Kid friendly tablets

Black Friday 2012 - Retail Store Deals Discussion

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Re: Kid friendly tablets

Postby steffj89 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:21 pm

I don't know how to compare the 2. I lean pretty hard against apple products and so have not worked with them at all. That said, I would ask, do they have issues with change? That might be more to overcome and cause different issues. If they are high functioning and have the ability to transition knowledge fairly easily as far as using the capacative touch and once they get the hang of something can repeat the processes pretty easily it might not give any issues at all. However if they are using the Apple based systems at school, that would alter what I think too. My kids schools use microsoft/windows based systems and they are very adept with my android stuff. In addition I like that the droid products can easily be used to interface with the standard computers and laptops.
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:43 pm

steffj89 wrote:I don't know how to compare the 2. I lean pretty hard against apple products and so have not worked with them at all. That said, I would ask, do they have issues with change? That might be more to overcome and cause different issues. If they are high functioning and have the ability to transition knowledge fairly easily as far as using the capacative touch and once they get the hang of something can repeat the processes pretty easily it might not give any issues at all. However if they are using the Apple based systems at school, that would alter what I think too. My kids schools use microsoft/windows based systems and they are very adept with my android stuff. In addition I like that the droid products can easily be used to interface with the standard computers and laptops.

When Apple doesn't/can't; Droid Does!

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:04 pm

Yeah, but that doesn't answer her question really John....she is worried about sensory issues and how the changing will affect her kids. I just don't have a great answer.
steffsbags@ymail.com

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:04 pm

woops. My bad :oops:

jemerid
Black Friday Pro

Postby jemerid » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:00 pm

Nabi 2 looks pretty cool...I went to store with "grandma" who is buy for my niece..we were undecided until we looked at reviews and also watched a video and powerpoint at nabitablet.com (i think this is where we watched it)..anyhow it seems like it would be great for my niece..we liked the streaming kids shows option..too cute!

tlpbupu
Black Friday Pro

Postby tlpbupu » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:46 pm

m_williams79 wrote:I've got two sons who has Aspergers and one of them have worked with an Ipod Touch and an Ipad but this is only at school. We are thiking about geting one for home. Is the Nabi going to be better or the Ipod Touch since he is already use to it? They are ages 7 & 11

I can't answer you question about the Nabi, but just wanted to add that my daughter (6) who has Aspergers uses a Kindle Fire at home and an IPad at school. She doesn't have any problems switching back and forth.

allenthree
Black Friday Newbie

Postby allenthree » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:42 pm

I have an autistic 11 year old and a 3 year old that use an iPad daily. I tried others and they are always looking for the iPad so I gave them my gen 1 and got a "new" one for myself. They have an otter box on it and it has been fine for a year. Dropped, walked on, and slept on you name it. Also our schools use apple products so there is continuity at home.

chaddenise
Black Friday Pro

Postby chaddenise » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:35 pm

@steffj89 what is the cost to rent a movie on amazon on the kindle hd? Considering this tablet for my 12yo.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:52 pm

I have seen some for 99cents and some for 3$ and sometimes they send you a credit for a free rental when you buy dvd's and blu rays from them. I haven't rented any myself, I save the codes for Chris to rent stuff when he is on the road and put like 25$ a month in amazon credit for him and he can do what he wants with it.
steffsbags@ymail.com

TheNedyGuy
Black Friday Newbie

Postby TheNedyGuy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:21 pm

I know some parents that were getting their kids the Kindle Fire HD. They're both in the 10-12 year old range. Wanted to get the Kindle to encourage reading. Plus it has all the little games, Netflix, etc. I would highly recommend the Fire HD for kids. Best bang for your buck. Don't get some kid-friendly thing that has no power.

chaddenise
Black Friday Pro

Postby chaddenise » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:25 pm

steffj89 wrote:I have seen some for 99cents and some for 3$ and sometimes they send you a credit for a free rental when you buy dvd's and blu rays from them. I haven't rented any myself, I save the codes for Chris to rent stuff when he is on the road and put like 25$ a month in amazon credit for him and he can do what he wants with it.

Thanks so much!!

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:02 pm

@ the Nedy guy....

Our older one is getting a FireHD but the kiddy NABI 2 actually has a better processor. its just an 8 gig memory not 16.
steffsbags@ymail.com

chaddenise
Black Friday Pro

Postby chaddenise » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:13 pm

Im struggling to decide between nexus 7 and kindle fire hd!

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:19 pm

i don't know anything about tech support on the google, but my friend who is TOTALLY anti technology, dislikes digital, computer anything. She and her daughter both have a fire, and she has absolutely RAVED about how good they are.
steffsbags@ymail.com

maj0819
Black Friday Newbie

Postby maj0819 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:05 am

The Walmart Black Friday ad shows the Nabi 2 8GB for $129. By far the lowest I have seen. Seems like an awesome deal.

Return to “Retail Stores”