Kid friendly tablets

Black Friday 2012 - Retail Store Deals Discussion

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Re: Kid friendly tablets

Postby Sparkle2217 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Okay so if I get a tablet the first thing I need to do is make sure it is Wifi.

Now it's just trying to figure out what brand and what has the better deal on APPS and stuff. Geez this is too much LOL.

Thanks everyone for your help. I truly do appreciate it

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:36 pm

@Jen...I agree it does seem very similar to others except for the case being very tough...
@Sparkle...I would probably not do the Nabi for older child. Our olders(8.5 and 9.5) are getting a Fire HD to share from their Nana. When I upgrade to the Samsung after the first of the year(possibly sooner if they run a GREAT deal) then I will also let one of them have my Dell Streak I got BF last year!

Yes the $199 is off putting, BUT if you are considering the InnoTab or LeapPad @80-100$ each and then have to ADD the games at $20-25 a pop you are still coming out ahead of the game.

The Nabi has a Richard Scary game, that was really piquing my interest and you can set up to allow them only to certain websites if you are so inclined(our house is totally wireless, so I like this feature) I will be able to set up where he can only go to PBS, ABC Mouse, Disney, Nick JR. sites I am ok with a 4 y.o being on.

Steff

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:53 pm

@ Steff...yeah i just checked the inno vs the nabi with price and you are right.

I need to google all these tablet brands kindle fires and stuff. If i get my 5yr old one I don't want my 11yr old to be without one. But I have no clue what he would use it for though. At least with my 5yr old I know what I am trying to get her one for.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:11 pm

@ Sparkle....
My olders use my tablet to play games, to build crap on lego.com, to research things that interest them...they have a desktop, but clearly 1 desktop divided by 3 kids isn't always feasible. They can rent movies off amazon or off our netflix acct and watch them in the car when they aren't wifi connected....With Amazon, you rent for 3 days from time its downloaded, but say you go camping and there is no wifi, you can watch the movie till next time you connect when Amazon takes the movie back
Steff

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:47 pm

anyone know anything about the blackberry playbook? found one new on ebay for 170

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:44 am

There's a Toshiba Thrive today on 1saleaday for $199
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Cynthia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Cynthia » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:00 pm

@BFBrandon, can you also include the Nabi tablet in your article?

Thanks,

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:09 pm

The more I research tablets for kids, the more I am leaning towards the Nabi 2. It really does seem like the best bargain for all you get.

Cynthia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Cynthia » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:16 pm

I noticed in the Toys R Us ad they will have some kids tablets on sale $149 from $199 but didn't see the Nabi 2 but I saw the Tabeo and Kurio and was wondering are they comparable to the Nabi 2?

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:31 pm

Cynthia wrote:I noticed in the Toys R Us ad they will have some kids tablets on sale $149 from $199 but didn't see the Nabi 2 but I saw the Tabeo and Kurio and was wondering are they comparable to the Nabi 2?

I am not too sure. I will have to research those. I saw those in the adscans as well but wasn't sure

sunfun94
Black Friday Newbie

Postby sunfun94 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:12 am

Im in just the opposite situation... For Christmas we are upgrading our 5yr old to the Leappad 2 from her Explorer... She loves her explorer and the awesome thing here is that she is familiar with the os but with the online options as well. And of course the library of games, books and apps etc that she has already will transfer over to her new pad. However, we do not want our 10 yr old left out ... she grew out of her orig leapfrog yrs ago and I believe is ready for a real tablet... I was doing some research and was leaning towards the nook for her (she is an avid reader) as the price for the samsungs and apples are way too much. In our research, we looked at the Tabeo but the reviews were horrid for it. Would the Nabi2 be age appropriate for her?

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:41 am

In doing a LOT of research last night what I found is that the Nabi2 is receiving ratings similar to the Kindle Fire. It has a much better processor than any of the other kid tablets. It is a quad core as opposed to dual core and has 8 gig memory as opposed to the 4gig in all the other kid tablets. It doesn't have approval from google play yet, but is working on it and should be available as an easy upgrade soon. It comes with 200 pre loaded games where all the rest are only 50. Its parental controls also seem the easiest to navigate and if you use its cloud option there is an extra 2 gig of storage. It is a bit costlier than the others, but sounds like it is well worth the extra $50.

The Tabeo winds up sounding more toylike and I couldn't find much on the Kurio.

Steff
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

nfalks
Black Friday Pro

Postby nfalks » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:52 pm

So, I have been following this thread since it started because both of my kids are getting tablets this year. I know that I am getting the Nabi 2 for my 3 year old. My problem is my 8 year old step-daughter. She is has a lot of learning disabilities, but because of "no child left behind", she is in the second grade. So I am in the predicament of she could probably do well with the Nabi 2, but I want her to be able to keep up with school, so I want to ensure that what I get her will cover her in the long run. I also need excellent parental controls. I need to ensure that I can do a whitelist only access on the internet. I tried researching different tablets, but I am technology stupid. I don't understand half of what the stuff says and it just ends up giving me a headache. Does anyone have any good suggestions to help narrow down the list of tablets out there?

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:52 pm

nfalks....I would go with the Nabi2 or the Kindle Fire HD. What I found was really kind of shocking, the Nabi is actually a better processor than the Fire. The Fire HD has won some recognition for their parental controls. Both you can set up to where you can access and change their things from your computer through their "cloud" type systems. If she is a bit challenged, I personally would go with the Nabi, because it has plenty of educational apps and the ability to hook in with amazon gives you a very large variety. It won't be holding her back, and if it allows her to use it and learn and become more confident in her abilities, it may help her stretch her wings and reach for more. Then if you find in a year or so you are ready to move up, look at one of the trade in programs like with BB. I know they don't give you full value, but if you get say 18 mos use out of it and they give you 80-90 for it toward something else and you can get the something else for 200, you are still coming out ok. The fire has twice as much memory at the same price, but the quad core processor means the nabi moves fast.
ALL the other kids tabs are 4 gig dual core systems.
If you have more questions and I am not answering fast enough on here zap me on FB steff green jones.
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

m_williams79
Black Friday Pro

Postby m_williams79 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:04 pm

I've got two sons who has Aspergers and one of them have worked with an Ipod Touch and an Ipad but this is only at school. We are thiking about geting one for home. Is the Nabi going to be better or the Ipod Touch since he is already use to it? They are ages 7 & 11

Return to “Retail Stores”