A Lot of people are saying they are skipping BF ?

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

reygato
Black Friday Pro

A Lot of people are saying they are skipping BF ?

Postby reygato » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:35 am

I am reading online, both here and on other websites, about how many people plan to skip BF
I am hearing it from my friends and neighbors too; I enlisted the help of my older neighbor who wakes up at 430 every morning nayway to go with me on BF to the doorbusters; he agreed to come along "ofr the company" and to help me load things I am not supposed to lift, but he said "I am buying nothing"
One aim is that if BF sales are dismal, many hope that prices will bottom out in December;
I know that I really don;t need to go out on BF, as I have bought what little I am buying already off the internet. I do, like some of you, maybe many of you, get a "Rush" of sorts at feeling that I have gotten a good bargain at the doorbusters, but what good is a bargain if it is not on someone's Christmas wish list????

The fact is, I have listed on various forums the items I want and the ones I have already bought; so far, I see nothing at all that makes me want to go out on BF

I see that JC Penney is starting their doorbusters at 4 AM
They have about one thing I would get, but not at 4AM on BF and probably by Christmas, if JC Penney runs true to form, then the same item will be even cheaper.

Some things to consier
Take a few minutes Thursday Thanksgiving day to get one day sales, especially places like Best Buy and Circuit City online. THe best TV deals were last year online, not on BF

Watch naughtycodes.com for free shipping and discount codes. These are free to use

Check your Mail for the $10 coupon for JC Penney week before Christmas They markdowns are tremendous; there is a hunderd dollar item in the catalog we sort of want, and we are betting that a few days before Christmas we will snag it for $25 or less with the coupon

Overstock.com really does have a few good bargains, but you will spend a little time finding them......

Circuit City, Macy's and most of the others (In fact about everyone except WalMart) is HURTING right now. Watch closely for internet only sales.

If you don't get what you want on BF, and so far THERE IS NOTHING I WANT, then do not panic....check your internet sales on Monday Chances are, after a dismal Friday, the prices are going to be Really good on Monday

Finally
DO NOT be afraid to wait until the last minute. There will be more stock on the shelves, even with less inventory, than there will be buyers...and it will have to go

Also, IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT PLEASE PLEASE buy a toy for Toys For Tots sponsored by the US Marines. This year more than the last few years, more kids are going to be receiving toys as more of their parents are unemplyed or just plain broke. I and my family are fortunate, and we already gave cash last week to the toys for tots collection that was manned by a marine at a sore where we were shopping.
Also consider the Salvation Army Christmas Angel Program. I am doing it also this year, and I bet that there will be more "Angels " than ever on the tree
I am also forcing my kids to be a part of that program too; they need to come to the realization of how fortunate they are and see that they have the power to make someone else's Christmas very very happy, someone who might not have had a present otherwise. So, they will not only help select the angel, but they will help select the gift as well; nice way for them to see that Christmas is, oddly enough, not all about themselves.

If you can't afford it, well, no shame on you. That is the reality of our economy this year. Most cannot , and those of us who can , besides setting aside $$ for next Christmas, need to step up and help out those who need it the most.

IF it were us in their situation, then we would be very grateful for their generosity.

lil_Jean
Black Friday Pro

Postby lil_Jean » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:40 am

I hope so! That means more deals for me!!!

sweetdiggity
Black Friday Pro

Re: A Lot of people are saying they are skipping BF ?

Postby sweetdiggity » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:52 am

reygato wrote: I am reading online, both here and on other websites, about how many people plan to skip BF
Also, IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT PLEASE PLEASE buy a toy for Toys For Tots sponsored by the US Marines. This year more than the last few years, more kids are going to be receiving toys as more of their parents are unemplyed or just plain broke. I and my family are fortunate, and we already gave cash last week to the toys for tots collection that was manned by a marine at a sore where we were shopping.

I know a lot of people who are skipping BF this year, too. The ads aren't all that great, but there are some deals. I already have most of my shopping done, but will still be going shopping on BF. I actually am going to be buying things I need. New clothes, and a new jacket.

As for Toys for Tots, I agree with you. It is so sad to think of children not having anything for the holidays. There was a story on my local news last week saying that the age limit has changed for Toys for Tots. (in my area) It used to be people under age 18 could get gifts, but now they've changed it to 14 and under due to lack of donations. :(

They said if donations pick up, that could change. I hope so.

Last night, my brother cashed in all the change he's been saving and wanted to go buy a toy. I explained to him that he has plenty of toys and he should think about kids who do not. Especially since he just got a new action figure the other day... He's only 6, so he still wants to buy something for himself. lol

We did come to an agreement, though. Today I am going to Walmart with my little brother and we are going to buy some toys/board games for toys for tots, and he is picking out 1 small thing for himself.

trunkims
Black Friday Pro

Postby trunkims » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:18 pm

I won't be skipping, it's still fun to be out there... but the ads aren't great this year.... but I think I'll be leaving the house later this year.. not sure... maybe just going in at 2 instead of 1.... There still isn't anything on the ads I'm DYING to get ... we'll see though...

gogoriotgirl76
Black Friday Pro

Postby gogoriotgirl76 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:22 pm

I am still gonna go,but the ads suck this year...but I will go anyways,just cause it keeps me out of trouble!! :lol:

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:51 pm

we're only out for the JCPenney snowglobes - we skipped it one year and Ihad to shell out $20 to buy them.

