Walmart Black Friday tips

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

reygato
Black Friday Pro

Just stick with a 24hour one

Postby reygato » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:38 pm

We have a 24 hour Walmart, and in spite of the fact that it has never been cleaned in the two and a half years it has been opened (it smells like rotting fish inside) The Doorbusters have been pretty easy there. Our town is the smallest and there are no other stores around, so if you want to shop at Walmart at 5AM then go, say to Target, or Circuit CIty or TOys R Us, you hae a 15 miles drive ahead of you. See if there is a more isolated Walmart 24hour near you. That will be less crowded because most people do not want to have to load up then drive for a while. (I load up the back of the truck, then drive it home and drop it off before going out of town)
Main reason is that there are two larger cleaner Walmarts in larger towns 12 miles either direction and one that is about 15 miles away that has a garden center that can put Home Depot's to shame
I have always gotten everything I wanted at 5 AM I have even picked things up, and on closer inspection, decided that they were not what I wanted and given them to someone else.
THe thing to do though is IF you think you want something, grab it, put it in your cart, and then decide later. You can always put it back before you pay for it.
Also, I would prioritize.
I did not plan to et a DVD player last year, but was just in the right place at the right time.
Lucky I guess
Check the brands, because sometimes the brands they offer are not good. My son wanted a TV for his room, I got a nicer name brand LED TV from circuit city .com online Thanksgiving only CHEAPER than what I would have paid for a comparable or lesser brand at WalMart
ALWAYS take a minute on Thursday to check online for one day online specials like on best Buy Circuit City etc They even delivered it free

As for Walmart, Prioritize. Get a basket and when you find what you want, stand near it, so when they cut the plastic or announce overhead "5AM" then you can get what you want.

One other thing.
Be nice
I helped some ladies load some items in their van after shopping in the parking lot. I do not work there, but they were having trouble and they were parked next to me. It made their day And Mine
Be nice to people and spread it on...it is contageous it is called Christmas Cheer or something. Appearantly, you do something nice for someone, and then it makes them happier and they do something nice for someone else and it goes on and on. Try it sometime

rachelmkg
Black Friday Amateur

Postby rachelmkg » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:18 pm

our walmart, in the past, closes down late thurs night. they have had mounties to over watch the lines on the next morning due to the people who sit in their car till store opens then rush the line.
we also have a Meijer's, which is 24 hours. Back in the day, you could go in say 5-6am and put all your stuff in your cart, then 7am (i said back in the day, when the early birds started at 7am) you just go through the ck out and on to the next store. If the stores were smart, they would have the latest starting bf sale, then you would be more tempted to stay in the store and shop after instead of running off to the next sale. isnt that the point anyway on getting you to buy more in their store? then why be the first to open and have everyone run in and out?

ajp-wbm
Black Friday Amateur

Postby ajp-wbm » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:55 pm

The Walmart by me is not a 24 hour job, but this year they are open on Thanksgiving for the first time in 10 years (or more). I'm thinking of going in to check out the locations of as many things as I can. Well worth it since I'm only 2 miles from home. This should also keep the line from starting too early. I can't imagine the store will allow a huge line while the store is open.

khaley
Black Friday Amateur

Postby khaley » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:32 pm

I live in a large city with many 24 hour walmarts and last year I got there at 5 am with hardly no line and in fact they didnt let you past the food department until 5 am so there was no chance to getting items early no matter how early you showed up.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:55 pm

It might be worth asking the store manager ahead of time exactly how that particular Wal-mart will be handling Black Friday. (Will they be letting people in early? Will they be giving out maps to where the Black Friday items are located? That sort of thing.) That way you'll have a better idea of when to show up and where you might want to wait. It is pretty much a sure thing that they will not let you touch the Black Friday sales items before the official start time.

It's likely that they'll have some sort of LCD HDTV (36" or similar) on sale, and the prices will be comparable to Black Friday prices at other retailers. The Black Friday ad will probably be leaked in the next week and you'll be able to know for certain ahead of time.

Berrslady
Black Friday Newbie

RE: Walmart Black Friday

Postby Berrslady » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:01 am

I have done Walmart for the last 5 years and live for Black Friday! Here are my suggestions:

1. Get as many friends together as you can! (Preferably anyone whom knows BF)

2. Station your friends at all the stores needed. Friend #1 is at Kmart, Friend #2 is at Best Buy, Friend 3 and 4 are at Walmart. etc.

3. Make a hard copy list of all needed, including for all your friends with you, for each store. Make copies of and give out.

Friend #1, 3,4 needed BlueTooth from Staples.

Friend 2, 4 needed Vtech System from Kmart. (Get the idea?)

4. Divide monies up to all friends. Friend #1 is at Kmart and I needed $60 in items, I give $60 plus tax to Friend #1, Friend # 2 is at Best Buy, and I need $125 from Best Buy so I give $125 plus tax to him. Get it? Friends 1 and 2 give me money for items needed at Walmart.

