GPS map updates vs. new GPS

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderator: ikey2

pamfenway
Black Friday Pro

GPS map updates vs. new GPS

Postby pamfenway » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:10 am

With the cost of a GPS going down and map updates at $80, do you buy the map updates or just go with a new GPS?

Currently I have a low-end GPS and am perfectly happy with it--not needing one with a ton of bells and whistles--but it could use a map update. I'm thinking I should probably just buy a new GPS on Black Friday which would give me a new warranty & map all-in-one, at pretty much the same price as just the map update. This seems pretty wasteful, but... What do you do?

nshah
Black Friday Pro

Re: GPS map updates vs. new GPS

Postby nshah » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:33 pm

pamfenway wrote:With the cost of a GPS going down and map updates at $80, do you buy the map updates or just go with a new GPS?

Currently I have a low-end GPS and am perfectly happy with it--not needing one with a ton of bells and whistles--but it could use a map update. I'm thinking I should probably just buy a new GPS on Black Friday which would give me a new warranty & map all-in-one, at pretty much the same price as just the map update. This seems pretty wasteful, but... What do you do?

that's exactly what I do...

I usually list my current GPS on craigslist for the average price of what it will be to get a replacement GPS... Depending on how much I bought it for.

ex: I got the magellan with TTS from Best Buy last year for $80 (+ tax + shipping) so it ended up around $90 I believe.

Well, without a lot of ads out, my educated guess is that a similar GPS will be $100 this year.

So I have mine up on craigslist this year for 100/OBO.. IF I get a good offer (75+) its gone and I have some wiggle room for a new one (incase I dont' get the doorbuster GPS or something like that.

of course I don't use mine on a daily basis so i can' go without one for a couple of weeks- if you need yours all the time you might be able to do the same.. But to me the cost of the map upgrades are rediculous compared to the cost of a replacement GPS.

pamfenway
Black Friday Pro

Thanks

Postby pamfenway » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:12 am

Thanks for your reply. That's a smart way to deal with the update issue!

BFPrincess
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFPrincess » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:33 am

If you get a TomTom are the map updates not free?

We update ours all the time and have never paid anything for an update.

pamfenway
Black Friday Pro

Postby pamfenway » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:24 pm

BFPrincess wrote:If you get a TomTom are the map updates not free?

I have a Magellan GPS and it costs $80 to get a new map update.

nshah
Black Friday Pro

Postby nshah » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:32 pm

BFPrincess wrote:If you get a TomTom are the map updates not free?

really?? that's surprising.. I had a Tomtom One LE (120 @ Best Buy's BF in 2007) and the map update alone was going to be $80.

From the Tom Tom site they list map updates as $80 for a one-time update or they have a subscription service for $40/year (but you must already have the latest maps to get this?)

http://www.tomtom.com/page/mapupdateservice

pamfenway
Black Friday Pro

garmin

Postby pamfenway » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:59 am

According to someone in another forum...

"if you buy a Garmin you can purchase unlimited maps updates for about $100. You can get new updates four times a year for as long as you own the Garmin. You can order this from Amazon or Garmin."

See:
http://tinyurl.com/yfsfzzl

BFPrincess
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFPrincess » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:16 am

hmm well weird...maybe now I'm rethinking getting my mom a GPS for Christmas. I'm so confused.

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”