Kid friendly tablets

Black Friday 2012 - Retail Store Deals Discussion

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

Momof9
Black Friday Newbie

Kid friendly tablets

Postby Momof9 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:40 pm

Looking to buy a couple of kid friendly tablets this year. I have an iPad & an iPhone my oldest daughter has an iPhone, and my two oldest boys are getting iPod touches for Xmas. I'm tired of replacing the screen on my iPad, since my 2, 3 and 5 yr olds love to play with it. I'm hoping to buy 1 or 2 child tablets (depending on price). Anyone have any predictions on price for these tablets?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: Kid friendly tablets

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:55 pm

That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Cynthia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Cynthia » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:44 am

I posted the same question a couple weeks ago. I'm also looking for a good kids tablet. I've been doing a lot of research and it may be more economical to buy a tablet like the Kindle Fire, Nook or Nexus 7 for $149-150 and download free google apps because the kids tablets mostly require you to buy their apps and they will eventually cost more than the $99 tablet. I saw that a new Fun Tab by Ematic came out yesterday and the Meeks is also new. This is tiresome research but I want to get the best for my hard earned money and not have to purchase another one next year...HELP!!!

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:31 pm

AVOID ematic like the plague! I have been looking as well and our big boys are getting a FIRE HD from Nana together. I will be getting the NABI whatever it is for the 3 y.o. it has an 8gig memory and runs on droid 4.0, it already has several kids games and can download games directly from google play same as the more grown up tablets, but seems sturdier, with protective casings etc.
I am thinking about getting me a samsung galaxy tab2 and if I do that will pass my dell streak down as well which will mean there are 3 for them all to play on....

steff

Cynthia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Cynthia » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:07 pm

I have researched the Nabi and considering it. I play close attention to customer comments. They are valuable and getting apps could be an issue with this one and for the price I could get the new Kindle Fire HD. My boss bought one for her son and brought it to work to check out and it's pretty impressive for me and my daughter to use.

It would be nice if someone would do an article comparing the kids tablets like they do the adult tablets.

BFBrandon
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFBrandon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:14 pm

We're working on an article that will be dealing specifically with this topic. However, our focus will be on just kid's tablets, so the guide will not include the Kindle Fire or Fire HD (those will be dealt with in a separate eReader guide). We'll also be doing a tablet guide. For the kid's tablets, we will be covering the:

Meep Kids Tablet ($150)
LeapPad 2 ($100)
Tabeo ($150)
InnoTab 2 ($80)
Kurio Kids Tablet ($150)
Vinci Tab II ($200)

These prices may not completely reflect every retailer, but that's the price I used for reference. We'll find out how much the prices go down once the ads start to trickle in. Stay tuned and hopefully the guide(s) can to answer your question! :)

Cynthia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Cynthia » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:26 pm

GREAT!!! Please notify me when it's posted.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:12 pm

I don't think you need to cover the innotab and leap pad unless they offer way more than the prior versions.

Is the Meep the Nabi tablet? I played with it quite a while today and was extremely impressed with the ease of touch capability, and according to what I found it didn't sound so hard to get apps.
I do think you should include the kindle fire hd, because with the parental controls available, it will offer the most bang for the buck for older children. I have 3 boys 8,9, and 4 in dec. I honestly wasn't going to look at the kiddie tabs and just go with 3 fire HD's, but after looking at the Nabi, I am quite interested in it for the youngest. Most curious about how the TABEO is going to compare to it. He needs the sturdier option.

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:48 am

Meep Kids Tablet ($150)
LeapPad 2 ($100)
Tabeo ($150)
InnoTab 2 ($80)
Kurio Kids Tablet ($150)
Vinci Tab II ($200)

Please keep me posted. I have been trying to figure out exactly what do tablets overall do and if they are worth it so any info you have would be great.

Jenbussan
Black Friday Pro

Postby Jenbussan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:51 am

My daughter has been playing with tablets/ ipods since she was 2. Here are my thougths, for what they are worth!!!

She started off on an iPod touch. She also had a vTech Mobigo and FAR preferred the iPod. I have a great case for it (thick leather with attached screen protector from gut.com) and it doesn't have a scratch on it (and she has dropped it plenty...). We sold the mobigo...got the vTech InnoTab. She likes the innotab but still preffered the iPod touch to it. She would tell us that the games are more fun and that the screen is "better".

This past year she has played extensively with my husband's Kindle Fire. I love that it is sturdy. She can navigate the the screens easily to find what she wants to do. The media options are outstanding...video, apps, books, and music...all easily opened AND easily purchased. The 7" size is great for her 5-yr-old hands.