5. Walmart is a huge store in my area, 24hrs and such. I take no less than 3 ppl to Walmart with me. I station them in as follows. Friend 3 is on Food court isle, Friends 4 is at eletronics isle, Friends 5 is on Back Isle, I am on Toy isle, We rotate in clockwise motion around store, passing jewerly once, Second time around to jewerly we stop and wait for all friends to arrive. Divide and conquer! Each friend has a list 3 Ipods, 4 Hasbro Games, 2 Cabbage Patch Dolls, 7 Tonka trucks, etc. When we all arrive, divide items to each person, (Friends at other stores, I take care of them myself their money is in an evelope where I place receipt. Pay for theirs seperate which aggravates the cashier but hey its BF and all goes on BF!!)

6. I gather as many as friends for Black Friday as I can. I am at Walmart no later than 3 am. Kmart and others stores I place friends there as early as possible.

7. TAKE NO CHILDREN OR ELDERLY.

8, Pad your knees ( I am not kidding here) Line your ankles with as many as 10 bandaids each!!!!!

9. Anything goes on this morning, I can be kind, helpful, cheerful, delighted, but can turn witchy and very stingy in an instant. I dont care that you ran over my ankles but keep your hands out of my buggy!

10. The lines are really bad in Walmart, they are cramped and very very crowded, for the most part it will take you 10 minutes to make 5 ft.

11. Have a good arm? How about a great voice, dont be shy ask that person to toss you the item you need, even if there are 20 ppl between you and it.

12. When all is counted and tallied, when all is calm in your car, Deals are sealed and in the trunk, take a deep breath and then laugh about your adventure. We generally find a Restaurant and laugh. Of course this is about 9am when all 6 of us are together again.

If anyone is in Cleveland TN area and wants to join my group, I can usually get EVERYTHING on my list and we always have a great Breakfast, just send me a message!

Melia

reygato
Black Friday Pro

Postby reygato » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:45 pm

I'll drive up for BF Melia
Is it breakfast at Cracker Barrel?
Which store would you send me to?

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:30 pm

Berrslady wrote:7. TAKE NO CHILDREN OR ELDERLY.

I don't understand this rule. Why wouldn't you take children or elderly people along shopping on Black Friday? They can be a great asset if used wisely. The elderly can be used to hold a place in the checkout line. Children can be employed to create diversions or to steal items from other people's shopping carts. Very small children are especially suited for weaving under the legs of the crowd to reach the pallets of sale items. Both can be used to create obstacles for other shoppers while you grab doorbusters. Of all the strategies that I've seen used, I think that the most successful one is the roller derby method. This requires a team of five people. Three "blockers" hold up the crowd, allowing the "jammer" to grab sale items. An additional "pivot" on the team can be used for either offense or defense, alternating between blocking and jamming. One of the main differences between Black Friday shopping and roller derby is that you are allowed to use your elbows to knock people down when shopping.

lil_Jean
Black Friday Pro

Postby lil_Jean » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:53 pm

Shopper X wrote:
Berrslady wrote:7. TAKE NO CHILDREN OR ELDERLY.

I don't understand this rule. Why wouldn't you take children or elderly people along shopping on Black Friday? They can be a great asset if used wisely. The elderly can be used to hold a place in the checkout line. Children can be employed to create diversions or to steal items from other people's shopping carts. Very small children are especially suited for weaving under the legs of the crowd to reach the pallets of sale items. Both can be used to create obstacles for other shoppers while you grab doorbusters. Of all the strategies that I've seen used, I think that the most successful one is the roller derby method. This requires a team of five people. Three "blockers" hold up the crowd, allowing the "jammer" to grab sale items. An additional "pivot" on the team can be used for either offense or defense, alternating between blocking and jamming. One of the main differences between Black Friday shopping and roller derby is that you are allowed to use your elbows to knock people down when shopping.

You totally just talked me out of giving my two year old and eight month old to a babysitter for BF! :lol:

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Re: RE: Walmart Black Friday

Postby guitarist19862005 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:26 pm

Berrslady wrote:I have done Walmart for the last 5 years and live for Black Friday! Here are my suggestions:

1. Get as many friends together as you can! (Preferably anyone whom knows BF)

2. Station your friends at all the stores needed. Friend #1 is at Kmart, Friend #2 is at Best Buy, Friend 3 and 4 are at Walmart. etc.

3. Make a hard copy list of all needed, including for all your friends with you, for each store. Make copies of and give out.

Friend #1, 3,4 needed BlueTooth from Staples.

Friend 2, 4 needed Vtech System from Kmart. (Get the idea?)

4. Divide monies up to all friends. Friend #1 is at Kmart and I needed $60 in items, I give $60 plus tax to Friend #1, Friend # 2 is at Best Buy, and I need $125 from Best Buy so I give $125 plus tax to him. Get it? Friends 1 and 2 give me money for items needed at Walmart.

