Scalping Tickets @ BB

All Site Suggestions or General Black Friday Tips

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:55 pm

No i am not saying if you sell it cause you did it accidentally it makes you a good person. profiteering is profiteering I dont give a hoot if you mean to or not.
No if you dont have the money for the item without profitting off of someone else then I dont think you shoud buy the items period. I dont think you should buy a thousand dollar tv just cause you can raise a few hundred extra by profitting off of someone else. I think there is a concept called delayed gratification and just cause your a student doesnt mean you should have everything you want right this second just because you want it.

I am not that "old" but I am trying to teach my children that just because we can afford to do some things or buy some things that doesnt always make it right and that there are more important things than the hottest TV or video game or even stereo or MP3 or whatever... If they are lucky they will understand that lesson long before they make it to college and be able to decide what their priorities are in a better manner than by planning to rip other people off

Eddyisgreat
Black Friday Pro

Postby Eddyisgreat » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:01 pm

The Zach101 wrote: and I dont like fighting with any of you guys but...thanks I think? for haveing the last word? i dont know?

No no I was just saying im not going to bring it back up again or offer a rebuttal. Just keepin it simple :D

tigObitties
Black Friday Pro

Postby tigObitties » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:08 pm

The guy was not talking about the morality of the subject, he already said he doesnt care and you wont change his mind. There are people on both sides of the argument. This topic was started because he has some questions, wants advice and help. Another topic was locked because of this and we dont need this one to be locked either. If you have some advice give it otherwise we dont want to hear about you guys crying about scalpers. If you wanna start another thread about your opinions on scalping go ahead but here is not the place.

DJKezo what I did last year was post an ad on craigslist with what tickets I was going to sell. I had a few dozen calls with a bunch of offers for the hot ticket items. Some stores dont care that your selling your tickets so it just depends. I would start at the back and just say you didnt have enough money on your credit card to get everything you wanted and you would be willing to sell your voucher.

The Zach101
Black Friday Pro

Postby The Zach101 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:11 pm

Hey you know also if your not getting anything you could always sell your spot inline....I mean say your second..and its just you....you could auction your spot for 1 person! just 1 or if 2 of you are leaving then 2 people im sure the ones behind you wouldnt mind but if you got like 3 people and only you left...there would be some fighting.

DJKezo
Black Friday Pro

Postby DJKezo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:12 pm

for starters, i am helping these people make money with the expense of my time. lets say i'm out there from 10am on thanksgiving... thats 19 hours, so maybe i make 25 bucks an hour. whooptido bazzle

If you would not like to purchase my services or the services of individuals like me, then so be it. I'm not going to cut, so if you would like those tickets more than me i would be more than happy to respect you getting there before me. Otherwise, i am going to capitalize on missing thanksgiving, and i am going to make some cash.

I would also like to point out how rude all of you are being for hijacking my forum. But continue on at your anger. It only makes me want to charge you more. the people near you, in the back of the line, will receive a reasonable price, so they can still get their tv's and computers at an extremely discounted rate. I'm not here to screw people, I'm here to help.

arball
Black Friday Pro

Postby arball » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:16 pm

As a 21 year old student who has no problem bearing the cold, rain etc to camp out for BF from my trained years camping out for football tickets. I have my little pack and tent and know what to expect. I had the same intentions of selling vouchers this year that I might stand in line for. But after reading posts or other threads, I don't feel like missing out on the one item I'd like to actually purchase - a nice HDTV. What is the legality of this, how have people said police have gotten involved?

If I was hush hush about it, simply gotten my vouchers, approached other people at the back of the line and turned a buck, what's to come of it? Someone who is walking around with a sign going up and down the line I can definitely see getting jumped.

geoff5093
Black Friday Pro

Postby geoff5093 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:17 pm

I respect what you're saying, since time is money. Basically it's like they are paying you $50, $100, etc. to wait in line for them, which actually is a pretty good deal depending on the item.

How much money do you usually make on Black Friday if you don't mind me asking?

The Zach101
Black Friday Pro

Postby The Zach101 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:18 pm

DJKezo wrote:for starters, i am helping these people make money with the expense of my time. lets say i'm out there from 10am on thanksgiving... thats 19 hours, so maybe i make 25 bucks an hour. whooptido bazzle

If you would not like to purchase my services or the services of individuals like me, then so be it. I'm not going to cut, so if you would like those tickets more than me i would be more than happy to respect you getting there before me. Otherwise, i am going to capitalize on missing thanksgiving, and i am going to make some cash.

I would also like to point out how rude all of you are being for hijacking my forum. But continue on at your anger. It only makes me want to charge you more. the people near you, in the back of the line, will receive a reasonable price, so they can still get their tv's and computers at an extremely discounted rate. I'm not here to screw people, I'm here to help.

