Do you shop alone?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

coan.net
Black Friday Newbie

Postby coan.net » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:49 am

I don't go anymore, but my wife still goes every year - and she brings along a friend.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - they bring along a 2-way radio (Walkie talkie) so they can go seperate ways while in the stores looking for certain items, and still be able to talk to each other - possible cordinating one going to start to stand in long check-out lines while the other picks up those last couple of items that they are looking for.

We RARELY go after the big "hot" item since we don't want to wait in line, but usually do pretty good at the other little stuff most others overlook as they run to the super-cheap laptop or TV or something.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:34 pm

BF Addict....honestly going alone is not that bad...when i go alone i get everything i want and can be home long before i get caught in the madness that happens later in the day

b.f.shopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby b.f.shopper » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:07 am

I shop with a friend, we have a whole tradition. On Thanksgiving evening I go to her house with my children while my husband is sleeping off his turkey high, we have dessert and go through all the BF ads with the kids then plan our route. We always start at WalMart, we get in line around 2am with hot chololate in hand. Once in Walmart we split up one heading to electronics and one headed to the toy dept, then we meet at the check out lines. Then its off to another store, and another and so on. Lunch is always at PF Changs. Our day usually ends around 7 pm that night! It is truely my favorite day of the year.

cddd
Black Friday Pro

Postby cddd » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:37 am

b.f.shopper wrote:I shop with a friend, we have a whole tradition. On Thanksgiving evening I go to her house with my children while my husband is sleeping off his turkey high, we have dessert and go through all the BF ads with the kids then plan our route. We always start at WalMart, we get in line around 2am with hot chololate in hand. Once in Walmart we split up one heading to electronics and one headed to the toy dept, then we meet at the check out lines. Then its off to another store, and another and so on. Lunch is always at PF Changs. Our day usually ends around 7 pm that night! It is truely my favorite day of the year.

It's my favorite time of the year too! "It's the MOST wonderful time of the year" lol
My kids LOVE looking through the ads. I always get 2 papers. One for me and one for the kids to go through. It's there favorite thing to do. They all sit at the table, looking through the ads, and making lists for me of the things they want most that they saw in the ads. Then they go to sleep that night all excited knowing that I'm going shopping for their presents the next day.

When I'm done shopping on BF. I call my husband on the way home and tell him to have the kids go into the backroom and wait there until we bring in all the gifts. (I usually grab black trash bags to put everything into...just in case)
It's soooooooo cute to hear their giggling and whispering about what I may be bringing in. Sometimes one of them will have to "go to the bathroom"...lol....they're trying to get a peak. I love it, because it reminds me of when I was a kid and how excited I used to get when my mom did the same thing :)

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:57 am

i'm sort of getting excited about the possibility of doing it alone this year :)
i'm starting to remember how I always seem to be waiting on my friend at most stores.....

Jakesmom612
Black Friday Pro

Postby Jakesmom612 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:20 pm

Yep I have gone alone in the past and its not bad. You can move fast and get out with out having to wait on someone but I like a lot of your idea. the walkie talkie thing is great.
This year I may take my 17 year old with me she is up for anything LOL

thenuke1
Black Friday Pro

Postby thenuke1 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:07 am

for the past 3 years i believe, my nephew joins me and for the past 2 years my sister joins me ... i usto go with friends but our scheduales are all over the place that its a bit hard for us to go together

ooops944
Black Friday Pro

Postby ooops944 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:15 am

I have not gone alone in about ten years. I usually take a friend or two with me. If nobody asks if they can go with me, my husband goes. He worries about me. Last year it became pretty clear to him that I could handle myself! But, I don't think he will let me go alone. He gets very grumpy and impatient, so I much prefer to take a friend.

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:55 am

My Black Friday is done in 2 waves.

First wave = my mom, my 17 yr old daughter, and myself. We generally leave the house around 2 or 3 am. When we hit the stores my mom gets in the checkout line while my daughter and I zip around grabbing what we want. She is usually close to the front of the line so we don't have to wait so long. She used to help out, but with her advancing age she prefers to stand in line and watch people. If there is anything she wants one of us will grab it for her.

Second wave starts around 9:00 am. We come back to the house and pick up my DH and his mom (both who refuse to do early morning) and spend the day shopping. Both my mom and my MIL live in a small rural area with a small selection of stores, so they like to come to the "big city" shopping. We generally end at Cabelas and are home by supper time.

I went once by myself to BB about 5 or 6 years ago. I was there at like 2:00 am and was actually pretty close to the front. Got what I wanted and made some new friends. Now if you went to BB at 2:00 it would be too late!!! :D

Ghost3B
Black Friday Pro

Postby Ghost3B » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:47 am

I went my first year alone, my second year I took a couple of my wife's friends who thought they would love it. It snowed with 25 mph winds that year...they haven't been back. Last year my wife tagged along which slowed me down at some points, however when we went to TRU it was nice having her wait in line while I raided the shelves.

mommybambi
Black Friday Pro

Postby mommybambi » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:32 pm

I usually go alone. I took DH 2 years ago and regretted it. I lost him at the mall and when I needed to move on he had disappeared. He then started to complain and get tired by mid-morning. I did like having company in the line before stores opened but once they opened he slowed me down too much. He did better when he went separately to 1 store to get 1 specific item like a TV or game system and them he was done for the day.

molton
Black Friday Amateur

Postby molton » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:47 am

Usually alone. I prefer it that way. I love BF but generally I HATE to shop, so I just want to get in, get my stuff and get out.

gatime
Black Friday Newbie

Postby gatime » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:12 pm

I go alone and like it. In the past I have taken family members and I've found that all they do is slow me down. When I shop on bf I am on a mission, I know what stores I'll be going to and when and what I will be getting when I arrive. I don't waste time looking around I just search for the things I'm after. Then I'm off to the next store and home before 10 am.

angelashly
Black Friday Pro

Postby angelashly » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:43 am

BF_MOM wrote:I use to go with my mom before I met my husband but one year mom wasn't able to go so my husband offered to take me around. Keep in mind he had never heard of BF before he met me so he wasn't prepared for the madness of it all. That first year he was so scared for my safety that he decided that every BF from then on he would be my designated shopping buddy. :lol:

My Boyfriend went last year with me too because my mom couldn't go and he was so amazed by what was going on. Some lady was running down the aisle and he just looked at me with a look of :shock: So funny. So my mom and sister will be here this year and we plan on going and he asked if we needed some muscle and told me that we better be careful. He may end up inviting himself for that reason

tregan28
Black Friday Newbie

Postby tregan28 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:29 pm

Unfortunately, I end up going alone every single year. I live in Elverta, CA and my family is over an hour away and I can never convince anyone to go with me. Although it would be great to have a shopping buddy that could keep up!

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”