5. Walmart is a huge store in my area, 24hrs and such. I take no less than 3 ppl to Walmart with me. I station them in as follows. Friend 3 is on Food court isle, Friends 4 is at eletronics isle, Friends 5 is on Back Isle, I am on Toy isle, We rotate in clockwise motion around store, passing jewerly once, Second time around to jewerly we stop and wait for all friends to arrive. Divide and conquer! Each friend has a list 3 Ipods, 4 Hasbro Games, 2 Cabbage Patch Dolls, 7 Tonka trucks, etc. When we all arrive, divide items to each person, (Friends at other stores, I take care of them myself their money is in an evelope where I place receipt. Pay for theirs seperate which aggravates the cashier but hey its BF and all goes on BF!!)

6. I gather as many as friends for Black Friday as I can. I am at Walmart no later than 3 am. Kmart and others stores I place friends there as early as possible.

7. TAKE NO CHILDREN OR ELDERLY.

8, Pad your knees ( I am not kidding here) Line your ankles with as many as 10 bandaids each!!!!!

9. Anything goes on this morning, I can be kind, helpful, cheerful, delighted, but can turn witchy and very stingy in an instant. I dont care that you ran over my ankles but keep your hands out of my buggy!

10. The lines are really bad in Walmart, they are cramped and very very crowded, for the most part it will take you 10 minutes to make 5 ft.

11. Have a good arm? How about a great voice, dont be shy ask that person to toss you the item you need, even if there are 20 ppl between you and it.

12. When all is counted and tallied, when all is calm in your car, Deals are sealed and in the trunk, take a deep breath and then laugh about your adventure. We generally find a Restaurant and laugh. Of course this is about 9am when all 6 of us are together again.

If anyone is in Cleveland TN area and wants to join my group, I can usually get EVERYTHING on my list and we always have a great Breakfast, just send me a message!

Melia

You are now my hero. You took a lot of time to type out all of that stuff, but I think you should've saved it for yourself. You never know when you may be competing against some of the same people on here. :twisted:

Nah, in all seriousness, the best advice I can give anyone going into Wal-Mart that morning is to be prepared to be injured. I normally stroll in around 8:00 or so and it looks like a war zone.

justtobeme2
Black Friday Pro

Re: Walmart Black Friday tips

Postby justtobeme2 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:28 pm

gcline wrote:Hello everyone,
I have done the black friday thing before at CC waiting out in the cold, but this year I plan to do it at one of my local 24hr walmarts since I am planning to get a 32" HDTV. I know Kmart has an element for $400, but I hate Kmart and dont want a no name brand LCD TV. I know walmart has a few 32" for around $500 now. I think last year they had one for $450 for black friday.

Heres my plan and ideas

1) Show up and wait in line at 12-1am near the electronics section, or if they dont have the stuff "guarded" just put it in my cart and do my other shopping until 5am.

2)What are the chances and about what price will they have a 32" LCD HDTV for sale and at about what price (speculation)

Like I said, ive never did a walmart BF shop so any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :D

Uh last year I got a 42" Zenith (by LG) plasma TV at Kmart for $550.00...I love it and it's going strong!!!

Berrslady
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Berrslady » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:16 pm

Ok here are my reasons for not taking children and elderly.

1. Children Cry, whine and beg for items (you will spend more money).

2. Children get hungry and sleepy. (Ever have a 4 yr old cry and whine for breakfast and Black Friday is just starting??

3. Children get away quickly, you will spend most of time trying to keep track of them.

Elderly may have problems getting through the crowds, they also tire easily.

Black Friday is all out war especially at my Walmart. Besides why would you take children to pick out there own Christmas presents.

I must say that small children and the disabled elderly are not good for this kind of thing. I have seen people get hurt and I absolutely abhor ppl whom steal from other buggies. I do though suggest that you ask the ppl where they found certain items, many will tell you. Many ppl have picked up items for me and met me at jewerly with it. So there are perks at being nice. But I get awfully evil if you lift an item from my buggy!!!

As for the one whom wanted to join me in Cleveland this year, send me a private message with your phone # and I will give you a call, so far I have 5 going this year.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:14 am

I'll be serious this time and add one more tip to your list (which was excellent, by the way).

13. If you have the opportunity to get a rare doorbuster item that you aren't interested in, grab it anyway. You might be able to trade it with someone else who has an item that you want but weren't able to get. The same goes for multiple items, if they allow you to grab two items but you only need one.

barrett76
Black Friday Pro

Postby barrett76 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:02 am

14. If for some reason you missed out on an item, check the checkout lines and the return carts. Because people went ahead and got an item, they sometimes change their mind at the last minute and you can bet that they will not return it to the same place they found it. Best stores for this is Target and Kohls.

DotCom
Black Friday Pro

Postby DotCom » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:16 pm

What time have 24 Hour Wal-Marts been opening. I know that although they are 24 hours, for two days out of the year (Thanksgiving and Christmas) they close (well close early on Thanksgiving). I haven't done a Wal-Mart black friday in about 8-9 years. What's the latest? I imagine still black shrink wrap on pallets.

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”