Depends on how you look at it by...helping...sure there are some people that get helped but the ones that would of gotten a ticket and didnt wouldnt be happy but if this is your first time doing this you will find that out....becareful the manager might not be happy about it either im not sure how that goes though. Plus the reason we get some upset is becuase im sure alot of the people here are the ones that stayed out 18 1/2 hours and missed the ticket caz u got the last and im not like yellin at ya im just explaining our point of view. I dont think anyone here would be happy if the person nfront of them got an extra ticket that he/she wanted but now doesnt have becuase you want a few extra bucks but hey do what you will.

DJKezo
Black Friday Pro

Postby DJKezo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:20 pm

hey the zach and bitties, thanks for getting us back on subject.

--Bitties--
In years past i have gone for a smaller BB, this year i'm going to the bigger one in my area. I like the craigslist idea, but from past experience, i will not hold tickets for anyone. I dont usually give excuses, i'm just offering the tickets... take them or leave them.

--The zach--
I have thought about the idea of trying to sell my spot in years past. the advantage i have is every year i go with my cousin and we split whatever we make off of our 2 sets of tickets. We have thought about trying to sell one of our spots in years past, but we dont know how pissy best buy would get if we had a sign that said "spot for sale $700 obo" i think we might try it tho. no reason not to. If we got a good enough offer for both i guess we would go for it, but usually we are looking to get something inside. another thing ive noticed, is that target has really good deals on BF and hardly any lines. If i have to i'll just jump in their line to get my tv with all the money i made on selling my spot.

The Zach101
Black Friday Pro

Postby The Zach101 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:24 pm

Yeah Target has very little lines...I got there at 3 and I was 15th in line got everythign I wanted

DJKezo
Black Friday Pro

Postby DJKezo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:26 pm

arball--

Look at your state laws. some have scalping laws and some do not. In indiana, where i live, there is scalping laws but only on Boxing, NCAA, and the super bowl. The only thing i could get nabbed for is tresspassing, so when they ask me to leave i leave, but as stated in my first post, all the big ticket items are still in the front with my partner, ready for a 3rd guy to come in and sell if needed. extra expense, but sometimes needed.

geoff--
last year i pulled $300 cash and a round trip flight to phoenix (prearranged... haha thatd be awesome night of getting offered that though.) that was at a small store. This year i'm going big.

DJKezo
Black Friday Pro

Postby DJKezo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:28 pm

And as stated in my first posting when i initially created the thread, I'm not trying to be the douche. If someone near me doesn't get a ticket for something they have been talking about all night, it's theirs.

tigObitties
Black Friday Pro

Postby tigObitties » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:36 pm

DJKezo wrote:hey the zach and bitties, thanks for getting us back on subject.

--Bitties--
In years past i have gone for a smaller BB, this year i'm going to the bigger one in my area. I like the craigslist idea, but from past experience, i will not hold tickets for anyone. I dont usually give excuses, i'm just offering the tickets... take them or leave them.

You will get alot of calls just tell them they have to be there right when they hand out the tickets then you can sell it to them after. Otherwise just sell them in line.

As for the legal issue. Its only illegal to sell the tickets for more then the value of them. Unless they print a price like 1 cent on the ticket they cant arrest you. They could tell you to leave premises and arrest you if you return.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:38 pm

I think there are a combination ot things that make some of us angry when you talk about it. To me it is the same thing as the gas station who saw what happened on 9-11 and raised their price to 5$ a gallon without any rhyme or reason other than to profit off of peoples fear.
I think that particularly when you say im going to be first, ill sit out there MONDAY cause you can and then say at the same time that you dont want most of the stuff simply to PROFIT enough to get what you want for free. How is that not taking advantage of people? I have sat out there 12-15 hours at a time and I have gotten most of the deals I want, I am willing to do a certain amount of bargaining, HOWEVER I dont think that taking advantage of peoples needs is the way to get what I want.
I think that is somewhat the way you profit by adding to peoples fears that they may not get something they need...
It capitalizes on fears and makes them think they have to give in to you...its actually in my book kinda like the old style mob guys who used to charge merchants for "protection" making them worry that they had to pay....
steff

The Zach101
Black Friday Pro

Postby The Zach101 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:42 pm

steffj89 wrote:I think there are a combination ot things that make some of us angry when you talk about it. To me it is the same thing as the gas station who saw what happened on 9-11 and raised their price to 5$ a gallon without any rhyme or reason other than to profit off of peoples fear.
I think that particularly when you say im going to be first, ill sit out there MONDAY cause you can and then say at the same time that you dont want most of the stuff simply to PROFIT enough to get what you want for free. How is that not taking advantage of people? I have sat out there 12-15 hours at a time and I have gotten most of the deals I want, I am willing to do a certain amount of bargaining, HOWEVER I dont think that taking advantage of peoples needs is the way to get what I want.
I think that is somewhat the way you profit by adding to peoples fears that they may not get something they need...
It capitalizes on fears and makes them think they have to give in to you...its actually in my book kinda like the old style mob guys who used to charge merchants for "protection" making them worry that they had to pay....
steff

Agreed

Return to “Suggestions and Tips”