Kid friendly tablets

Black Friday 2012 - Retail Store Deals Discussion

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

Cynthia
Black Friday Amateur

Re: Kid friendly tablets

Postby Cynthia » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:03 am

Hi TexasDealGirl,

I just purchased the Nabi 2 and went through it yesterday and it has a feature called Zooz kids University which has math, science, english, and social studies courses for ages up to 5th grade. I also downloaded the Amazon Store app to be able to download the same apps that you would download on the Kindle Fire. My boss brought in her son's Kindle Fire for me to compare with the Nabi and I really like the Nabi but I also think that you couldn't go wrong with either considering they are the same price and both use the Amazon App store. I do think the Zook University would be beneficial because it will give you his scores and areas where he excels and/or need improvement and he can continue using courses he really enjoys so it's a great feature for middle school kids too. Go to the Nabi 2 website, it will give you a lot of info and well as their Facebook page. Hope this helps.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:15 am

TexasDealGirl wrote:All of your comments are so interesting. I'm debating between a Nabi 2, Kindle Fire, or nook for my sons 8th birthday in Feb. He's a repeating first grader, and seems to struggle with anything techie. I like the Nabi 2 but not sure how long it will last him as his IQ is high, its getting it out there thats the problem. I havent played around with the Nabi, what age range would you suggest on the Nabi 2? Personally I like Kindle Fire but not sure how he would like it.

My thing is this, if the kid is 8, 9, 10 years old, why waste money on a kid tablet or computer, when they're going to be "getting into" the real stuff within a year or 2? Why not go ahead and get something that the kid can use for a while, and not just a year or 2? My son has had a computer in his room since he was 5 and can do just about anything on it. He needs to learn the technology, learn how to operate it, learn what to do and not to do, etc. Yes, his Internet goes through a filter I have setup so he's not in his room looking at things he shouldn't be but he gets to learn how to use it and operate on it. Same goes with a tablet, he is getting a Samsung Galaxy tablet from Santa this year (as am I, and my wife) but he'll be able to play on it and do whatever he wants. Again, his surfing will go through a filter so he can't be looking at things he shouldn't be. He'll be able to learn how to download games, do homework on it, whatever. The device(s) can grow with him and he can use it for school work and everything, not just some child toy that he'll grow out of soon.

Just my thoughts. ;)
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

crazymomofthree
Black Friday Pro

Postby crazymomofthree » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:13 am

Cynthia wrote:Can someone tell me how to add the Amazon store app on my Nabi 2 tablet?

Thanks.

I don't know how to do anything with the nabi yet, but in all my searches I did see there are some videos on how to add the amazon app on you tube. I'm still trying to get ours to connect to our wifi.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:46 am

teknoge3k wrote:
TexasDealGirl wrote:All of your comments are so interesting. I'm debating between a Nabi 2, Kindle Fire, or nook for my sons 8th birthday in Feb. He's a repeating first grader, and seems to struggle with anything techie. I like the Nabi 2 but not sure how long it will last him as his IQ is high, its getting it out there thats the problem. I havent played around with the Nabi, what age range would you suggest on the Nabi 2? Personally I like Kindle Fire but not sure how he would like it.

My thing is this, if the kid is 8, 9, 10 years old, why waste money on a kid tablet or computer, when they're going to be "getting into" the real stuff within a year or 2? Why not go ahead and get something that the kid can use for a while, and not just a year or 2? My son has had a computer in his room since he was 5 and can do just about anything on it. He needs to learn the technology, learn how to operate it, learn what to do and not to do, etc. Yes, his Internet goes through a filter I have setup so he's not in his room looking at things he shouldn't be but he gets to learn how to use it and operate on it. Same goes with a tablet, he is getting a Samsung Galaxy tablet from Santa this year (as am I, and my wife) but he'll be able to play on it and do whatever he wants. Again, his surfing will go through a filter so he can't be looking at things he shouldn't be. He'll be able to learn how to download games, do homework on it, whatever. The device(s) can grow with him and he can use it for school work and everything, not just some child toy that he'll grow out of soon.

Just my thoughts. ;)

Sometimes you have to look at individual kids ability
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

Return to “Retail Stores”