Kid friendly tablets

Black Friday 2012 - Retail Store Deals Discussion

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

dracos
Black Friday Amateur

Re: Kid friendly tablets

Postby dracos » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:35 am

maj0819 wrote:The Walmart Black Friday ad shows the Nabi 2 8GB for $129. By far the lowest I have seen. Seems like an awesome deal.

Yes the only problem is its in store only sigh...I was hoping to be sipping hot chocolate at home on Thanksgiving not battling the mob lol

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:31 am

All ask on here as well. I can't afford 2 kindle fires nor the nabi. The one at K-mart worth getting for a 7 and 9yo; yes or no? I wish I could get them Fires but then I would have to upgrade my oldest's touch to a fire as well. Ahh the joys of buying for 4 youngens. Thankfully my youngest is still happy with her tag reader and wont really care if big brother got this and this when she didn't.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:29 am

ok, don't get a polaroid or a pandigital. consider getting one and having them share....
watch 1 sale a day, bensoutlet, and buy.com

The one at Kmart has a decent speed 1.2 gig, it is a 4gig memory, expandable to 32 gig with a microSD card(on sale @ BB for 17.99 on BF) it is a single core processor.

There is a visual land @ BB for 99 that has 8gig memory
the Kmart Nextbook 8

looking at more specs and info....give me a bit....
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:34 am

OK...looking at all the cheaper ones available ..I would go with the 8gig barnes and noble nook color tablet at wal mart for 99.99 it has a dual core processor.

that makes it twice as much memory as the one you listed as well as much faster processing.
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:32 pm

steffj89 wrote:OK...looking at all the cheaper ones available ..I would go with the 8gig barnes and noble nook color tablet at wal mart for 99.99 it has a dual core processor.

that makes it twice as much memory as the one you listed as well as much faster processing.

Thank you sweets. I can't really afford it but what would be the point of buying 2 useless items as well.

Mysticdream084
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Mysticdream084 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:38 pm

I am considering the same thing for my 6 year old son. I see the Nabi2 has really great reviews, and if you look on the walmart black Friday add it will be on sale for $129.00 which is a steep discount. I am leaning more towards the MEEP, because of the extra things you can do with it, with the computer and drum set. It doesn't have the best reviews, but I figure in a few years I will upgrade him to the latest and greatest anyway, so for now I think it will be perfect.

stlrydn
Black Friday Pro

Postby stlrydn » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:02 pm

What do people think of the Barnes and Noble Nook Color at Wal-Mart for 99? Considering it for by 10 year old. I think she's too old for one the kid tablets, like the NABI. I've read reviews on Amazon. They say the Nook is great, but you need to buy a card to change the system over to Google.

Cynthia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Cynthia » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:30 pm

@maj0819 I've been researching kids tablets for months and the sale at Walmart is the best price I've seen on the Nabi 2 also. Hadn't planned on buying it until my daughter's b-day in February but since it's on sale I will regrettably try standing in line at Walmart Thursday to see if I can get one. Wish me luck!

yamaha2000us
Black Friday Newbie

Postby yamaha2000us » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:53 pm

I only have on thing to say. My son has been bugging me for a tablet/itouch device. All of his friends have them. They do, because when they come over to visit, I ask them to show me. Every single one of them has a crack or major scratch on the screen... :lol: I am pretty sure they are not hand me downs. They are destroying them. My plan is to get my son a low end device to see how he well he will take care of it.

riceboyler
Black Friday Newbie

Postby riceboyler » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:42 pm

steffj89 wrote:OK...looking at all the cheaper ones available ..I would go with the 8gig barnes and noble nook color tablet at wal mart for 99.99 it has a dual core processor.

Hate to contradict, but the Nook Color (which is the one for $99) is NOT dual core: It's a single core 800MHz processor. While I've got mine overclocked to 1.2GHz with no issues, and running Jelly Bean (Android 4.1), it takes some work to get there. (As an aside, the Nook Tablet IS Dual Core 1GHz, but it's not $99.) If you're willing to do some legwork, the Nook Color is a good little tablet (but keep in mind, it's about 2 year old technology, so it's quickly going to be dated).