BFPrincess
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFPrincess » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:10 pm

really? my list is a mile long. AND I'm from Canada. our dollar right now SUCKS! compared to last year where we were over the US$. This year I think it's 30% below. :(

bogart
Black Friday Pro

Postby bogart » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:18 pm

I think the only thing that would keep me home would be the stores not opening early.

I'm not out there for anything specific this year-- just out for the thrill of the hunt and the excitement of the game!

I got good deals last year with some in-store coupons (6-pack Gold Toe socks for .54, Champion sweats for $3.00), so spiffy ads or crappy ads, I'm bringing home something!

ifoceanscollide
Black Friday Pro

Postby ifoceanscollide » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:17 pm

hey, if more of you people want to stay home this year, that would be super! Just one less person for me to shove my way through! :lol:

sweetdiggity
Black Friday Pro

Postby sweetdiggity » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:49 pm

If a lot of people stay home, it could lessen my chances of being injured in the crowds at Walmart. LOL

reygato
Black Friday Pro

Postby reygato » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:37 pm

I looked over the Walmart ad.
Nothing too impressive. Not ll bad though
For kid's toys, the ride on Jeep for $88 is an awesome deal; problem is, my son does not like the last one I got him

I am considering the Nintendo DS Brain game bundle; however, you can get Nintendo DS bundles online NOW for one about $13 more and you get two games and a carrying pack
SO Again, is BF really that good of a deal ? AND Do we really NEED another video game system ??

I will definately pick up the portable DVD Player for $49
My advice is that if you get it, but the Car adapter for another $15 if you have kids
Well worth it

OH Joy of joys they have the $4 MIXERS !!!! (See my other post to get the humor of that)
I will probably buy the $15 instead; I want something that will last this time LOL

SO Let's see...49 + 15 + 15 I am spending 79 plus tax and getting up to be there at 445? And taking my neighbor along too....
This had better be fun

I will look at the Hot Wheels Mega City pack playset ($20) Still need something for the 6 year old who has about everything already....

limogirl98
Black Friday Newbie

bummed this year

Postby limogirl98 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:46 am

I'd been going to BF for the past three years, but not this year. Just recently lost my job due to layoff, unemployment checks haven't started yet, so to say moola is tight is the understatement of the year and the timing of it all just plain sucks. I'm glad to see that there are more opportunities to do BF ads online this year--that's prob what I'll do most of all anyway. The crowds weren't that bad, but the checkout systems at some of the places are horrific--Kohl's especially! When I rushed in to claim my goodies last year, I then saw that the line within the first 15 minutes of entering the store had already reached all the way around the back of the store and was nearly back at the entrance! I just politely laid my 6 items down and walked out to head on to Old Navy and elsewhere.

Don't mean to be a bah humbug, but was disappointed to see that the major items on sale are priced at hundreds of dollars EACH. I've got a very limited Christmas budget this year and will be spending nowhere near what I usually did for everyone. All parts of the household budget in general have been slashed and burned, and somehow I just don't feel like I'm the only one out there in this situation this year. Perhaps next year my personal income will rise again and I'll be like Arnold..."I'll be back!"

sastolfi
Black Friday Pro

Postby sastolfi » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:58 pm

I will not be going out this year either. There is nothing in the ads that is that attractive, just the normal sale ads. I too am on a very tight budget, husband has been laid off for a year and unemployment ran out for him. Waiting on getting his paperwork for the next extention. He got a holiday job at UPS but they hold back a weeks pays so no funds to BF shop. I have to say that I am disappointed not to be going but it is not that bad as I didn't see anything that my kids just had to have. Good luck to everyone out there, I hope you get what you are trying for.

Alias33
Black Friday Pro

Postby Alias33 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:02 pm

ditto to all post... very disappointed this year myself

zim05
Black Friday Pro

Postby zim05 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:04 pm

Hells to the no we are totally going out for BF!! Truthfully this year we found more things that we want than in the years past. I understand I'm in the minority though :D
For example from Target we need the following: 2 Westinghouses, inflatable mattress, 2 cozy blankets, guitar hero for wii, wii & PsP games, DVDs, indoor/outdoor temp, cordless drill and more. Walmart and Best Buy for DVDs mainly. Herbergers we want bedding, pillows, some shoes and various other things. Bath and Body Works for their VIP bags. And probably more because this is just off the top of my head!!

Are the deals the best we've seen - no not really but we are happy with the stuff being a bit cheaper than normal pricing!!

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”