She has been also playing recently with my Asus Transformer Tablet. She LOVES the bigger screen but it IS harder for her to hold. The feel of this tablet is more "fragile"...I don't think that this can take the wear that the Fire could take. For that reason, I pretty heavily supervise her when she is playing on it. I LOVE the integration with Google Play and the android market.

So...we are getting her a tablet of her own for Christmas. We will be selling the InnoTab because there is far more potential with the other devices and they really will grow with her. We considered getting the new iPad mini (will most likely be announced Oct. 23rd and on shelves by black friday...) but I prefer Google Play and all things android over anything apple....just my preference. I think that we will be getting the Google Nexus 7 for her. It has a great feel...I love the integration with Google Play. I know that the kid-friendly tablets have the ability to lock things down a little more easily (purchasing apps, etc)...but I can synch her table to my account and use the apps I have already bought. I will go into my account and turn off the "instant purchase" settings so that a password has to be used. Not as convieninet...but honestly, I should have it set that way anyway, right :wink: .

So...after all of that... My best advice is to not limit yourself to looking at just the "kid" tablets. There are lots of other options out there (like the Nexus) that will get you far more bang for your buck!

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:17 am

@ Jenbussan....Thanks for the information it truly does help. My daughter just turned 5 last week and she is not responsible enough for the "adult" tablets. I just want something that has learning games, learning and reading stories and so forth that can help her continue to learn. Also something wish a spanish learning program on it would be great too. I googled the InnoTab2 and that looks like something good for her. Not sure if I have to buy software for it or if it comes with learning games and stuff already loaded on it.

Last year I bought her the VTech learning laptop and she has destroyed that LOL. So nothing fancy and complex. She has some minor delays so I do not want to overwhelm her.

Cynthia
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Cynthia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:35 am

@ Jenbussan, thank you. My daughter will be 3 in February and she has mastered her V-Tech computer from last Christmas and after my research I think I'm leaning towards the Kindle Fire HD or the Nexus 7 which cost a little more than the Kindle. The kids tablets cost as much and you have to pay for most of the apps you want which gets pricey over time with the Leap Pad 2 and Innotab. I feel that with an adult tablet it is more economical and with her advancement I can download the apps that meet her skills cheaper on the google store. As you said I can purchase a protective cover. She's done well with the V-Tech as far as not dropping it too much other than giving it some "color" with her crayon.

I am definitely trying to get more bang for my buck and I will also be able to use it myself.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:37 pm

Sparkle...go to best buy and look at the Nabi2. Much sturdier than many of the others. Skip the Inno Tab and LeapPad. Our youngest is 3, to be 4 in Dec. He has been playing a good bit with my Dell Streak, and is doing pretty well with it, and I will likely be getting him either the Nabi2 or the Tabeo(once I see one) to determine its ease of use etc. The Nabi had something like 200 games preloaded, including learning games, as well as some like Angry Birds.

Sawyer is into the Bad Piggies and I have also downloaded some memory and puzzle games for him and in looking at the Nabi, it looks like I can go into Google Play and download there, just like I do on my Dell.
That puzzle game he is having a blast with it. Every time he finishes one he is going" WOO HOO...." etc...

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:59 pm

@ Steff....Thanks for the info. I just googled the Nabi. That looks pretty cool and since it comes with the 200 games and stuff that seems like a better deal. I was never really into leappad so my kids never got leappad stuff. I am extremely new to the whole tablet thing. Heck I do not even own a smart phone and everytime I see something that says scan with your phone I am like whattttt LOL. I am behind on technology so to say

Okay I also just saw its $199. WOWWWWWW. Do I really want to pay that much for a 5yr old? I also have an 11yr old and I wonder if this is something he could use too.

Jenbussan
Black Friday Pro

Postby Jenbussan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:26 pm

You are welcome! Happy to help. We have spent our share of money on the kid-centered tech products only to have her (our 5 year old daughter) turn back to the Kindle fire and ipod time and time again.

I will say this...I think that the innotab is better than the leappad. You can do a bit more with it and if you dig on amazon you can find a thread that tells you how to convert movies to sd card and play them on it. It's a total PITA...but it can be done. I think that the biggest drawback of the innotab (and the leappad) is the software. You have to buy the cartridges and most of them run $20 or more. You can buy and download apps...but neither tablet is wifi so you have to deal with hooking it up and using the proprietary software to do it. again...a PITA.

Sparkle...there are some crazy strong cases out there for some of these tablets. If you went with a strong screen protector (like a Zagg) and a tough case (like an otterbox) then these tablets become practically indestructible. I was playing with the Nabi at Best Buy last weekend...it seems similar to every other tablet out there...the big difference is the case that wraps the body is very heavy duty.

Return to “Retail Stores”