Netbooks Vs. Laptops?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderator: ikey2

shanyo76
Black Friday Pro

Netbooks Vs. Laptops?

Postby shanyo76 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:59 pm

Help! My husband is DEAD SET on getting our 13 year old daughter a netbook for Christmas. He works for Verizon and can get one for $150, HOWEVER, we would also have to pay $40 a month for the service. I would rather just get her a real laptop, in the long run that would be cheaper, wouldn't it? I am not computer savvy so can someone please explain to me the difference between a netbook and an actual laptop- pros, cons? Thank you!

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:01 pm

I am guessing the $40/month is for the wireless service for the NetBook.
I have 2 laptops and they are great.

I want a netbook because it is smaller and lightweight (O/S wise)
If she just needs to surf and email, I'd say go Netbook. If she wants more, maybe consider the laptop

Just my .02-cents

shanyo76
Black Friday Pro

Postby shanyo76 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:05 pm

XmasDVD wrote:I am guessing the $40/month is for the wireless service for the NetBook.
I have 2 laptops and they are great.

I want a netbook because it is smaller and lightweight (O/S wise)
If she just needs to surf and email, I'd say go Netbook. If she wants more, maybe consider the laptop

Just my .02-cents

Yes, it is for the wireless service. Is it possible to use a netbook without the wireless service if we already have internet at home?

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:44 pm

If the Network has built-in wifi and you have a wireless router between your service (Verizon, Roadrunner, etc) and the PC - yep.

bogart
Black Friday Pro

Postby bogart » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:26 pm

You definitely don't need to get a netbook with a wireless plan-- they'll hook up to wifi anywhere, or no-fi if you only have ethernet access.

Netbooks = surfing/email machines. They're not intended for high-end application use. If she just needs something to surf with, a netbook is fine. If she needs "real" applications, get a laptop-- bigger hard drive, more memory, etc.

I love my netbook for what I do, but if I had to run Windows on it, I'd be whiny.

svngpvtry
Black Friday Pro

Postby svngpvtry » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:47 pm

Between my wife and I we have 5 or 6 laptops for various things, including my hp dv2 which is only like 3lbs and 12" screen. Much much better than a netbook and nearly the same size.

I think for the long run you are better getting a laptop over a netbook, but that is my personal bias. I like to do more than just log into facebook and myspace.

my $.02

JrdnJstn
Black Friday Pro

Postby JrdnJstn » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:03 pm

I have a 13 yr old son and I thinking of getting him a netbook.

If you have internet service at home you don't need to pay for a plan. You can get service ot the netbook with an ethernet cable or if you have a router you can get wireless service that way. Most laptops and netbooks can get a wireless connection. I haven't seen one that doesn't have wireless capibilities but I'm sure they are out there.

Netbooks are great for just the basics like web surfing or emailing, etc.
The biggest lie I tell myself is... "I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it."

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:11 pm

I would hold off on getting the verizon netbook for now.
I am thinking its not a long shot to see a $99 netbook on black friday without any service contracts from a store like bestbuy/walmart....

What you need to do is think about what she will be using it for. Will it just be for stuff like websurfing and email? if so a netbook is fine.
However if she wants to do more stuff like do any video editing or load a lot of music, or play any games. A regular laptop will be a better choice.

You can use both netbooks and laptops at your home with your house internet if you have a wireless router (cheap ones run for $35). The internet service that verizon is selling with their netbooks is for having internet access where ever you go as long as your within the verizon cellphone coverage you will have internet. ( they sell the service seperate if you ever decide to get it down the road for any laptop.)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

hey2abills
Black Friday Pro

Postby hey2abills » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:36 pm

Here is the real deal on netbooks: ( I am using one right now)

I hate laptops, they are too large and the batteries used to suck. Anyways...

The netbook with Verizon is $40 per month for 1 gig of internet usage per month. Try and explain that to a child. Tell them not to go on youtube and not to download music. Good luck, and be prepared for huuuge overage charges. You can go to RadioShack and get one with ATT for FREE which is $60 per month for 5 gigs. They can still receive wireless internet from your house or school.

OR

You can do the better option and go to RadioShack and pay 299 for a netbook with no contract requirements. I bought mine from RS for $350, and it has a 6 hour battery. The ones they have now are a 3.5 hour battery for 300. They have 1 gig of RAM and 160 gig HD. Windows XP, duh. Webcam, USB, ethernet, VGA out, etc.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=3734292

Great tool to have, and cheap. Im sure there will be some 200 dollar deals on BF. Any other questions, just ask.

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:45 pm

nice review - thanks. They are out of stock but I am on the notification list

hey2abills
Black Friday Pro

Postby hey2abills » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:57 pm

XmasDVD wrote:nice review - thanks. They are out of stock but I am on the notification list

If you are near a store, just go! Or call them.

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:34 pm

hey2abills wrote:
XmasDVD wrote:nice review - thanks. They are out of stock but I am on the notification list

If you are near a store, just go! Or call them.

Is that a 'suggestion' or a 'tip' - LOL

nshah
Black Friday Pro

Postby nshah » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:11 pm

why pay for more internet anyway??

if it's already in the house don't pay verizon or any other company, you have faster internet that you're already paying for... no reason to get the mobile/cellular network dataplan unless you need to do some serious stuff while traveling cross-country.

nshah
Black Friday Pro

Postby nshah » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:14 pm

another important thing with netbooks- most of them don't have CD/DVD drives... make sure those aren't needed

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”