraft the onboard graphics on the intel chip will probably do fine. Another thing you will definitely have to change for the pre built systems is the power supply most important thing definitely because sub 700 dollar computers usually have psu that are under 500w and these mid range graphics definitely would need at least 500w to be safe (in case you want to overclock).

Also to clarify 8gb of ram should be enough for gaming as gaming is not really that intensive although the core clock of ram might affect gaming a bit for example compare 1333 mhz ram to 1600 mhz (i havent tested) but definitely the amount of ram is not really going to affect gaming but definitely go for the quad core processor (which start at i5, i3 is dual core) because alot of modern games take advantage of four processing cores and its definitely going to affect your performance. For your budget i would agree with nick as the 7750 is similar to mines but more power efficient the next step is a 7770 which imo would run current games better as i'm having problems even running crysis (2007) at full. But that will probably break your budget.

eh its only minecraft at the moment. the reason i recommended the 7750 is that it is the fastest card on the market that does not require an external power source(this means you do not have to plug it in to the power supply) since it draws all of its power from the PCIE slot that it is installed to. Now normally the power supplys in the pre built PCs only have enough juice to power whats inside but do not leave room for the additional wattage that a typical mid to high end gpu requires. Since I cannot determine what kind/quality of PSU is in these things i played it safe. Minecraft is not that GPU intensive but when the OP wants to build a gaming computer down the road, depending on what he wants to do with it, he might get away reusing the cpu/mobo and possibly the RAM. He can then upgrade the case(if he has not already.), PSU, and Graphics card and BOOM, breath new life into his computer.

On the subject of ram, I believe most vendors use at least 1333mhz for intel. which is fine for what OP is going to do. going 1333mhz to 1600mhz is not that big of a jump performance wise. If it is 1066mhz then yes we may have a problem down the road. but with the current published info i cannot determine that.

VerbalI11-23
Black Friday Pro

Postby VerbalI11-23 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:39 pm

^yea it really depends on if he wants to plan ahead or if he's settled with minecraft the 7750 is a bit more powerful than my card and my card can run alot of current games fine just definitely not at the highest resolution in the case of battlefield 3, it cant even run at medium with the advanced lighting effects and HDR turned on even when overclocked. So it depends if he's trying to use that budget to upgrade for future games but gaming is more GPU intensive than CPU but definitely a better CPU like the i5 series will help but if you want to "future proof" your graphics card your gonna have to go to a 560 series at least

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814125363

At that budget its not impossible, you just have to skimp a bit on the other components.

gcaricc
Black Friday Pro

Postby gcaricc » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:28 pm

does this look like a good deal? I really am clueless about all this stuff, lol. https://blackfriday.bestbuy.com/door+bu ... 655&loc=01

gcaricc
Black Friday Pro

Postby gcaricc » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:33 pm

wont let me post the link so this is what is inside the box. $449.98
Dell Desktop Tower and 20" LED Widescreen Monitor

Specs:
Processor
Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i5
System Memory (RAM)
8GB
Type of Memory (RAM)
DDR3 SDRAM
Warranty Terms - Parts
1 year
Warranty Terms - Labor
1 year limited
Product Height
14.9"
Product Width
4.2"
Product Depth
17"
Product Weight
7.9 pounds
UPC
Energy Star Compatible
No
Processor Brand
Intel®
Processor Speed
2.7GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz)
Cache Memory
6MB
Hard Drive Size
1TB
Graphics
Intel® HD
Audio
Integrated 5.1-channel
Speakers
None
Network Card
Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet LAN
Wireless Networking
Built-in 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN
Recordable DVD Drive
Yes, DVD±RW/CD-RW
Direct-Disc Labeling
No
Digital Media Reader or Slots
Yes, digital media card reader
USB 2.0 Ports
2 USB 3.0 (rear); 6 USB 2.0 (2 front, 4 rear)
Keyboard Description
USB
Other Control Devices (mouse, etc.)
USB optical mouse
Operating System Platform
Windows
Operating System
Windows 8
Operating System Bit Version
64-bit
Software Included
CyberLink Media Suite Essentials and more
ENERGY STAR Certified
No
Best Buy PC App
No
HDMI Output
Yes
Blu-ray Player
No
Graphics Chip
Intel
DND_Operating_System_Version
Windows 8
DND_services_03
Yes
DND_Model_Family
Inspiron
DND_Condition
NEW
Drive Capacity
1TB
Description:

Dell Inspiron Desktop - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive
Power cord
USB keyboard, USB optical mouse
Software: CyberLink Media Suite Essentials and more
Owner's manual

3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-3330s processor
Features a 6MB cache and 2.7GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz.
Intel® Core™ i5 processor
Features smart 4-way processing performance with a speed boost.
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
Automatically speeds up your processor when your PC needs extra performance. Intel® HD graphics are built into Intel's smart new processors.
8GB DDR3 SDRAM
For multitasking power.
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
Create custom DVDs and CDs.
1TB hard drive (7200 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
Intel® HD graphics
For lush images with intricate detail. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.
8-in-1 media reader
Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, SDXC, microSD, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card formats.
2 USB 3.0 and 6 USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity.
Built-in Dell Wireless 1506 LAN (802.11b/g/n)
Connect to the Internet without wires.
Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet LAN
For quick and easy wired Web connection.
Microsoft Windows 8 Home 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
Software package included
With CyberLink Media Suite Essentials and more.

Return to “Retail Stores”