As far as the Nabi 2, while you can't directly access the Google Play Store, you can always install the Amazon App Store which has 95% of what's on Google Play (and has a free app per day), so I think that's a wash. We're getting one for my 7 year old daughter, and I think she'll be in heaven. Just hoping I don't have to go to battle on Thursday at Wally World to get it for $129.

Momof9
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Momof9 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:13 pm

Ok, as the original poster, This is what I bought for my 2 girls ages 6 and 8. It is the HKC 7" tablet originally 179 on sale for 99.00. It uses Google Play which will be good for the girls, has a 1 gb memory and 8 gb storage memory. I posted the specs below if anyone is interested. I also liked the fact that they come in several different colors, so the girls wont be fighting over whose is whose. I bought the pink and purple one with matching carrying case/purse.

The only thing I don't like about them, is it only has 1 camera and its on the front, so if they want to take a pic of something other than themselves, it might prove to be somewhat of a challenge. I'm also going to go on ebay and they have a 7" faux leather pink and purple (of course) case w/ keyboard for around $12.00. I might also buy them the silicone case, but I'm not sure yet. I also got free 2 day shipping to home at walmart.com.

I hope this helps anyone out. As a mother of 8 kids I know how destructive kids can be on toys and stuff (hence 3rd replacement screen on my ipad grrrr.) So I figure I didn't spend a bunch of money on these and if they break them, that's their tough luck.

Technical Specifications:

1GHz processor
1GB of system memory and 8GB on-board storage memory
7" touchscreen, 800 x 480 resolution
Built-in WiFi

Additional Features:

Front webcam
Micro USB port
8GB on-board storage memory, up to 32GB additional memory via microSD card slot
Up to 5 hours of run time on a full charge
Weighs 0.5 lbs; 4.75" x 7.55" x 0.375" dimensions

Software and Applications:

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) OS
Google Play (for applications
Gmail, Google Maps, YouTube, Google Books, Google+, Google Earth, Google Voice, Google Finance
Twitter, Facebook, AccuWeather

At least that is one thing I don't have to wait in line at walmart on Thursday. :o

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm interested in what people think of that one.

What are other good 'inexpensive' tables that aren't the higher end tablets everyone has mentioned?
Just wondering. I really need a 'backup' plan in case he samsung galaxy I want to get at Kmart falls through. Preferably I want to buy from Kmart or Sears so I can use my discounts.

I have also been debating, because he is only 11, and this would be his first 'big' electronic item other than a NinDs.

Cynthia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Cynthia » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:07 pm

I purchased the Nabi 2 at Walmart last night for that great price! Wasn't looking forward to the craziness but to my surpise I didn't really have a problem. Arrived at 6:00 and the parking lot wasn't crowded and I got a great parking space in front and was the 1st of 2 people in line for the Nabi. It took the employees over an hour and moved us FOUR times before they finally knew where the Nabi's would be sold. I bought one and one for my friend for her daughter. I was walking to my car at 8:04! The Thanksgiving gods were with me!!! Can't wait to open it and "play" I mean set it up for her for Christmas! :D

Thanks for all the feedback.

Cynthia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Cynthia » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:07 pm

Can someone tell me how to add the Amazon store app on my Nabi 2 tablet?

Thanks.

TexasDealGirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby TexasDealGirl » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:36 am

All of your comments are so interesting. I'm debating between a Nabi 2, Kindle Fire, or nook for my sons 8th birthday in Feb. He's a repeating first grader, and seems to struggle with anything techie. I like the Nabi 2 but not sure how long it will last him as his IQ is high, its getting it out there thats the problem. I havent played around with the Nabi, what age range would you suggest on the Nabi 2? Personally I like Kindle Fire but not sure how he would like it.

Return to “Retail Stores”